Confused about what to pick for university

Watch
username5835622
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
also the only subject i'm doing well at , at A level is psychology [and maybe biology] but i dont think its the one for me . i did sociology in the past and well i liked it but i don't like it that much either. i thought maybe criminology but i can't find the inspiration within me . thought nursing cuz i wanna help people and to please desi parents cuz its like medical-ish but nope .
the career counsellor recommended psychology or media [ which i have sort of decided against] . i can if i want , fake my interests and get into something but i am not sure how far i can go in life with that approach.

also wanted to be a manager for a while there- would have sort of been happy with that - like a manager at a store or something .

i also love coming up with new ideas.

would love to volunteer but stuff gets in the way.

i am genuinely done with life tho so idk .

thank you to anyone who replys, this is my worst post and well a lot to take in .
Last edited by username5835622; 4 weeks ago
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Read this - all of it - I want to go to Uni biut I dont Know what to Study : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...-what-to-study

Then look down this list of degrees at this one Uni - lots of different subjects (and subject combinations) that you not have heard of or thought of : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/ It will bethe same at other Unis, and you'll be surprised to see that many subjects have no specific A level / BTEC subject requirements ie. they just state the grades required. So American Studies, Media, Geography, Childhood Studies, Politcs, Sociology, Social Work, Film Studies, Anthropogy etc etc, so make sure you look at all of these subjects as well as more familiar ones.

Go to some Uni Open days (in-person or online) and listen to as many different Subject Talks as you can so that you get a picture of what each subject is like at degree level. There are also some good recorded subject presentations on YouTube - just search on the name of the University.

Btw, remember that you dont have to go to Uni straight from school - if it takes you a few years to work out what you want to do in life, and then apply, that is perfectly okay.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by noicemack56)
also the only subject i'm doing well at , at A level is psychology [and maybe biology] but i dont think its the one for me . i did sociology in the past and well i liked it but i don't like it that much either. i thought maybe criminology but i can't find the inspiration within me . thought nursing cuz i wanna help people and to please desi parents cuz its like medical-ish but nope .
the career counsellor recommended psychology or media [ which i have sort of decided against] . i can if i want , fake my interests and get into something but i am not sure how far i can go in life with that approach.

also wanted to be a manager for a while there- would have sort of been happy with that - like a manager at a store or something .

thank you to anyone who replys, this is my worst post and well a lot to take in .
Put your A level into here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I wouldn’t go to university if you are unsure. I would go for a vocational option. University is an awful lot of stress and effort and lot of people end up with severe mental health issues as a consequence of attending
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you have a reliable statistical source for this rather wild assumption?
username5835622
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Put your A level into here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
I have tried that a few times before. It does lead to some of the options i have already considered and some that I genuinely don't wish to pursue. The top ones recommended are psychology and biology. If anyone here has experience with these subjects at university level, please so share your experiences. What made you select them? also i am not doing chemistry so is that going to hold me back in terms of biology?
username5835622
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
I wouldn’t go to university if you are unsure. I would go for a vocational option. University is an awful lot of stress and effort and lot of people end up with severe mental health issues as a consequence of attending
hmmm... i don't think i can completely write off university and i don't think vocational options will be supported by my parents but I will check them out. Thank you.
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hmmm... i don't think i can completely write off university and i don't think vocational options will be supported by my parents but I will check them out. Thank you.
You can do degree level apprenticeships that combine a degree with an apprenticeship, so you graduate with a degree, no debt and a guaranteed job at the end of it!
username5835622
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Read this - all of it - I want to go to Uni biut I dont Know what to Study : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...-what-to-study

Then look down this list of degrees at this one Uni - lots of different subjects (and subject combinations) that you not have heard of or thought of : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/ It will bethe same at other Unis, and you'll be surprised to see that many subjects have no specific A level / BTEC subject requirements ie. they just state the grades required. So American Studies, Media, Geography, Childhood Studies, Politcs, Sociology, Social Work, Film Studies, Anthropogy etc etc, so make sure you look at all of these subjects as well as more familiar ones.

Go to some Uni Open days (in-person or online) and listen to as many different Subject Talks as you can so that you get a picture of what each subject is like at degree level. There are also some good recorded subject presentations on YouTube - just search on the name of the University.

Btw, remember that you dont have to go to Uni straight from school - if it takes you a few years to work out what you want to do in life, and then apply, that is perfectly okay.
my issue with searching for courses that are less known is that firstly, they might only be available at some universities. This reduces my pool which can be good but it is slightly worrying. Although not saying I wouldn't explore the options and thanks you for pointing out some of the courses. Secondly, I am not sure how a personal statement should look like for those subjects. If that makes sense? For something like teaching or media, I sort of know what to write and what experiences I could highlight but not for ones I have heard for the first time. Lastly, I am not sure how ready my family is to let me pursue very new subjects [ literally my biggest dillemma].

I don't mind attending open days. I just sometimes feel like it is hard to see through the marketing and to the actual core. But to maybe just attend them for the sake of understanding subjects might be different...

And thank you for your advice. I am not sure if I will be taking a gap year/s but thanks and I think the key message I will take away from this is to be open-minded
username5835622
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
You can do degree level apprenticeships that combine a degree with an apprenticeship, so you graduate with a degree, no debt and a guaranteed job at the end of it!
I am currently not looking at apprenticeships, simply because I don't think I am ready for the field of work yet. I also don't have any sort of work experience to show my readiness. I also don't think I am comfortable taking on the big responsibilities in life. But thanks for the suggestion.
Last edited by username5835622; 4 weeks ago
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am currently not looking at apprenticeships, simply because I don't think I am ready for the field of work yet. I also don't have any sort of work experience to show my readiness. I also don't think I am comfortable taking on the big responsibilities in life. But thanks for the suggestion.
I don’t agree with this. The majority of people who gain apprenticeships also have no work experience. Commencing a degree is even more of a commitment (if not more so) than commencing an apprenticeship.
Last edited by Thisismyunitsr; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (238)
57.49%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.8%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.35%

Watched Threads