Which college should I choose Jesus or Christ's for engineering?

Watch
aj_48
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Which college should I choose - looking into things like accommodation, community, trips things like that.
aj_48
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Unsure on which one to pick - looking at accommodation, community etc
aconstanthamlet
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I can't comment on the two colleges for engineering specifically, but there are a number of factors that you can consider when deciding which college is best for you:

1) In terms of accommodation, you would be better off checking Jesus and Christ's websites respectively to compare any differences, although I've heard that the accommodation at both colleges is very nice. Maybe have a look at any room tours on youtube to get a feel of the style and size of the accommodation at both colleges.

2) Size. Jesus College is one of the larger colleges at Cambridge whilst Christ's is generally considered to be a medium-sized college, so you might want to consider which atmosphere you would prefer. You can also look at the Cambridge application statistics online to gauge how many engineers are accepted in both college cohorts. Some students prefer having a large cohort for their subject within a college, but others prefer a more tight-knit community. That being said, I can't imagine that there would be a huge difference between Christ's and Jesus for engineering intake, but it's worth researching if that's a factor that matters to you.

3) Location. Christ's is located in the centre of town on St. Andrew's street, whereas Jesus (whilst still conveniently located) is slightly more tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the town centre. I believe that Christ's is slightly closer to the engineering department, but you might also want to consider proximity to shops and the university library.

4) Atmosphere. I can't comment as a student at either one of the colleges, but Christ's is generally seen to be one of the most academically competitive colleges (the college has topped the Tompkins table in recent years). This might be a great thing if you thrive in an intense environment, but some people might prefer a more relaxed atmosphere. Again, student blogs and YouTube vlogs actually provide a fantastic insight into student life at a particular college.

Aside from those four tips, I'd advise you to ask yourself which college you would feel more excited to attend. After a while, you'll probably get a gut feeling for which college you prefer, regardless of any pros and cons list. At the end of the day, it's always best to apply to a college that you'd genuinely be happy to attend!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (265)
57.73%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (61)
13.29%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (40)
8.71%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.36%

Watched Threads