Milliewest2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I am in year 11 thinking about my a levels choices and I want to be a vet btw and I go to a grammar school so am achieving relatively high GCSEs. So I am thinking of chemistry biology and geography or pe and I if anyone has any experience with these subjects. I find them all interesting at gcse. I am also unsure if I should do an epq. Would it help me much or not because in year 9/10 I did a hpq which is kind of similar but I only got a C and I worked so hard for it so I don’t think it is for me !!
CptGarrforest
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you plan on doing a EPQ make sure it's on a topic that you plan on undergoing in university, otherwise it's useless. Like say if I want to study psychology for university, I might do a EPQ on ICD-10 (addiction dependent disorder). Or I might do a EPQ on Coronary Heart Disease or some crap for medicine. From what I know Biology and Chemistry are a pain in the ass, but I plan on choosing all 3 sciences for my A-levels options this october.
ism41l_16
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Milliewest2)
So I am in year 11 thinking about my a levels choices and I want to be a vet btw and I go to a grammar school so am achieving relatively high GCSEs. So I am thinking of chemistry biology and geography or pe and I if anyone has any experience with these subjects. I find them all interesting at gcse. I am also unsure if I should do an epq. Would it help me much or not because in year 9/10 I did a hpq which is kind of similar but I only got a C and I worked so hard for it so I don’t think it is for me !!
Bio and Chem is really interesting and challenging at a level. The exams are levels more difficult than gcse but can be done well if you dedicate your time. EPQ could help you for some universities(check the websites) but as far as I know for a course like vet medicine, EPQ wont do too much. Consider it but first check university websites for vet med and see whether they score EPQ for your application.
Last edited by ism41l_16; 4 weeks ago
Milliewest2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by ism41l_16)
Bio and Chem is really interesting and challenging at a level. The exams are levels more difficult than gcse but can be done well if you dedicate your time. EPQ could help you for some universities(check the websites) but as far as I know for a course like vet medicine, EPQ wont do too much. Consider it but first check university websites for vet med and see whether they score EPQ for your application.
Thanks so much for replying. I checked about the EPQ and for some vet med courses it lowers the grade for the third subject so not chem or bio which would be the ones I would struggle with most anyway so that doesn’t help. So I guess the only thing it helps is showing interest in the subject if I do it related to vet med. also I found out in my school it is unfortunately compulsory to do an EPQ but you can drop it in certain situations !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (181)
55.69%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (45)
13.85%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (36)
11.08%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (31)
9.54%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
5.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.31%

Watched Threads