Help my brother with university exam?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My brother has a last resit attempt and has asked me to help him by watching lectures and helping him answering questions. He thinks that I'm more clever than him, even though I have no experience in the field. Should I help him? If i don't he will fail his degree. Also he has not told my mother. Should i tell my mother since she can't really do anything but will just be stressed?
jenerous
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why can he not do it by himself? If you're clever than him, a much better way to help is to guide him through better study revision tips and practical advice on understanding the subject material, rather than cheating and doing his exams for him.
Last edited by jenerous; 1 month ago
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If i don't he will fail his degree.
No he won't. He will only fail if he doesn't put in the work.

He can watch the lectures and answer the questions by himself - you don't need to be beside him while he does this. He can also talk to his lecturers or classmates if he needs any additional help.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 1582)
No he won't. He will only fail if he doesn't put in the work.

He can watch the lectures and answer the questions by himself - you don't need to be beside him while he does this. He can also talk to his lecturers or classmates if he needs any additional help.
He says he just can't do it. He has already had 2 attempts and has tried his hardest but can't do it. I don't want to live my whole life knowing that I could've helped him pass his degree but chose not to. He might also take this in mind his whole life if he fails his degree. I have not made my mind up yet.

Also, would you advise I tell my parents?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jenerous)
Why can he not do it by himself? If you're clever than him, a much better way to help is to guide him through better study revision tips and practical advice on understanding the subject material, rather than cheating and doing his exams for him.
I have already told him. He knows and thanks me but he just says he has tried his best already and honestly he says he doesn't have the brains for it. He says he thinks I'm more clever and if I sit down and revise the lectures I could do it and hed be so thankful. Also if he fails I will be sad knowing I could've done something but chose not to.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He says he just can't do it. He has already had 2 attempts and has tried his hardest but can't do it. I don't want to live my whole life knowing that I could've helped him pass his degree but chose not to. He might also take this in mind his whole life if he fails his degree. I have not made my mind up yet.

Also, would you advise I tell my parents?
It's not fair for him to put that burden on you. He chose to take this course and he should be doing it independently.

It would probably be a good idea to tell your parents, yes.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 1582)
It's not fair for him to put that burden on you. He chose to take this course and he should be doing it independently.

It would probably be a good idea to tell your parents, yes.
I know it is not morally correct but if it were you, what would you do? Surely you would help your sibling because you had the oppurtunity. You don't want to go your whole life and see them failing and knowing you could've done something about it.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
My brother has a last resit attempt and has asked me to help him by watching lectures and helping him answering questions. He thinks that I'm more clever than him, even though I have no experience in the field. Should I help him? If i don't he will fail his degree. Also he has not told my mother. Should i tell my mother since she can't really do anything but will just be stressed?
As a sibling yes you should help him. Ignore the other
comments.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know it is not morally correct but if it were you, what would you do? Surely you would help your sibling because you had the oppurtunity. You don't want to go your whole life and see them failing and knowing you could've done something about it.
If I were already knowledgeable in their subject then, yes, I would help them to learn the material. But learning their course material for them is something different entirely and not something you should have ever been asked to do. Your brother needs to sit down and do this properly. As jenerous said, teaching him how to study effectively would be the better option.
Last edited by 1582; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (266)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (62)
13.42%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.39%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (41)
8.87%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.33%

Watched Threads