The Student Room Group

Am I a "fresher" or "older member" in my uni society?

With covid regulations basically gone, socials can happen this year at uni, and there's quite a few planned already. One of them is by the swimming society, but I think only the recreational squad (there's two squads, the other one is competitive) and it's next Wednesday.

However, there is a theme to it, and i'm really confused about it. The theme is chicken for freshers and farmers for older members. The freshers also have to bring a raw egg with them, which I think is for initiation.

The issue is I'm a second year, and I've not had the initiation, and in an earlier post on Facebook they said that initiations would take place also for the people who didn't have one last year. So I'm not sure if I'm classed as a fresher in this instance or as older, and it really does affect the night because if I was a fresher I would have an egg with me, but if I wasn't then I'd just be bringing booze.

Any help would be great, I am thinking of messaging the social sec just to clarify who's also a second year, but anxiety likes to butt in occasionally which is why I'm not doing that straight away.
I would assume you are a fresher to the society as you are a new member?
Original post by Catherine1973
I would assume you are a fresher to the society as you are a new member?

This is what I'm confused about, I joined last year but didn't go to anything because of covid, so I am technically starting fresh but on the books I'm not
You are obviously not a fresher but you are to that society, I think it probs doesn't really matter as long as you show up!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Jonasaurus13
With covid regulations basically gone, socials can happen this year at uni, and there's quite a few planned already. One of them is by the swimming society, but I think only the recreational squad (there's two squads, the other one is competitive) and it's next Wednesday.

However, there is a theme to it, and i'm really confused about it. The theme is chicken for freshers and farmers for older members. The freshers also have to bring a raw egg with them, which I think is for initiation.

The issue is I'm a second year, and I've not had the initiation, and in an earlier post on Facebook they said that initiations would take place also for the people who didn't have one last year. So I'm not sure if I'm classed as a fresher in this instance or as older, and it really does affect the night because if I was a fresher I would have an egg with me, but if I wasn't then I'd just be bringing booze.

Any help would be great, I am thinking of messaging the social sec just to clarify who's also a second year, but anxiety likes to butt in occasionally which is why I'm not doing that straight away.

Message the social sec. If your new to the society this year they’ll probably expect you to wear the fresher/chicken outfit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending