The Student Room Group

MML Applicants 2022

Sorry if this is the wrong place/I've missed another thread but I thought it would be reassuring to have a place to talk about the application process like there was for the 2021 applicants.

Maybe it would be good to break the ice and post some info about yourself and your application?

Languages applying for:
College:
A Level subjects and grades:
(AS):
GCSEs:
Extra curriculars/personal statement:

If this thread stays up and people interact then I'll post my answers as well hahaha

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I'm a current MMLer so if anyone has any Qs, lmk :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by redmeercat
Hey! I'm a current MMLer so if anyone has any Qs, lmk :smile:

What languages are you studying? :smile:
Original post by phys_X_
What languages are you studying? :smile:

French, German and Greek!
Reply 4
French, German and Greek!

Oh wow, that's super interesting! I really like how Cambridge allow you to pick up a third language as one of your scheduled papers, would love to do that if I got in haha.
I've just finished writing my personal statement and am starting to think about what work I can submit. Do you have any tips for what I should be looking to do in order to refine the PS and choose essays that are good enough to submit?
Original post by phys_X_
Oh wow, that's super interesting! I really like how Cambridge allow you to pick up a third language as one of your scheduled papers, would love to do that if I got in haha.
I've just finished writing my personal statement and am starting to think about what work I can submit. Do you have any tips for what I should be looking to do in order to refine the PS and choose essays that are good enough to submit?

With the essays, I don't think either of my essays were A* grade essays... they were good, but not the highest level possible. I think they were good to submit though because they showed me making an effort to use a range of grammatical structures, to put across my point of view, and generally use idiomatic language. Obviously, choose the highest quality of work you've done. Just, if possible, choose work on topics you're interested in too! But of course I'm not an admissions tutor so I couldn't tell you if this actually is how it works.

With the PS, think of it as a love letter to your subject. Does it come across as a list of reasons why you'd be a good student, or as you explaining why you love languages and why you individually have the subject knowledge and interest to do well at Cambs?
Reply 6
With the essays, I don't think either of my essays were A* grade essays... they were good, but not the highest level possible. I think they were good to submit though because they showed me making an effort to use a range of grammatical structures, to put across my point of view, and generally use idiomatic language. Obviously, choose the highest quality of work you've done. Just, if possible, choose work on topics you're interested in too! But of course I'm not an admissions tutor so I couldn't tell you if this actually is how it works.

With the PS, think of it as a love letter to your subject. Does it come across as a list of reasons why you'd be a good student, or as you explaining why you love languages and why you individually have the subject knowledge and interest to do well at Cambs?

Hopefully my PS does a good job at that hahaha.
You've reassured me a bit regarding the written work so I thank you for that. I was worried they'd have to be incredibly insightful or something
Hiii it’s nice to see someone else applying for MML :smile:
Languages applying for: Spanish and German ab initio
College: St Catharine’s
A Level subjects and grades: English lit, Spanish and Psychology A* A* A*
(AS):
GCSEs: 9999999998
Extra curriculars/personal statement: i read a few books in german translation and explored some spanish documentaries!
Reply 8
Original post by vee3567322
Hiii it’s nice to see someone else applying for MML :smile:
Languages applying for: Spanish and German ab initio
College: St Catharine’s
A Level subjects and grades: English lit, Spanish and Psychology A* A* A*
(AS):
GCSEs: 9999999998
Extra curriculars/personal statement: i read a few books in german translation and explored some spanish documentaries!

You sound like a great candidate! I'll add my contribution to the post now I guess haha

Languages applying for: Spanish and ab initio Italian
College: Downing
A Level subjects and grades: Spanish, English Lit, Biology, Welsh Baccalaureate - A*A*A*A*
(AS): AAA
GCSEs: 11A* 2A
Extra curriculars/personal statement: My PS is mostly geared towards linguistics, some books I read, and my welsh bacc project which i'm writing on Argentinian Spanish!

Where else are you applying?
Original post by phys_X_
You sound like a great candidate! I'll add my contribution to the post now I guess haha

Languages applying for: Spanish and ab initio Italian
College: Downing
A Level subjects and grades: Spanish, English Lit, Biology, Welsh Baccalaureate - A*A*A*A*
(AS): AAA
GCSEs: 11A* 2A
Extra curriculars/personal statement: My PS is mostly geared towards linguistics, some books I read, and my welsh bacc project which i'm writing on Argentinian Spanish!

Where else are you applying?

thank you, so do you! your project sounds interesting. i’m doing my independent research project on Argentina’s dictatorship.

I’m thinking of applying to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Manchester and Southampton, although I’m not sure. How about you?
Reply 10
thank you, so do you! your project sounds interesting. i’m doing my independent research project on Argentina’s dictatorship.

I’m thinking of applying to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Manchester and Southampton, although I’m not sure. How about you?

Ahh that’s so cool, which dictatorship are you writing about?

I’ve actually sent off UCAS already so my choices are locked in haha. I’ve applied for St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Manchester, and Durham :smile:
Original post by phys_X_
Ahh that’s so cool, which dictatorship are you writing about?

I’ve actually sent off UCAS already so my choices are locked in haha. I’ve applied for St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Manchester, and Durham :smile:

Videla. I’m thinking of researching his crimes specifically and exploring whether his life sentence was proportionate to them! What exactly are you researching about Argentinian Spanish?

Oh wow our choices are quite similar then, that’s so cool. At one point I actually liked St. Andrews more than Cambridge but I’m not sure anymore
Reply 12
Videla. I’m thinking of researching his crimes specifically and exploring whether his life sentence was proportionate to them! What exactly are you researching about Argentinian Spanish?

Oh wow our choices are quite similar then, that’s so cool. At one point I actually liked St. Andrews more than Cambridge but I’m not sure anymore

The St. Andrews course is definitely amazing as well, I love how you can do three languages from first year. If I get offers from both then it will be my insurance for sure and if Cambridge rejects me then hopefully I’ll go there haha

The project is looking at how the languages and ‘dialects’ of Italy have shaped Argentine Spanish :smile:
Original post by phys_X_
The St. Andrews course is definitely amazing as well, I love how you can do three languages from first year. If I get offers from both then it will be my insurance for sure and if Cambridge rejects me then hopefully I’ll go there haha

The project is looking at how the languages and ‘dialects’ of Italy have shaped Argentine Spanish :smile:

Yes i think that’s what i’ll do too! the only thing that puts me off is that there aren’t many options in linguistics.

Also that sounds so interesting! Good luck with that :smile:
Seeing as I can't seem to find a threat for Cambridge languages applicants for 2022 entry, I have taken it upon myself to create one!

Answer the following questions below:
Which languages? Post A-Level Spanish and Italian

Grades? 9999999997 at GCSE and A*A*A* at A-Level (achieved)

Gap year or year 13 applicant? Gap year

Supracurriculars? Reading postcolonial and realist literature and watching films that deal with these themes.

How many books have you read? 5/6

Which college? Corpus Christi

How are you going to prepare for the interview?
I am going to do further reading and do specimen MML papers
Original post by conphusedstudent
Seeing as I can't seem to find a threat for Cambridge languages applicants for 2022 entry, I have taken it upon myself to create one!

Supracurriculars? Reading postcolonial and realist literature and watching films that deal with these themes.

Hiya, there is already a thread for this (I've now moved you into it). Happy posting :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by conphusedstudent

Same languages! So did you do Italian at A Level? That's so cool, I wish I could have done that hahaha.

Which books have you read, any recommendations?
Reply 17
Original post by phys_X_
Sorry if this is the wrong place/I've missed another thread but I thought it would be reassuring to have a place to talk about the application process like there was for the 2021 applicants.

Maybe it would be good to break the ice and post some info about yourself and your application?

Languages applying for:
College:
A Level subjects and grades:
(AS):
GCSEs:
Extra curriculars/personal statement:

If this thread stays up and people interact then I'll post my answers as well hahaha

hi!!
french and spanish
jesus
spanish, english + music predicted AAA
nat5s AAAAABB highers AAAAB
Reply 18
Original post by morg124
hi!!
french and spanish
jesus
spanish, english + music predicted AAA
nat5s AAAAABB highers AAAAB

Do you have an outside qualification in French? I ask because I didn't think you could do it ab initio
Reply 19
Original post by phys_X_
Do you have an outside qualification in French? I ask because I didn't think you could do it ab initio

no you cant do ab initio, i have a higher in French (AS level) and am currently getting a level 7 qualification (equivalent to A level) outside of school, unfortunately due to lack of numbers in my school and surrounding schools i wasn't able to take French at Advanced Higher :frown: have mentioned this in my SAQ so hoping for the best?? do you think this might affect my chance of getting accepted?
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest