Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi my son did his ucat today and scored 2860
A level predictions are A* chemistry and biology
A in maths
A in EPQ

Only downfall is GCSE English language which was a 5, with the rest of his GCSEs being 9/8

Any ideas on chances (has anyone had similar grades and got in?)

He is looking at Bristol
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Misshappy134)
A in maths
A in EPQ

Only downfall is GCSE English language which was a 5, with the rest of his GCSEs being 9/8

He is looking at Bristol
No idea about his Ucat performance but Bristol only want a 4 at GCSE English language, so why is that a problem?
Googley_eyes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A in maths
A in EPQ

He is looking at Bristol
Retake the language and he can get in anywhere. A 5 isn’t bad, but if he wants to go to a top uni then they’ll want higher.
Misshappy134
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
No idea about his Ucat performance but Bristol only want a 4 at GCSE English language, so why is that a problem?
It just cuts down the amount of Unis he can apply too! I think he can only apply to Bristol or Exeter and I know competition is high for medicine. Just wondered what his chances are with his other results
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It just cuts down the amount of Unis he can apply too! I think he can only apply to Bristol or Exeter and I know competition is high for medicine. Just wondered what his chances are with his other results
Why hasn't he retaken?
Misshappy134
Rep:
?
Why hasn't he retaken?
Because it was the beginning of the whole covid saga and at the time he didn’t realise he wanted to study medicine! It wasn’t until he realised he wanted to be a Dr that he looked at what he needed and realised a 5 wasn’t great! Also I believe some Unis don’t accept a resit
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because it was the beginning of the whole covid saga and at the time he didn’t realise he wanted to study medicine! It wasn’t until he realised he wanted to be a Dr that he looked at what he needed and realised a 5 wasn’t great! Also I believe some Unis don’t accept a resit
Hmm ok. But a 5 is likely to be problematic no matter the subject. Has he got 3 other medical schools to which he can apply with that grade?
Misshappy134
Rep:
?
Hmm ok. But a 5 is likely to be problematic no matter the subject. Has he got 3 other medical schools to which he can apply with that grade?
Only Bristol and Exeter I believe will take a 5 in English language!
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you double checked on e.g. the second link on this page?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6679038
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bristol, Cambridge, Exeter, Newcastle, Plymouth, QUB and Leeds (though GCSE scoring is a large part of both of their selection scoring) and possibly St Andrews (they consider a 5 as a B but are a bit vague on exact GCSE requirements) will accept a 5 in Eng Lang.
Glasgow have apparently said they will accept a C/5 in Eng Lang with a 6/B in Eng Lit

Cambridge and Leeds are BMAT. Exeter use A levels primarily and unless contextual, really need A*A*A* predicted.

Bristol Newcastle, Plymouth, Glasgow, St Andrews and probably QUB (depends on other GCSEs) would all be OK with his stats, by the look of it
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well, there you go ^
Misshappy134
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Bristol, Cambridge, Exeter, Newcastle, Plymouth, QUB and Leeds (though GCSE scoring is a large part of both of their selection scoring) and possibly St Andrews (they consider a 5 as a B but are a bit vague on exact GCSE requirements) will accept a 5 in Eng Lang.
Glasgow have apparently said they will accept a C/5 in Eng Lang with a 6/B in Eng Lit

Cambridge and Leeds are BMAT. Exeter use A levels primarily and unless contextual, really need A*A*A* predicted.

Bristol Newcastle, Plymouth, Glasgow, St Andrews and probably QUB (depends on other GCSEs) would all be OK with his stats, by the look of it
Brilliant, thanks for that!
Misshappy134
Rep:
?
Well, there you go ^
Brilliant, thanks for your help! Gives him a few more options!
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Brilliant, thanks for your help! Gives him a few more options!
Many more. Though you might want to nudge him to do more thorough research. 😃
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Brilliant, thanks for that!
Just seen your post in the other thread - scrub out QUB, as not enough 9/8s in his GCSEs
Misshappy134
Rep:
?
Many more. Though you might want to nudge him to do more thorough research. 😃
Definitely! I know he is really keen on Bristol, but I think we need more choices!
Misshappy134
Rep:
?
Just seen your post in the other thread - scrub out QUB, as not enough 9/8s in his GCSEs
Ok that’s great. He still has a few more choices than he originally thought! Is 2860 a decent ucat sore?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok that’s great. He still has a few more choices than he originally thought! Is 2860 a decent ucat sore?
Yes, it should be enough for all UCAT unis, though Bristol, Newcastle and Glasgow were around 2820/2830 last year, with St ANdrews probably just below this for RUK
Misshappy134
Rep:
?
Yes, it should be enough for all UCAT unis, though Bristol, Newcastle and Glasgow were around 2820/2830 last year, with St ANdrews probably just below this for RUK
That’s great! Thanks for all your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (114)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.08%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads