Should my Oxbridge personal statement say why I'm applying to a course and college?

Watch
Phil2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In my Oxbridge personal statement, is it sensible to explain why I chose a certain course and college?

Regarding the course, Oxford say on their site that they want "A personal statement where you tell us why you are interested in your chosen course."

So can I write that I chose the course because I want to do a certain module, or eventually do a dissertation under a certain tutor? Asking because (a) I have never seen a sample personal statement on the web that does this; (b) UCAS say that statements should not mention course by name (though I guess this isn't relevant for Oxbridge statements); (c) it takes up space I could otherwise use showing more of my academic interests.

Likewise, can I mention why I want to go to a particular college, e.g. because it seemed very friendly (non-academic reason), or because I want to be taught by one of its tutors (academic reason)?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Phil2003)
In my Oxbridge personal statement, is it sensible to explain why I chose a certain course and college?

Regarding the course, Oxford say on their site that they want "A personal statement where you tell us why you are interested in your chosen course."

So can I write that I chose the course because I want to do a certain module, or eventually do a dissertation under a certain tutor? Asking because (a) I have never seen a sample personal statement on the web that does this; (b) UCAS say that statements should not mention course by name (though I guess this isn't relevant for Oxbridge statements); (c) it takes up space I could otherwise use showing more of my academic interests.

Likewise, can I mention why I want to go to a particular college, e.g. because it seemed very friendly (non-academic reason), or because I want to be taught by one of its tutors (academic reason)?
No you shouldn't - it should focus on your choice of degree as it's going to be read by all the universities you apply to.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Course, yes. College, no.
I would not make it that specific to a university (e.g. a named module) - there’s no guarantee they’ll keep offering it anyway.
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You should completely not mention the college. If I'm right in my understanding, then this is the statement that goes out to every university you apply for.
Phil2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
No you shouldn't - it should focus on your choice of degree as it's going to be read by all the universities you apply to.
I'm confused about whether "Oxbridge personal statement" means a different statement to the normal one. For example, MyTutor.com has a page saying "What is the difference between an Oxbridge personal statement and a normal one?". Studential has a page titled "How To Write An Oxbridge Personal Statement", which starts "Writing your Oxbridge personal statement?"

So do they mean that this is a -different- statement to the UCAS one? Because then it will be seen only by Oxbridge, and it would be OK to mention their courses in it. Or do they just mean it's a UCAS statement but written to a high standard?
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm confused about whether "Oxbridge personal statement" means a different statement to the normal one. For example, MyTutor.com has a page saying "What is the difference between an Oxbridge personal statement and a normal one?". Studential has a page titled "How To Write An Oxbridge Personal Statement", which starts "Writing your Oxbridge personal statement?"

So do they mean that this is a -different- statement to the UCAS one? Because then it will be seen only by Oxbridge, and it would be OK to mention their courses in it. Or do they just mean it's a UCAS statement but written to a high standard?
You do not get a separate PS for oxbridge - they mean an “oxbridge-standard” PS or one more focused on academic interest/supercurricular than extracurricular. Cambridge does have the SAQ but that is about academics not college, AFAIK.
Phil2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)
You should completely not mention the college. If I'm right in my understanding, then this is the statement that goes out to every university you apply for.
That's one thing confusing me. Does "Oxbridge personal statement" means a different statement to the normal one? For example, MyTutor.com has a page saying "What is the difference between an Oxbridge personal statement and a normal one?". Studential has a page titled "How To Write An Oxbridge Personal Statement", which starts "Writing your Oxbridge personal statement?"

So do they mean this is a -different- statement to the UCAS one? Because then it will be seen only by Oxbridge, and it would be OK to mention their courses in it. Or do they just mean it's a UCAS statement but written to a high standard?
Tammie2345524
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't talk about the college you've applied to. They don't care.

As for the course, the personal statement needs to be about the subject you're applying for, not the specific course. Do not make the personal statement specific to Oxford. You're submitting the same personal statement to all the universities you apply to. For instance, I applied to Cambridge for biological natural sciences. The natsci course at Cambridge is different to the standard biology courses that I applied to at other universities. My personal statement was completely focused on biology as a whole, and although I did pick up on a few topics that I enjoy (e.g. "I'm interested in cell biology, so I read this book about cells") it definitely wasn't tailored to the Cambridge course.

It must have been an okay personal statement because I'm starting Cambridge in 10 days.
TheClaimsGuys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's one thing confusing me. Does "Oxbridge personal statement" means a different statement to the normal one? For example, MyTutor.com has a page saying "What is the difference between an Oxbridge personal statement and a normal one?". Studential has a page titled "How To Write An Oxbridge Personal Statement", which starts "Writing your Oxbridge personal statement?"

So do they mean this is a -different- statement to the UCAS one? Because then it will be seen only by Oxbridge, and it would be OK to mention their courses in it. Or do they just mean it's a UCAS statement but written to a high standard?
Read what @becausethenight said
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

There is ONE Personal statement - talk to your school as I would have thought you'd have written a draft by now
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

They send the same one to all universities so the latter.
Phil2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheClaimsGuys)
Read what @becausethenight said
Yes, you're right. Thanks. I picked up the phrase "Oxbridge personal statement", and thought I'd better check.
Phil2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
There is ONE Personal statement - talk to your school as I would have thought you'd have written a draft by now
Yes, thanks. That's what I thought until I saw that phrase "Oxbridge personal statement". Just doing a reality check to make sure I'd not missed something vital.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, thanks. That's what I thought until I saw that phrase "Oxbridge personal statement". Just doing a reality check to make sure I'd not missed something vital.
I would have thought your school would have given you guidance before the summer on your PS.
sixpaths06
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tammie2345524
could you share your Personal statement?
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sixpaths06)
Tammie2345524
could you share your Personal statement?
Please do NOT share personal statements on public forums. It means that it will trigger UCAS plagiarism detection and you may be unable to apply to university.
sixpaths06
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Please do NOT share personal statements on public forums. It means that it will trigger UCAS plagiarism detection and you may be unable to apply to university.
can he/she inbox?
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sixpaths06)
can he/she inbox?
Would still not be allowed on here or reccomended, as you are strangers, and they have no guarantee you will not share it!
While I am sure you are lovely, not everyone is
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (56)
14.55%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (97)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.4%
I'm finding things difficult (132)
34.29%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
8.57%

Watched Threads