Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi, so i’ll be commuting to my university very very soon.
i just have no idea how to use a train. i have anxiety so i’ve been panicking about this for a long long time and now that times getting closer i’m contemplating on whether to even go to university.
the train to my uni is 15 mins and the next stop so i guess i don’t have to worry much about it but if there’s anyone that could tell me what to do or how it works from buying your ticket to actually boarding the train would help!
thanks
hungrysalamander
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can either buy a train ticket online on websites such as trainline or your train company's website or you can buy tickets at a ticket machine at the station. You can choose from season tickets/return/single based on your neess. Since you are commuting I highly recommend getting a 16-25 railcard to get a 1/3 discount on train tickets. When you buy tickets online you can either use a eticket or print your ticket at the station. If you have a paper ticket then put it into the barrier which will open, remember to take your ticket out as you will need it to exit the station. There are departure boards at each station which will show you which platform your train will arrive on so make your way to the correct platform and wait for the train. When the doors of the train opens make sure that you let people on the train off first before boarding. Feel free to ask any questions if I missed anything!
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I suggest you go today and practice the journey, should be quiet on a Sunday. Check timetables to know how often the train goes, get there 30 mins in advance (assuming place with coffee shop, else 15) and find machine to buy a return ticket. You can get price in advance fir a day return on Trainline. You can download that as an app to check times and prices.
SulaimanT890
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i just have no idea how to use a train. i have anxiety so i’ve been panicking about this for a long long time and now that times getting closer i’m contemplating on whether to even go to university.
the train to my uni is 15 mins and the next stop so i guess i don’t have to worry much about it but if there’s anyone that could tell me what to do or how it works from buying your ticket to actually boarding the train would help!
thanks
Where are you departing from and where is your uni?
martin7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Since you are commuting I highly recommend getting a 16-25 railcard to get a 1/3 discount on train tickets.
The main limitation with a 16-25 railcard is that there's a minimum £12.00 fare for journeys starting before 10am Monday-Friday (excluding July and August). A trip to the next station on the line is going cost much less than that.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by martin7)
The main limitation with a 16-25 railcard is that there's a minimum £12.00 fare for journeys starting before 10am Monday-Friday (excluding July and August). A trip to the next station on the line is going cost much less than that.
I didn't know about that! If OP is taking the train to university then they might not have to travel during peak times if they don't have lectures/seminars etc in the morning so it's still useful to an extent.
martin7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn't know about that! If OP is taking the train to university then they might not have to travel during peak times if they don't have lectures/seminars etc in the morning so it's still useful to an extent.
That's quite true, and I should have pointed that out too.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
thanks
Wow you don't know how to us a train ok I'm going to break it down for you:
1/ Go to the station.

2a/ Go to the ticket office and ask for a ticket to your destination.
2b) Go up to a ticket machine and follow the instructions on screen.

3/ Go to the platform and get on the train once it comes in (let people get off first).

4/ Get off train got to uni.

It's simple as that. if you have time but a cup of tea to drink on the train it makes the journey pass faster good luck.
Onika55275
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can either buy a train ticket online on websites such as trainline or your train company's website or you can buy tickets at a ticket machine at the station. You can choose from season tickets/return/single based on your neess. Since you are commuting I highly recommend getting a 16-25 railcard to get a 1/3 discount on train tickets. When you buy tickets online you can either use a eticket or print your ticket at the station. If you have a paper ticket then put it into the barrier which will open, remember to take your ticket out as you will need it to exit the station. There are departure boards at each station which will show you which platform your train will arrive on so make your way to the correct platform and wait for the train. When the doors of the train opens make sure that you let people on the train off first before boarding. Feel free to ask any questions if I missed anything!
Yes! if you havent opened a student bank yet u could open with santander they will give you a free 16-25 railcard for 4 years and it is highly rated by students
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (317)
57.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.9%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.84%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.79%

Watched Threads