The Student Room Group

University lecturers may strike *again*

I'm torn by this topic.

I understand no one wants to feel exploited. However, being an academic is such an enormous honour and privilege, I struggle to fully sympathise. At least within the physical sciences, every academic knows they can leave and get paid way more in industry (with better hours, less admin, and fewer students!!!). In physics especially, the hop to finance / tech is pretty simple. People do it because it's a labour of love and, as mentioned before, a huge honour and privilege. Frankly, if there was a lecturer in my field who didn't want to continue, I would ecstatically take over - alas, I will have to make do with the fact I will probably never be an academic. :frown:

So, I want to hear what others have to say.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I think it's hard to think of it as an honour or a privilege if you're getting treated poorly :/
I'd be more shocked if they didn't really. Seems an annual event.
The university experience, especially for humanities is pretty much destroyed at this point. We're paying £9K a year for online teaching and striking lecturers.
A lot of the current strikes and other industrial action is around staff or course cuts
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7064476
This is nothing short of university staff being selfish if they do end up striking. They've received their full salary all the way through the pandemic and generally have good job security, yet are willing to ruin the 'university experience' even more by being greedy about their pay. If they are that unhappy with being a university lecturer, they could just quit without having to disrupt the education of millions of students.
Disappointed but not surprised.
Reply 7
Whats wrong with striking for better working conditions? Just because you chose a career because you love it doesnt mean you have to troll over and be treated like ****, low paid **** at that.

Quick Reply

Latest