The Student Room Group

What is the worst AS grade you could for maths get but still get an A* at A-level?

Hi I got a B at AS maths.

And I want to know whether it is realistic or possible for me to get an A* in maths if I work as hard as I can. Don't sugar-coat. Thanks
Of course it is- and many people I know have. You just have to work hard enough!
I mean someone could get literally full marks at AS and still end up failing the A-Level - it doesn't matter how you've done in the past, but what you do now to improve. Of course, if you work in exactly the same way you did before to achieve the B, then you are unlikely to get an A*, but if you change something, whether that be how you revise, or how much you revise, or re-teaching yourself previous topics you didn't understand, etc, then getting an A* is definitely possible.
Honestly, some people set themselves realistic targets. If you think that us saying yes is “sugar coating” then you probably wouldn’t get an A*.

Prove me wrong.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Which exam board is this with? I'm assuming you're not in England.

If it's Edexcel IAL then, in theory you could get a low C and still get an A* but if you couldn't get more than a C you're unlikely to understand enough to get full UMS at A2.
Reply 5
I know so many ppl that either failed or got an E in as level and ended up getting an A* in a-level maths. The reason they got a high grade is because they identified their mistake and started revising basically everyday until they got an A*
Reply 6
I'm surprised as very few state schools can afford to enter students for AS level if they're continuing to the A level. Regardless, as the AS grade does not contribute to the A level grade in theory you could achieve any grade at A level. Obviously, there are some aspects toy haven't grasped fully yet if you got a B, but with hard work and an honest approach to where you are struggling, an A* is possible
Reply 7
Original post by Ahm_201
I know so many ppl that either failed or got an E in as level and ended up getting an A* in a-level maths. The reason they got a high grade is because they identified their mistake and started revising basically everyday until they got an A*

I'm very surprised. I've known hundreds of people take A level Maths and very few people recover from a U or E at AS to get better than a D at best.

Quick Reply