cyoh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello, I'm in my final year of college and as such need to start writing my personal statements for university. However, I do not know what to study as I did health and social care at college and HATE it...

I feel like law would be a good degree though I'm worried that I'm too dumb to do it... I only got 4s and 5s at GCSE. Plus people say the workload is double that of other degrees so idk...

Another option is Social working but social workers really rarely ever make over 30k which makes me think is this something I'd be happy doing...

Finally we have a business degree, at first I thought it would be useful as can be used in many job fields only then to hear on here that it's not really a desirable degree...

What do you all suggest I do? How do I find out what subject I want to do without having doing it before
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cyoh)
Hello, I'm in my final year of college and as such need to start writing my personal statements for university. However, I do not know what to study as I did health and social care at college and HATE it...

I feel like law would be a good degree though I'm worried that I'm too dumb to do it... I only got 4s and 5s at GCSE. Plus people say the workload is double that of other degrees so idk...

Another option is Social working but social workers really rarely ever make over 30k which makes me think is this something I'd be happy doing...

Finally we have a business degree, at first I thought it would be useful as can be used in many job fields only then to hear on here that it's not really a desirable degree...

What do you all suggest I do? How do I find out what subject I want to do without having doing it before
Hi cyoh

I’m currently completing my postgraduate law studies at the University of Law after completing an undergraduate law degree and would be more than happy to share some thoughts on your post which will hopefully be of some benefit to you.

To expand on your first point, having 4’s and 5’s at GCSE’s will not prevent you from studying law at University providing that this includes English and Maths. Universities tend to place a greater emphasis on A-Levels/BTEC’s and so it’s important to consider your current grades/predictions and compare these with Universities requirements.

With regards to the workload, a law degree carries with it a significant workload. However, it is manageable provided you manage your time and stay on top of your work. As the course can be full-on its important to ensure you do homework to ensure that such a degree would be the right fit for you.
I am not in a position to comment on social working degree’s as I have little experience of the subject, however I would stress the point that with all careers there will be varying pay scales, and at this stage try not to close any doors before you have fully exhausted the options. Even with a law or business degree it may well take some time to find an area that you are satisfied and interested with. Thus, while you have time to research and explore courses/universities make sure you do your homework – more tips to follow on this below.

With regards to a business degree, I agree with you that it is universal and will open many doors. I completed a law with business dual honours degree, and found that by combining both subjects whilst completing a qualifying law degree I was able to cast my net wide and gain a wide exposure to the law and its practicalities in business.

In terms of finding the right subject(s) for you, I would suggest the following:

- Approach your careers department at College and explain your options to them. They will be able to expand on types of courses and the types of careers flowing from the courses.

- Think about courses you would enjoy and compare/contrast with those courses which you believe have good careers prospects.

- Attend University open days/virtual days.

- Keep an eye out for online virtual events/talks on subjects of interest.

- Access University prospectuses. These will provide a break down of what modules are taught within a given degree subject.

- Speak to any friends/family that have attended University.

I hope this helps. I appreciate it’s a big decision and there’s numerous opportunities to assess. Again, there is no wrong answer here, just ensure that you obtain as much information/guidance about courses so you can make the right decision for you.

If you have any specific questions about studying law, or studying at the University of Law, please do let me know.

James

ULaw Student Ambassador
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can't write your PS until you have decided on a subject - because the whole focus of your PS is 'I want to study this subject because' not just 'I want to go to University'. Read this - all of it - I want to go to Uni biut I dont Know what to Study : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...-what-to-study

Then look down this list of degrees at this one Uni - lots of different subjects (and subject combinations) that you not have heard of or thought of : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/ It will bethe same at other Unis, and you'll be surprised to see that many subjects have no specific A level / BTEC subject requirements ie. they just state the grades required. So not just Law but American Studies, Media, Geography, Childhood Studies, Politcs, Sociology, Social Work, Film Studies, Anthropogy etc etc, so make sure you look at all of these subjects as well as more familiar ones.

Go to some Uni Open days (in-person or online) and listen to as many different Subject Talks as you can so that you get a picture of what each subject is like at degree level. There are also some good recorded subject presentations on YouTube - just search on the name of the University.
Last edited by McGinger; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (233)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (52)
12.78%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.06%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.85%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.42%

Watched Threads