The Student Room Group

Could I get A's/A*s in A levels?

im switching from btec to a levels chemistry, biology and maths. I've so far done a year in btec applied science and have just started my second year, and have so far gotten grades DDD (distinction) for every exam and coursework given to me, minus one merit in which I got a retake for and recieved a D... Target grade is a D*D*D and I think I'm headed in that direction. Do you think I have the potential to get A*'s and A's in A level?? Or are btecs too easy in comparison...
Original post by fmksjdjdjd
im switching from btec to a levels chemistry, biology and maths. I've so far done a year in btec applied science and have just started my second year, and have so far gotten grades DDD (distinction) for every exam and coursework given to me, minus one merit in which I got a retake for and recieved a D... Target grade is a D*D*D and I think I'm headed in that direction. Do you think I have the potential to get A*'s and A's in A level?? Or are btecs too easy in comparison...

Nobody can really answer this on here. Discuss it with your teachers as they know your abilities better. The A level is more detailed per subject whilst the BTEC is more general. The real question is why change. Most universities accept the BTEC in applied science for most courses except Medicine. Have a look at the entry requirements for the courses you intend studying. They might well accept you with your BTEC or possibly a BTEC with a specified A level such as Chemistry or Maths. Are you taking A levels again over 2 years. I doubt you will be able to do these and achieve those grades starting courses half way through.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Nobody can really answer this on here. Discuss it with your teachers as they know your abilities better. The A level is more detailed per subject whilst the BTEC is more general. The real question is why change. Most universities accept the BTEC in applied science for most courses except Medicine. Have a look at the entry requirements for the courses you intend studying. They might well accept you with your BTEC or possibly a BTEC with a specified A level such as Chemistry or Maths. Are you taking A levels again over 2 years. I doubt you will be able to do these and achieve those grades starting courses half way through.

thing is I want to do medicine/dentistry and originally expected to do optometry, which the only 2 unis I've found in london that have a course in optometry both require a specific set of gcse grades, which I do not have due to covid and us being given our mocks, or do not accept btec. really stuck on options here as everything I wanted to do is now not attainable so i think my only choice would be go to a college and start a levels before its too late. They're on their first 2 weeks so I'll still have time to catch up etc. TY for ur concern though, if u could suggest to me any other routes (even into optometry) id appreciate it. :smile:
thing is I want to do medicine/dentistry and originally expected to do optometry, which the only 2 unis I've found in london that have a course in optometry both require a specific set of gcse grades, which I do not have due to covid and us being given our mocks, or do not accept btec. really stuck on options here as everything I wanted to do is now not attainable so i think my only choice would be go to a college and start a levels before its too late. They're on their first 2 weeks so I'll still have time to catch up etc. TY for ur concern though, if u could suggest to me any other routes (even into optometry) id appreciate it. :smile:

Being totally honest with you if you dont meet the GCSE requirements you are not going to get in. Universities especially for this kind of competitive course do not accept students without the necessary GCSEs. I think you ought to raise this query on the medicine forum as they have more expertise in that area. can you move this and possibly give any advice you may have.
I have just checked a few universities outside London are accepting students for Optomety with BTEC sometimes with 1 specific A level. This appears to be your best route providing your GCSEs are of the necessary grades.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
I have just checked a few universities outside London are accepting students for Optomety with BTEC sometimes with 1 specific A level. This appears to be your best route providing your GCSEs are of the necessary grades.

i realised my only hope is to apply to unis outside london and i’m not able to do that... do u think if i did a levels they would overlook my gcse grades (i have a 3 in physics but everything else is 4 and above including a 7 in english lit and geography) more than if i had a btec and was applying to courses w gcse requirements
i realised my only hope is to apply to unis outside london and i’m not able to do that... do u think if i did a levels they would overlook my gcse grades (i have a 3 in physics but everything else is 4 and above including a 7 in english lit and geography) more than if i had a btec and was applying to courses w gcse requirements

No if you dont meet the GCSE requirements it will be a refusal. GCSE requirements are non negotiable. If you dont meet them you get rejected even with 6 A*s. A GCSE requirement is there to show you have the basic skills in a subject to be capable of completing the course.

Have a think about taking different courses in a medical field. I realise this wont be somewhere you will go to but these are health type courses Swansea University offers. There will probably be similar courses elsewhere.

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/the-university/faculties/medicine-health-lifescience/

Quick Reply

Latest