Breastfeeding in public, acceptable or not?

Watch
U33B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So, I was in London the other day and as I got on the tube I look to my left and I saw a woman breastfeeding with the tube packed full of people. I was shocked but I was more shocked at the baby who was directly staring at me whilst suckling so I stared at him back and thankfully won the contest. Trust me I was ready to throw hands loooool. Anyways since that incident, it got me thinking, is breastfeeding in public acceptable or would you politely ask the person to not do that in public? What is your opinion?
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’d just mind my own business.
Don’t have an issue with it.
marple
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by U33B)
So, I was in London the other day and as I got on the tube I look to my left and I saw a woman breastfeeding with the tube packed full of people. I was shocked but I was more shocked at the baby who was directly staring at me whilst suckling so I stared at him back and thankfully won the contest. Trust me I was ready to throw hands loooool. Anyways since that incident, it got me thinking, is breastfeeding in public acceptable or would you politely ask the person to not do that in public? What is your opinion?
Of course it's acceptable. How do you think babies feed? Grow up.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It should be.
gracieee16
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
InfiniteWill
sister of turtle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by marple)
100% agree with you here. Is a woman's body really so shameful or disgusting to you that it can't be shown in public?
gracieee16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it’s not a big deal....
U33B
Rep:
?
(Original post by marple)
Well i am asking because I once asked my manager what she would do and she said would ask the person to go somewhere else and not do it in public. However my other colleague overheard the conversation and got all defensive and said, well if a baby needs milk you have to give it to them and plus its only breasts, its not like she is stripping naked now is she. But my manager said there is something called dignity and respect, we know it is important for the baby to have the milk, but its also important to have respect for others.
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
she's just feeding her baby...
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by U33B)
Well i am asking because I once asked my manager what she would do and she said would ask the person to go somewhere else and not do it in public. However my other colleague overheard the conversation and got all defensive and said, well if a baby needs milk you have to give it to them and plus its only breasts, its not like she is stripping naked now is she. But my manager said there is something called dignity and respect, we know it is important for the baby to have the milk, but its also important to have respect for others.
Your manager is a moron. Your colleague was correct.
U33B
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
she's just feeding her baby...
What would your reply be to people who say, you should do that where no one is looking, not in front of other people?.
InfiniteWill
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gracieee16)
InfiniteWill

(Original post by gracieee16)
it’s not a big deal....
agree with this... shouldn't bother people who are mature imo. 99% of the people were breastfed so it should be fine. Especially if the mother has a hectic day.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by U33B)
What would your reply be to people who say, you should do that where no one is looking, not in front of other people?.
Do they always eat in private when no one is looking? Doubt it. If they get offended by an exposed bit f skin whilst a baby is feeding, they need to grow up.
U33B
Rep:
?
(Original post by InfiniteWill)

agree with this... shouldn't bother people who are mature imo. 99% of the people were breastfed so it should be fine. Especially if the mother has a hectic day.
Yes but what if there are children around or people who feel uncomfortable, how would you explain that to your child?. Would not tell them to go somewhere else?.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by U33B)
Yes but what if there are children around or people who feel uncomfortable, how would you explain that to your child?. Would not tell them to go somewhere else?.
What's there to explain other than that a baby is eating?!
U33B
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
What's there to explain other than that a baby is eating?!
Yes I understand that but some might say its bit like a woman wearing clothes which exposes her cleavage and she expects others to not stare. Why wear it in the first place?. What if you`re from a religious background or something and you see that?. BTW i am not against any type of clothes, you wear what you like, i was just making a point.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Asking someone to stop breastfeeding is a recipe to get a slap. Quite rightly too.
Little pecker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Noty
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I get that babies need to be fed but it's an uncomfortable thing for many people in a public area. Not that either of those things can be helped.
OP: I don't know why you needed to do a staring challenge with a baby...
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It should be illegal. Spreading corruption and immorality in the land.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (238)
57.49%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.8%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.35%

Watched Threads