Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i just got to uni, started my freshers but I dont know what to say to other people.
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i just got to uni, started my freshers but I dont know what to say to other people.
Good luck with starting uni and settling in. Just remember that Freshers Week isn't a big thing as people tend to make out - you'll meet lots of new people and befriend some throughout your first year. It's important to just be yourself and sometimes you just have to initiate the conversation, but try to avoid the awkward small talk.

Edit: Ask what's their name, where they're from, and what course they study. That would be a good start and just avoids the awkward small talk.
Last edited by JT_888; 1 month ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"Hi what's your name"
vnesswa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ask their name, their course, and where they're staying. everyone asks that lol
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,

Definitely try not to overthink this. It can seem like a pivotal conversation but really people just need a friendly face.

Try chatting about their course, where they are from, what accommodation are they in? If you have common ground then it will be easy to start a conversation from there, but if not ask them about it! Never heard of their hometown? Ask them what it is like there, where is their nearest city?

You could chat about upcoming events. Are they going to Fresher's Fair or is there anything they're looking to see or join there? Any worries you could chat about together. The more you chat, the more you will find common ground and it becomes quite natural.

After a week of small talk it is exhausting but it is worth it for the life long friends you make. Just remember, everyone is in the same boat so it is quite easy to get people talking!

Lydia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
86.71%
No (19)
13.29%

Watched Threads