The Student Room Group

Work life in the civil service - daunting

Hey,

Going to start my first Civil Service job hopefully (if I don't change my mind) but having never worked in the Civil Service it's quite daunting and since we've had the pandemic too.

Would people say it's like working for the NHS or is it like working for a company in the private sector?

I know the Civil Service has many departments and is in the public sector but does anyone have any general idea of how the work life is like? Is it a very deadline oriented job? How do you progress to other jobs? Should you make a LinkedIn account? Are you able to work from home? Are they a flexible employer?

I have contacted the employer direct to find some of the above questions out but just like to see it from other employees perspective. I just don't want to have a shock 😲 if it doesn't turn out the way I expected. I will go into the role open-minded because you just have too in this corporate world.

I'm not worried about job redundancies as someone already posted that's very rare. It's more about fitting in.

I hope someone can share their experience.
(edited 2 years ago)
First, congrats on getting the job. I have done many jobs in the civil service and really enjoyed most of them. You can move around by applying for vacancies and there is a multitude of roles. At the moment the working from home is 1 day in office 4 at home, but eventually, this will be 3 in office 2 at home. I have a lot of freedom on planning my day, but I am a Senior Officer. I do give my team a lot of freedom to complete their work and do not believe in micro management, trust people to undertake their work and you get better results. Some areas maybe different, where are you starting?
Reply 2
Original post by Stephen W
First, congrats on getting the job. I have done many jobs in the civil service and really enjoyed most of them. You can move around by applying for vacancies and there is a multitude of roles. At the moment the working from home is 1 day in office 4 at home, but eventually, this will be 3 in office 2 at home. I have a lot of freedom on planning my day, but I am a Senior Officer. I do give my team a lot of freedom to complete their work and do not believe in micro management, trust people to undertake their work and you get better results. Some areas maybe different, where are you starting?

Thanks for the reply. Is the work from home a from 4 to 2 a personal change or had the government told civil service they need to be back more in the office?
It's very good, im a grade 6 in the DWP and we have a system of "flexi leave" where we can finish early or do longer hours and can take off as leave as we wish. Well done on the job - any Qs feel free to PM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending