Kebababooey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm 17 and in Year 13 now, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to apply to Oxford now or defer it to next year. Do you think it would ruin my chances of getting in if I did the latter? I haven't done enough wider reading, and I'm self studying a history A Level (both AS and A2 in one year), so I feel like applying now might be a bit too stressful for me. What do you think? Is a gap year worth it?
jane_wEYREwolf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kebababooey)
I'm 17 and in Year 13 now, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to apply to Oxford now or defer it to next year. Do you think it would ruin my chances of getting in if I did the latter? I haven't done enough wider reading, and I'm self studying a history A Level (both AS and A2 in one year), so I feel like applying now might be a bit too stressful for me. What do you think? Is a gap year worth it?
Hi there, gap year student here who’s applying to Oxford! Defo take a gap year. I applied in year 13 and did not get in (but got to interview) and am currently reapplying this year.

My advice to you is apply next year. 100%. If you apply to oxford now, you do not have long before your exam and that in itself takes so much prep. Focus this year on your A Levels and getting the best grades possible. Start your wider reading, find your interests, start to research around them. Then, after your A Levels end, start preparing for your admissions test and interview and personal statement.

I have had so much more time this year and feel so much more prepared - bearing in mind I started Oxford prep in year 12, too, so was in a more progressed place in year thirteen in terms of my applicant prep than you are. You can always apply this year for the experience, but be prepared that next year will be when you give it a real shot. Remember Oxbridge applications are due 15th October meaning personal statement etc all needs to be done by then. Exams are beginning of November and interviews will be some time from the end of November up to before Christmas.
Kebababooey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jane_wEYREwolf)
Hi there, gap year student here who’s applying to Oxford! Defo take a gap year. I applied in year 13 and did not get in (but got to interview) and am currently reapplying this year.

My advice to you is apply next year. 100%. If you apply to oxford now, you do not have long before your exam and that in itself takes so much prep. Focus this year on your A Levels and getting the best grades possible. Start your wider reading, find your interests, start to research around them. Then, after your A Levels end, start preparing for your admissions test and interview and personal statement.

I have had so much more time this year and feel so much more prepared - bearing in mind I started Oxford prep in year 12, too, so was in a more progressed place in year thirteen in terms of my applicant prep than you are. You can always apply this year for the experience, but be prepared that next year will be when you give it a real shot. Remember Oxbridge applications are due 15th October meaning personal statement etc all needs to be done by then. Exams are beginning of November and interviews will be some time from the end of November up to before Christmas.
Sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much for your advice! Your anecdote honestly makes me feel much more reassured and a million times less stressed about my application. And good luck with your application, I hope you do get in this year!
Last edited by Kebababooey; 4 weeks ago
jane_wEYREwolf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kebababooey)
Sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much for your advice! Your anecdote honestly makes me feel much more reassured and a million times less stressed about my application. And good luck with your application, I hope you do get in this year!
That’s so great to hear, I’m glad you’re feeling more calm about it now. And thank you! I think that the extra year has really helped, so fingers crossed !! X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (115)
86.47%
No (18)
13.53%

Watched Threads