Greengray
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m 24, for context aha! I have an undergraduate degree in English and decided to teach secondary English. I started this PGCE and found out pretty early that secondary was not the place for me. So, I transferred over to the primary 5-11 course in the same university. The same thing happened there, I just felt unsettled and decided I needed time to think. The following September I started my masters in English, which I just achieved this past august. I decided to give teaching once last try, but instead of going for a PGCE, I’ve gone for a SCITT in primary 3-7, with QTS only. That unsettling feeling is hanging over me like an axe. Do I like the kids, yeah, but am I enjoying myself? No. The problem is, I still live at home, so the family is adamant I stick it out even if I hate it, just to get the qualification. Im miserable though. I was going to give it to the October half term to show I’ve been there a few weeks - but I just feel like a failure. 24 with no career? I just dunno what to do with myself. I have all these qualifications but I just want a quiet life. Any advice??
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unsettled in what sense?
What part of the course is it you're struggling with?
Greengray
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
Unsettled in what sense?
What part of the course is it you're struggling with?
Thanks for the reply. I’m not struggling with the course. I just have a gut feeling that this isn’t what I’m meant to be doing with my life, and that in turn isn’t letting me dedicate myself to the profession fully. Then again, am I just being a cry baby?
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Greengray)
Thanks for the reply. I’m not struggling with the course. I just have a gut feeling that this isn’t what I’m meant to be doing with my life, and that in turn isn’t letting me dedicate myself to the profession fully. Then again, am I just being a cry baby?
Well, i recently completed my Primary PGCE. It took a while for me to get the hang of my first placement and it made me panic about whether teacher was right for me or not. Turns out, i just didnt suit that particular key stage.

But given that you have tried different key stages and still get that gut feeling, it's difficult.

Maybe you enjoy working in schools but not as a teacher. Or maybe you want to teach but not in schools. Have you thought about other options such as tutoring?
Greengray
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
Well, i recently completed my Primary PGCE. It took a while for me to get the hang of my first placement and it made me panic about whether teacher was right for me or not. Turns out, i just didnt suit that particular key stage.

But given that you have tried different key stages and still get that gut feeling, it's difficult.

Maybe you enjoy working in schools but not as a teacher. Or maybe you want to teach but not in schools. Have you thought about other options such as tutoring?
That’s a great idea! Yeah the pastoral side of school is something I’m really interested in. However, my logical mind is telling me to just complete the SCITT so I have my foot in the door.

Thankyou for your advice though!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Greengray)
Doing a SCITT doesn't commit you to teaching forever- but it does help you teach until you can figure out what it is you want to do instead. I would say don't drop out without a concrete plan- this will probably help you sell it to your parents, too.

But if you are thinking about dropping out, then work on that concrete plan to give you something to do instead. If you can't figure out an alternative, then I'd suggest giving teaching a propper go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (312)
57.88%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.1%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (60)
11.13%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.35%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.71%

Watched Threads