Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I need to take two weeks off Uni from the end of October to November 13th ish for personal reasons.
It’s my first year of Uni at Brunel and I’m worried about how to even let the uni know I need two weeks off. Most days are online and I only ever need to go to uni physically for a lecture once a week. Will I miss a lot of work? Will it be hard to catch up?

Thank you
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I need to take two weeks off Uni from the end of October to November 13th ish for personal reasons.
It’s my first year of Uni at Brunel and I’m worried about how to even let the uni know I need two weeks off. Most days are online and I only ever need to go to uni physically for a lecture once a week. Will I miss a lot of work? Will it be hard to catch up?
You should discuss this with your personal tutor once you know who that is. You might want to provide them with more details than "for personal reasons", though it's understandable that you might not want to get into specific here.

Will you be able to do any academic work at all while you're having this time off?

A key thing to check is whether there are things like coursework deadlines at the time you're absent, or shortly thereafter, to make sure you get the work submitted in time. Or you might want to ask for extensions, but you'd probably need to give more details than just "for personal reasons".
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Thank you
You could get EC's your university should have a process for something like this but you might need to provide evidence such as if it's for a medical reason you'll need a doctors not of if it a holiday booked before you knew the term dates you'll need your booking conformation things like that as the person above me has stated talk to your tutor but you'll need to say more than personal reasons.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You might be lucky and if covers reading week?

Else you’d try and keep up with online lectures and apologise in advance for not attending the tutorials.

If it’s an operation that’s one thing but a holiday would be frowned upon.

Could you keep up with most stuff online in the 2 weeks?
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
You might be lucky and if covers reading week?

Else you’d try and keep up with online lectures and apologise in advance for not attending the tutorials.

If it’s an operation that’s one thing but a holiday would be frowned upon.

Could you keep up with most stuff online in the 2 weeks?
A holiday booked pre uni was ok in my uni not if you booked it once you knew the uni dates but if you booked it like the previous year that would have been fine.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by martin7)
You should discuss this with your personal tutor once you know who that is. You might want to provide them with more details than "for personal reasons", though it's understandable that you might not want to get into specific here.

Will you be able to do any academic work at all while you're having this time off?

A key thing to check is whether there are things like coursework deadlines at the time you're absent, or shortly thereafter, to make sure you get the work submitted in time. Or you might want to ask for extensions, but you'd probably need to give more details than just "for personal reasons".
Yes I’d discuss what the personal reasons are with my tutor and I’ll be able to do the online lessons, just not physically go to the lectures held in person which would be two in total for the two weeks.
Thank you for the advice x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (125)
86.81%
No (19)
13.19%

Watched Threads