The Student Room Group

how to make friends at freshers?

so i just moved in at sunderland. my roommates bonded immediately, they’re really girly girls. they kinda ignored me every time i walked past.. i’m more alternative and i’ve never been to a party or had tons of friends in college and school. i don’t really know where to start or meet people, that’s the issue. any advice would be really appreciated!! please don’t say just go to club nights because i’ve never been to one
You sound a lot like me lmao. Im literally not going to any freshers events because im travelling from home. But I’d say the only way to put yourself out there is to take the first step in starting a conversation. Usually when I’m in an awkward situation and I don’t know how to start, I just compliment something about them.
Also, there’s events that aren’t clubs, I don’t know for your uni but cafes and stuff on campus usually do events in the daytime too.
I’m also going in with the mindset I don’t need to make a lot of friends, just a few really good ones. :smile: I hope that helps.
Good luck xx
Original post by Anonymous
so i just moved in at sunderland. my roommates bonded immediately, they’re really girly girls. they kinda ignored me every time i walked past.. i’m more alternative and i’ve never been to a party or had tons of friends in college and school. i don’t really know where to start or meet people, that’s the issue. any advice would be really appreciated!! please don’t say just go to club nights because i’ve never been to one

I'm studying at Sunderland this year as a first year. I'm not living in student accommodation so I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to meet people too. I'm thinking of going to some of the freshers events this week but I don't really know how to meet people either. Please feel free to message me as I think we're in a similar situation!
Reply 3
Your course and course mates are the biggest part. Plus join a couple of interesting societies which you will enjoy and meet like minded folk. And keep making a bit of an effort with the people you live with, just in case. It will be fine

Hi there,

First of all, congrats for getting into University! :biggrin:

Second of all, don't fret too much about not getting on with your house immediately - this is really common! Overtime, things do become a lot easier and a lot less 'clique-y', so all you can do in the meantime is be as friendly as you possibly can. Once the academic year starts, you can then start making friends with people on your course through seminars, lectures etc. Yes, sometimes it can feel as though you're back in year 7 introducing yourself, but just remind yourself that everyone's in the same boat all looking to make friends :smile: Try and put yourself out there as much as you feel comfortable doing so, get involved in anything that catches your eye, and you'll naturally find yourself making friends.

I hope that's helpful, best of luck to you!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.

Have you checked out the range of events the SU are hosting? Not everything is party/club related and there's something to suit everyone.You could also try joining a club or society, this is a great way of meeting people with a common interest.

Hey,
Sorry to hear you've not bonded with your flatmates right away. I personally found my friends more through my course and through getting involved with the dance club. Freshers is a great time to meet people too, have you got involved with any of the events? If you're after something more chill, the SU are hosting a range of events during the day, and it's a great time to join a society too. How are you finding your course so far? Maybe it's worth setting up a study group or a group chat or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending