How to make friends while not at Uni?

Watch
Aprils_Renegade
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m 22 and normally I study at Exeter, but I’ve interrupted from my studies for a year due to personal reasons. I’m back home in Bath with my parents, and while I’m home I feel kind of lonely because I don’t have any friends to go out with.

My friends are back in Exeter, and my friends from home have either already graduated or are doing their own thing somewhere else, so I don’t have many friends back home. I still like going out and clubbing and I wish I had a group to do it with in Bath, but I’m not a student there and don’t know anyone that studies there so I don’t have a way to make friends.

What do I do? I feel weird going to clubs by myself or asking a group of people if I can join them. I lost a year of social life to the pandemic while at Uni, so I haven’t had my fill of going out.
3mptyhead
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aprils_Renegade)
I’m 22 and normally I study at Exeter, but I’ve interrupted from my studies for a year due to personal reasons. I’m back home in Bath with my parents, and while I’m home I feel kind of lonely because I don’t have any friends to go out with.

My friends are back in Exeter, and my friends from home have either already graduated or are doing their own thing somewhere else, so I don’t have many friends back home. I still like going out and clubbing and I wish I had a group to do it with in Bath, but I’m not a student there and don’t know anyone that studies there so I don’t have a way to make friends.

What do I do? I feel weird going to clubs by myself or asking a group of people if I can join them. I lost a year of social life to the pandemic while at Uni, so I haven’t had my fill of going out.
download bumble! and use the bff function. i've met some rly nice friends on there. if you have any strong interests or hobbies you could also find local people online who are into the same things and make friends that way.
also i have gone to clubs alone many times it is scary at first but TRUST ME it is worth it.. have some liquid courage then go to the toilet or smoking area and try and talk to someone. either tell them the truth that you came alone (i've done this plenty of times and every single time i get the response of "that's so cool i wish i had the guts to do that") orrr if you're really embarrassed you can make a lie and say your friend has ditched you for a guy orrr something
Aprils_Renegade
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve heard that Bumble has that feature, but I get the impression no-one takes it seriously. And isn’t it kind of a catch-22 as well? The people that are looking to make friends on Bumble might not have any either.

As for going to clubs, it’s crossed my mind to do that exact strategy and make friends in the smoking area - I normally strike up conversations there on a night out. But there’s something about going to a club alone that would just mess with my mindset - I’d be more reserved and in my own head, compared to if I came with at least one friend or if I knew someone that was going then it would be a different ball game. Have you tried this yourself?
I know it might sound like I’m looking for faults or excuses, the idea of it and seeming like a loner is pretty scary ngl
3mptyhead
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aprils_Renegade)
I’ve heard that Bumble has that feature, but I get the impression no-one takes it seriously. And isn’t it kind of a catch-22 as well? The people that are looking to make friends on Bumble might not have any either.

As for going to clubs, it’s crossed my mind to do that exact strategy and make friends in the smoking area - I normally strike up conversations there on a night out. But there’s something about going to a club alone that would just mess with my mindset - I’d be more reserved and in my own head, compared to if I came with at least one friend or if I knew someone that was going then it would be a different ball game. Have you tried this yourself?
I know it might sound like I’m looking for faults or excuses, the idea of it and seeming like a loner is pretty scary ngl
Everyone i spoke to on bumble took it seriously and i physically met up with 2 of them and both times were great!.. and again both girls had other friends too they just wanted to make new friends. other profiles on there mentioned they wanted to meet people to do certain things with (for example clubbing if their friends aren't into it as much). but even if that person doesn't have any friends so what at least you made 1! and then that can lead on to the club situation.. you two could go out together and make more friends at the club!

Yeah i've been to clubs in multiple situations, completely alone, with someone i dont know too well, with best friends and with a huge group of people. admittedly no matter what situation i always am that person that makes friends with strangers but i actually find it easier to do this when im completely alone. i think the opposite of you. if i am completely alone then theres no one there who knows me to judge me .. i dont really care about what a stranger thinks. but as i said before i have never had an issue making friends when ive been completely alone. i usually always end up spending the whole night with the first girls i approach. as i said no one will think you are a loner. just explain your situation most of the time they will respect you for stepping out of your comfort zone to have fun and make friends.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (239)
57.45%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.74%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.06%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.65%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.33%

Watched Threads