Daughter needs help urgently re changing uni campus

Watch
Lolly77
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all, really hoping someone can help! My daughter (18) moved to London (from Lancashire) a month ago to study at LMA drama school. She's sharing an apartment with her boyfriend and unfortunately her living arrangements aren't working out. She thought she was ready (they've been together 18 months) but she's desperately unhappy, them living together just isn't working. She has anxiety and depression and knows 1000% there's no way she could do it alone and live in student accommodation. She definitely wants to do the course but knows now that even if she loves it, being in London away from home is never going to work for her. This is a nightmare as she's due to start tomorrow, her finance hasn't come though yet, I believe that will only happen once she enrols tomorrow. So basically she wants to come home and do the same course but at the Liverpool campus. As she's not enrolled yet and hasn't yet received her student finance, does anyone know if this would this be doable? She's tried ringing to query this but there's nobody there for her to talk to. As she's due to start tomorrow, what should she do? She knows there's no point in starting the course in London as she knows as much as she might love the uni, she's not going to be happy living there. Please help if you can, as she's phoning me from 250 miles away and I feel helpless.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lolly77)
Hi all, really hoping someone can help! My daughter (18) moved to London (from Lancashire) a month ago to study at LMA drama school. She's sharing an apartment with her boyfriend and unfortunately her living arrangements aren't working out. She thought she was ready (they've been together 18 months) but she's desperately unhappy, them living together just isn't working. She has anxiety and depression and knows 1000% there's no way she could do it alone and live in student accommodation. She definitely wants to do the course but knows now that even if she loves it, being in London away from home is never going to work for her. This is a nightmare as she's due to start tomorrow, her finance hasn't come though yet, I believe that will only happen once she enrols tomorrow. So basically she wants to come home and do the same course but at the Liverpool campus. As she's not enrolled yet and hasn't yet received her student finance, does anyone know if this would this be doable? She's tried ringing to query this but there's nobody there for her to talk to. As she's due to start tomorrow, what should she do? She knows there's no point in starting the course in London as she knows as much as she might love the uni, she's not going to be happy living there. Please help if you can, as she's phoning me from 250 miles away and I feel helpless.
I don't really understand what's difficult here. If she doesn't want to live in London, doesn't want to live with her boyfriend and wants to come home, then she could just do that this afternoon. How much of this is first-night nerves, and how much of it is a genuine desire not to do it is another questions, and one that probably she only knows the answer to.

The only way of finding out if she can transfer to the Liverpool campus would be to contact the university - I appreciate you've tried to get through to them already, but no-one can guess whether or not it would be permitted on TSR. She's just got to keep trying to get through to them by any means possible - email, telephone, social media...whatever. If she weren't able to transfer, does she have a Plan B for this year? Would she coming back to live in your house - and are you happy with that?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think she needs to talk to student services asap - even if she can't get through to anyone until the point of enrolment, at some point she must be able to talk to someone in person. She shouldn't enrol until she has this issue sorted out - either they can transfer her to the Liverpool campus or they can't. If they can't it sounds like it would be better for your daughter to take a year out and reapply next year to a uni closer to home.
Lolly77
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I don't really understand what's difficult here. If she doesn't want to live in London, doesn't want to live with her boyfriend and wants to come home, then she could just do that this afternoon. How much of this is first-night nerves, and how much of it is a genuine desire not to do it is another questions, and one that probably she only knows the answer to.

The only way of finding out if she can transfer to the Liverpool campus would be to contact the university - I appreciate you've tried to get through to them already, but no-one can guess whether or not it would be permitted on TSR. She's just got to keep trying to get through to them by any means possible - email, telephone, social media...whatever. If she weren't able to transfer, does she have a Plan B for this year? Would she coming back to live in your house - and are you happy with that?
She's dead set on the fact she can't live there regardless of her accommodation or who she's living with. She had second thoughts before we took her a month ago and said there was no way she'd even contemplate going to London if it weren't for the fact she'd be with her boyfriend. She thought she could do it as long as she had him with her but even that's not working out. It's a no brainer, she's definitely coming home which of course is absolutely fine with us.....we want her to be happy.
Her plan B is Liverpool campus....she could probably do with a plan C 😕
Spoiler:
Show

Lolly77
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I think she needs to talk to student services asap - even if she can't get through to anyone until the point of enrolment, at some point she must be able to talk to someone in person. She shouldn't enrol until she has this issue sorted out - either they can transfer her to the Liverpool campus or they can't. If they can't it sounds like it would be better for your daughter to take a year out and reapply next year to a uni closer to home.
I've just messaged her and told her there must be another way of contacting someone, she's going to try email. I'll let her know that even if she can't get hold of anyone tonight, to go tomorrow and speak to them before she bothers enrolling.
If she's not enrolled yet, does that mean her tuition fees won't have been paid yet? If they have and she can't transfer, does that mean she's lost that years fees? As in once it's paid to them (but she doesn't start) that's it?
Sorry, completely new to all of this.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've just messaged her and told her there must be another way of contacting someone, she's going to try email. I'll let her know that even if she can't get hold of anyone tonight, to go tomorrow and speak to them before she bothers enrolling.
If she's not enrolled yet, does that mean her tuition fees won't have been paid yet? If they have and she can't transfer, does that mean she's lost that years fees? As in once it's paid to them (but she doesn't start) that's it?
Sorry, completely new to all of this.
I’m not an expert on student finance but I don't think she would lose this years fees just by enrolling- I believe there is a grace period during which people can drop out and not be liable for fees but I’m not sure how long that period of time is - a couple of weeks maybe. Despite this, I still feel it’s better she doesn’t enrol if she really doesn’t want to do the course at that site. If people drop out in the first term the most they could be asked to pay is 25% of the tuition fees.
PQ may be able to offer more advice about this than me
Last edited by harrysbar; 4 weeks ago
Lolly77
Rep:
?
I’m not an expert on student finance but I don't think she would lose this years fees just by enrolling- I believe there is a grace period during which people can drop out and not be liable for fees but I’m not sure how long that period of time is - a couple of weeks maybe. Despite this, I still feel it’s better she doesn’t enrol if she really doesn’t want to do the course at that site. If people drop out in the first term the most they could be asked to pay is 25% of the tuition fees.
PQ may be able to offer more advice about this than me
Thank you so much for your advice, it's much appreciated. Think it's looking like myself and hubby are doing a midnight flit to London tonight 😕😕
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your advice, it's much appreciated. Think it's looking like myself and hubby are doing a midnight flit to London tonight 😕😕
Oh gosh - I’m a mum myself and you have my sympathies
Lolly77
Rep:
?
Oh gosh - I’m a mum myself and you have my sympathies
Thank you, this is so difficult 😔
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (239)
57.45%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.74%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.06%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.65%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.33%

Watched Threads