hayley26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi ! I got this question for a homework and I am reallyyyy stumped. I was hoping someone could guide me through where to even begin?:In this question the horizontal unit vectors i and j are in the directions east and north respectively.A model ship of mass 2 kg is moving so that its acceleration vector a ms^-2 at time t seconds is given by a=3(2t-5)i 4j . When t=T , the magnitude of the horizontal force acting on the ship is 10 N.Find the possible values of T.(4 marks)I have been given a clue to use pythagoras to find the magnitude of the corresponding force and equate to 10 to solve for T, but I dont understand that. Please help me :/
chinjyanson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well picture what the scenario is and you will notice that the three things given to you is Force, mass and the vector of acceleration. So my first instinct is to use F=ma. I know my F to be 10 and I know my mass to be 2. So now I have 10=2a. Now how do I find my a? Well I have the acceleration in the i component, and I have the acceleration in the j component. Here we use the Pythagoras theorem to calculate our resultant vector for acceleration which equals to root((3(3t-5)^2)+(4^2)). Equate this to the 10=2a part and you have an equation to find T. This should be enough to finish the question off, but if you still dont understand it just @ me and I'll try to explain it in a different way
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chinjyanson)
Well picture what the scenario is and you will notice that the three things given to you is Force, mass and the vector of acceleration. So my first instinct is to use F=ma. I know my F to be 10 and I know my mass to be 2. So now I have 10=2a. Now how do I find my a? Well I have the acceleration in the i component, and I have the acceleration in the j component. Here we use the Pythagoras theorem to calculate our resultant vector for acceleration which equals to root((3(3t-5)^2)+(4^2)). Equate this to the 10=2a part and you have an equation to find T. This should be enough to finish the question off, but if you still dont understand it just @ me and I'll try to explain it in a different way
Please keep hints to a minimum so the OP has a chance to do some working

Also it's not a good idea to offer help via pm as other users may be interested in this question too, so we try to include all the assistance in the original post. Thanks.
hayley26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Tysm! I solved it correctly from this! <33
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (114)
86.36%
No (18)
13.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise