The Student Room Group

Is geograhy gcse worth doing

We've done one week of learning so far (start of GCSE content). I've had three lessons of geog- we've started doing development and I enjoyed 1 lesson but didn't really enjoy the other two? I'm starting to wonder whether geography's right for me- maybe i just don't like the stuff we're learning about but i just wanted peoples opinion of it, is development meant to be the interesting topic or is it always quite boring? Ps- I'm also doing history and triple science along with the comp- maths, english, science and spanish (9 gcses)
It honestly depends what you're interested in. I did development in my geography GCSE and I was never too bothered about it, but I really enjoyed the physical geography which can be on tectonics, coasts, rivers and glaciation depending on what exam board you're doing. With geography you've got to be prepared to do human geography as well though, since the course is like a 50/50 split between human and physical. Human geography is usually stuff like development and globalisation which is the stuff you're doing now. So I guess if you're willing to do like half of your course on this kind of thing but do the other half on things like natural disasters and coasts then I'd say stick at it. Don't let me put you off it though just because I don't enjoy human geography as much as physical. I'd check what topics you cover in your exam board as well and just see if you like the sound of them :smile:

Quick Reply