Gradebusters: The SEQUEL! (A Year 11 GyG: 2021-2022)

Watch
yemisi.ogun
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Mid-Week Update: Tuesday 12th October 2021!

Today I had a geography trip! :train:

It was meant to be an overnight trip to Scarborough where we did fieldwork but ended up having to be a day trip to a local beach because of covid restrictions and stuff, but it was still fun and I enjoyed it! We aren't going to be looking at our findings from the trip until after our mocks/PPEs in November though!

I also got my biology test back!

The result was:
Spoiler:
Show
37/47! 78%

I consider that to be a considerably okay score! I made so many silly, silly :eviltongue: mistakes (I literally said that chromosomes were found in the cytoplasm instead of the nucleus!!! HOW?!?!:argh: the silliest mistake I've made EVER! *facepalm*:shifty: ) and lost a few marks due to not explaining properly, but those are both things I'm working on! overall, I'm not devastated with the score I got (though it could be far better) and I'm just going to keep on learning from my mistakes and trying my best! :crossedf: I'm going to use these test questions as revision in future (especially 5 and 6 markers) so I can get more used to the exam techniques.

I've also completed my daily tassomai tasks for the day, meaning I'm on track to completing my goal of doing tassomai every day this week, and eventually, every day without fail (I just need a starting point lol):gthumb:
Spoiler:
Show
Picture proof for all 3 subjects - science, English and maths:

Attachment 1033429
Attachment 1033430
Attachment 1033431

Anyways, that's it for today, so I'll see you in the next update! <3

If you'd like to be sent a notification every time I create another post, let me know, and I'll tag you below!
Spoiler:
Show
Last edited by yemisi.ogun; 1 week ago
3ggfriedrice
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yemisi.ogun)
Yes, I absolutely love charity shopping!!! More environmentally-friendly and I've got quite a few great ones in my area that I love shopping at I've tried to reduce how much I buy from charity shops though because clothes are clothes and overconsumption is overconsumption, even if it's "sustainable" lol.

And yes, actually! I've shown it to playwright Jennifer Farmer who was the playwright assigned to assist those of us participating in the National Theatre competition! She's awesome and basically said she loves the dynamics I'm building in my work And yes, I struggle so much to learn lines! I don't know how they do it! As far as fave films and/or plays.... hmm... I quite like romances (but the ones with tragic endings, I hate the gushy ones) like Titanic, Romeo and Juliet (of course!) and The Fault in Our Stars and the Importance of Being Earnest is a play I quite like too!
Yes I don’t like people who splash out on things they don’t even need, they already have their basic needs, anything more is unnecessary unless it’s sentimental.

When is the play due to be entered? Ahaha that’s funny, but even the Titanic, the characters I hear are quite stupid. I read the fault in our stars and IT WAS SAD. Do you cry in films/reading books?
3ggfriedrice
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mid-Week Update: Tuesday 12th October 2021!

Today I had a geography trip! :train:

It was meant to be an overnight trip to Scarborough where we did fieldwork but ended up having to be a day trip to a local beach because of covid restrictions and stuff, but it was still fun and I enjoyed it! We aren't going to be looking at our findings from the trip until after our mocks/PPEs in November though!

I also got my biology test back!

The result was:
Spoiler:
Show
37/47! 78%

I consider that to be a considerably okay score! I made so many silly, silly :eviltongue: mistakes (I literally said that chromosomes were found in the cytoplasm instead of the nucleus!!! HOW?!?!:argh: the silliest mistake I've made EVER! *facepalm*:shifty: ) and lost a few marks due to not explaining properly, but those are both things I'm working on! overall, I'm not devastated with the score I got (though it could be far better) and I'm just going to keep on learning from my mistakes and trying my best! :crossedf: I'm going to use these test questions as revision in future (especially 5 and 6 markers) so I can get more used to the exam techniques.

I've also completed my daily tassomai tasks for the day, meaning I'm on track to completing my goal of doing tassomai every day this week, and eventually, every day without fail (I just need a starting point lol):gthumb:
Spoiler:
Show
Picture proof for all 3 subjects - science, English and maths:

Anyways, that's it for today, so I'll see you in the next update! <3

If you'd like to be sent a notification every time I create another post, let me know, and I'll tag you below!
Spoiler:
Show
I never got to go on any fieldwork trips due to this stupid virus -_- Scarborough sounds like it would have been cool though, shame you missed that.

Well done on bio wooooo!! I swear bio markschemes are so eVIL
yemisi.ogun
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3ggfriedrice)
Yes I don’t like people who splash out on things they don’t even need, they already have their basic needs, anything more is unnecessary unless it’s sentimental.

When is the play due to be entered? Ahaha that’s funny, but even the Titanic, the characters I hear are quite stupid. I read the fault in our stars and IT WAS SAD. Do you cry in films/reading books?
The play is due to be entered in April, I believe?

And no, what you’ve heard about Titanic IS correct lol, but the premise is really interesting to me.

I don’t tend to cry in films, but I have cried reading books before haha. *Especially* reading book endings. ugh those can be really gut-wrenching <\3 what are your fave books/films? i kinda want to get back into reading (firstly it’s good for my overall articulation and vocabulary, but it’s also just super fun and relaxing), but haven’t had the time, so some book/film recs (if you have any) might encourage me to actually do stuff hahah ))
yemisi.ogun
Rep:
?
I never got to go on any fieldwork trips due to this stupid virus -_- Scarborough sounds like it would have been cool though, shame you missed that.

Well done on bio wooooo!! I swear bio markschemes are so eVIL
oh nooo that’s so unfortunate :,( i guess i’m lucky i got to do any fieldwork at all😅

and thank you so much! )) yes, biology mark-schemes are VERY evil. they are like painfully word-specific </3 when we go through test answers in class, i always feel like i’ve been scammed or cheated loool. i really want to get to the point where i can sense what exactly the exam board is looking for from me and be succinct, as i tend to write a lot of stuff that isn’t even getting me marks! the tricky bit is deciding what’s too much and what’s too little though. i think i write a lot to overcompensate *just in case*, but it just ends up rambles and i miss out on marks regardless😭 i don’t really know how to work on that… i think i just have to do loads of exam questions and last papers and analyse the mark schemes?
yemisi.ogun
Rep:
?
Mid-Week Update: Wednesday 13th October 2021!

I have my german speaking exam today! >.<

I am absolutely terrified because it’s the first speaking exam that I’ve ever done, but it’s also the first I’m being graded on!

Even worse, this grade contributes to my November mocks/PPEs…. (I think I’ve said this before, but they don’t want the speaking to be after or during the actual mocks, so it’s now)

MY ACTUAL [email protected]£:

Anyways, i’ll let you know how it goes after school! <3 wish me luck! ☘️
yemisi.ogun
Rep:
?
Mid-Week Update: Thursday 14th October 2021!

Sorry I didn't update you guys yesterday! </3
It was a tiring day:bored: (as are all my days as of late lol) and I literally passed out as soon as I got home!:sleep:

But! as you may or may not know, I did my German-speaking exam for my mocks yesterday (the actual ones in November they didn't want us doing speaking exams during) and.... :dots:

Spoiler:
Show
IT WENT SO. WELL!
SO SO WELL! AND I AM SO INCREDIBLY PROUD OF MYSELF:thumbsup:

My score was:
Spoiler:
Show
28/30!!!
I REPEAT: TWENTY-EIGHT OUT OF THIRTY!!!:banana:

13/15 for the first section, 15/15 (FULL MARKS!!!!) for the second!

WHAT AN AMAZING WAY TO START MY MOCKS?!??!/@#$&;*!?

I am honestly so happy with this score, I cannot find the words to describe it:dancing:I often doubt myself a lot and underestimate my skills, but German is one of the subjects that comes more naturally to me and I work really hard on, so I'm so glad the work has paid off!

This mock speaking exam has definitely made me feel a lot more confident about the continued ones in November, not only for German, but all other subjects :yeah: I really began to believe I was humanly incapable of achieving good grades, but now I've consolidated that if I work hard, I can get the grades I want, I think I can proceed with my studies believing in myself haha. This sounds really dramatic, but it honestly became really draining always only getting subpar grades, so kicking off my mocks with the TOP GRADE in the entire year for German makes me really happy!! :blush: so indescribably happy!

anyways, moving on:
I have a maths unit test tomorrow!~ >.<

I'm not too worried though, as the unit is algebraic proof, which is a really minuscule unit - we've literally been able to cover it in three lessons lol! I think I understand it pretty well, so hopefully :crossedf: it goes okay! I'm aiming for around 80%! I Will let you know how that goes and if I reach that goal! <3

Anyways, that's it for today's update! Will see you all later! MWAH! :lips::lovehug:

If you'd like to be sent a notification every time I create another post, let me know, and I'll tag/quote you below!

Spoiler:
Show
x
(Original post by Icosagon)
x

Icosagon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

It was a tiring day:bored: (as are all my days as of late lol) and I literally passed out as soon as I got home!:sleep:

But! as you may or may not know, I did my German-speaking exam for my mocks yesterday (the actual ones in November they didn't want us doing speaking exams during) and.... :dots:

Spoiler:
Show
IT WENT SO. WELL!

My score was:
Spoiler:
Show
28/30!!!

I am honestly so happy with this score, I cannot find the words to describe it:dancing:I often doubt myself a lot and underestimate my skills, but German is one of the subjects that comes more naturally to me and I work really hard on, so I'm so glad the work has paid off!

This mock speaking exam has definitely made me feel a lot more confident about the continued ones in November, not only for German, but all other subjects :yeah: I really began to believe I was humanly incapable of achieving good grades, but now I've consolidated that if I work hard, I can get the grades I want, I think I can proceed with my studies believing in myself haha. This sounds really dramatic, but it honestly became really draining always only getting subpar grades, so kicking off my mocks with the TOP GRADE in the entire year for German makes me really happy!! :blush: so indescribably happy!

anyways, moving on:

I'm not too worried though, as the unit is algebraic proof, which is a really minuscule unit - we've literally been able to cover it in three lessons lol! I think I understand it pretty well, so hopefully :crossedf: it goes okay! I'm aiming for around 80%! I Will let you know how that goes and if I reach that goal! <3

Anyways, that's it for today's update! Will see you all later! MWAH! :lips::lovehug:

If you'd like to be sent a notification every time I create another post, let me know, and I'll tag/quote you below!

Spoiler:
Show

MEGA CONGRATULATIONS for getting the top grade in German - I’m so happy for you! Good luck for the maths test too - you‘re gonna smash this!
3ggfriedrice
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Spoiler:
Show
IT WENT SO. WELL!

My score was:
Spoiler:
Show
28/30!!!

anyways, moving on:

Spoiler:
Show

WOOOOO I’m glad I don’t have to do German now, everyone hated the speaking part 😂 Das ist wunderbar!

Proof is annoying, but sounds like you feel confident
yemisi.ogun
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Icosagon)
MEGA CONGRATULATIONS for getting the top grade in German - I’m so happy for you! Good luck for the maths test too - you‘re gonna smash this!
thank you so much! the maths test went really well! I'll take about it in my post in a sec <3
yemisi.ogun
Rep:
?
WOOOOO I’m glad I don’t have to do German now, everyone hated the speaking part 😂 Das ist wunderbar!

Proof is annoying, but sounds like you feel confident
yes you're very lucky you don't have to do german anymore haha! and thank you, I am v/ proud of my score!!

and yes, I was fairly confident on the proof test, and it seems it was for valid reasons as I got a really good score!!! will let you know what it was in my update haha
yemisi.ogun
Rep:
?
Name:  gradebusters (2).png
Views: 2
Size:  150.0 KB
Weekly Big Update (Every Sunday but it's on Tuesday instead today because my organisational skills suck and I was stressed at the weekend:nooo:)

hey guys! here’s this week’s big update, just on Tuesday instead of Sunday lol

Reflection On Last Week + Goals for this Week

To be succinct, I didn’t successfully complete any of the tasks I set myself last week.:sigh:
It’s been a few weeks of me having these same goals, and I am appalled (really, truly appalled) :lolwut: that I haven’t been able to organise myself in a way whereby I could get them done.

It’s weird. :confused: It feels like there physically aren’t enough hours in the day for me to complete this stuff, but I know that’s not the case, and that I just suck miserably at prioritising.

Really, all I have to do is:

Spoiler:
Show
  1. Remember my responsibilities
  2. Set time aside for them
  3. Do them!!!

But somehow I’m failing at that?? :argh:

I think it may be helpful if I start setting myself daily goals out of the weekly goals, so I don’t leave all of the weekly goals to be done at the weekend, and then end up completing none when the school week burns me out and I feel like doing absolutely nothing.

if I say “today you’ll do [one of the big weekly goals] for an hour after school” I may be more likely to complete it. planning also makes me feel really productive, and feeling productive makes me feel happy and fulfilled and like I’m taking active strides to better my education and like I won’t fail my GCSEs and end up jobless and depressed (yes, that’s how drastic my thinking process is:headfire:).

so that’s the plan! I’m going to some kind of checklist/task to track my activities and make sure I get stuff done, and I’ll probably write my daily intentions on this blog as well so you can see I’m getting stuff done

anyways, my goals for this week are the same as the ones for last week, however, they really have to get done as:
Spoiler:
Show
  1. My HPQ essay is due this week (yes, this week) and I haven’t even started it, so I really need to knuckle down on that. unfortunately, due to practice, I’m very good at pulling things off last minute anyways, so I hope that will go okay! maybe afterwards, I can permanently discard my “talent” because i won’t/shouldn't need to pull something off last minute again lol. hopefully! :crossedf:
  2. I need to actually make a revision timetable because mocks are after half term and there’s no way I’ll even remotely succeed without good organisation and effective revision.
  3. it’d also be good if I caught up on any work I’m behind on because that missing content could very well turn up in my mocks, and I don’t want to end up using potential revision time catching up on notes that are from lockdowns.
  4. my drama portfolio (which consists of two parts) is due at the end of the half-term (in its complete form) and I haven’t even finished the first part:afraid: I think the importance of a portfolio worth 50% of my drama component 1 grade is undeniable, and hence, I should really get my portfolio done asap!

so yeah, completing my goals this week is pretty important.

as for tassomai, I’m finding I remember to do it some days, and completely forget others, which I won’t beat myself up about as I just need to get into a routine.

okay, that’s it! now for mocks :shot:

mocks
so, as I’ve mentioned a few times in previous posts, mocks are in November, a week or so after we return from half term, which starts this coming Monday (basically, this week is my last until half term). I’m feeling confident that I can do okay in these exams if I do everything right, but based on prior experiences of mine, I do fear my bad organisational skills, tendency to overthink, and other bad habits will prevent me from doing as such, with me instead getting everything wrong.:emo:

I’ve really got to overcome this negative mindset and just plough through though. I’m going to plan well so there are no late nights and breakdowns in the future.:yy:

We haven’t been told much about mocks, or what we’re doing for each subject, except for geography which we’ve been told is going to be on paper 3. that’s great because now I only have to revise paper 3 content.

With the other subjects (for now) I have to just revise everything and hope I’m not revising all the wrong stuff.:dontknow:

I guess that either way, it’d be me retaining knowledge that will 100% be included in my actual GCSEs, so I should try to look from a broader perspective.

I will let you know more about mocks and my preparation for them later

extracurriculars
I thought it’d be good for me to disclose some extracurricular activities I’ve undertaken this year, as they go hand in hand with my studies, in that they require time, commitment and concentration that could interfere with my education if I’m not careful.

comedy of errors (school play): I’ve been given a lead role for this production, meaning I will have more work to do, lines to learn and rehearsals to attend etc., but the production is completely finished by February, so I have a clear window free in the months prior to my exams. rehearsals are every Thursday after school, plus additional occasional rehearsals at lunchtime for specific scenes and characters. to me, this seems completely manageable.

new views: this is a national theatre competition for young playwrights! we’re required to write a 30-minute play with a story of our choice (though they encourage us to draw from personal experience). the winner gets their play staged, directed and performed by the national theatre company, which is an absolutely amazing opportunity! I did it last year but didn’t end up submitting my play as I didn’t consider it finished, so this year is my chance to perfect and refine it! it’s a body of work that means a lot to me and that I’d like to do justice, so the time is worth it! the club is every Tuesday at lunchtime, and outside of school, I have to spend additional time writing my play. I feel this is also manageable with good time management. also, my play is already half done, so I don’t have as hard a task as others.

LAMDA: basically an acting exam. I have practice sessions for it every Thursday and the exam is in May. now, I did consider not doing it because it’s so close to my exams, BUT the exam itself is less than an hour, and my preparation for the exam is an hour weekly, which is fairly okay. again, it all balls down to my organisational skills! it should be manageable.

I think any other activities would be pushing it, so I will refrain from making any other extracurricular activities as my GCSEs are a priority this year!

>>> My GCSEs :crown:

okay well, that’s it for my weekly update, I believe! see you later <3 :heart:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by 3ggfriedrice;undefined)
x
(Original post by Icosagon;undefined)
x

Last edited by yemisi.ogun; 5 days ago
3ggfriedrice
Rep:
?
Report 12 minutes ago
Name:  gradebusters (2).png
Views: 2
Size:  150.0 KB
Weekly Big Update (Every Sunday but it's on Tuesday instead today because my organisational skills suck and I was stressed at the weekend:nooo:)

hey guys! here’s this week’s big update, just on Tuesday instead of Sunday lol

Reflection On Last Week + Goals for this Week

To be succinct, I didn’t successfully complete any of the tasks I set myself last week.:sigh:
It’s been a few weeks of me having these same goals, and I am appalled (really, truly appalled) :lolwut: that I haven’t been able to organise myself in a way whereby I could get them done.

It’s weird. :confused: It feels like there physically aren’t enough hours in the day for me to complete this stuff, but I know that’s not the case, and that I just suck miserably at prioritising.

Really, all I have to do is:

Spoiler:
Show
  1. Remember my responsibilities
  2. Set time aside for them
  3. Do them!!!

But somehow I’m failing at that?? :argh:

I think it may be helpful if I start setting myself daily goals out of the weekly goals, so I don’t leave all of the weekly goals to be done at the weekend, and then end up completing none when the school week burns me out and I feel like doing absolutely nothing.

if I say “today you’ll do [one of the big weekly goals] for an hour after school” I may be more likely to complete it. planning also makes me feel really productive, and feeling productive makes me feel happy and fulfilled and like I’m taking active strides to better my education and like I won’t fail my GCSEs and end up jobless and depressed (yes, that’s how drastic my thinking process is:headfire:).

so that’s the plan! I’m going to some kind of checklist/task to track my activities and make sure I get stuff done, and I’ll probably write my daily intentions on this blog as well so you can see I’m getting stuff done

anyways, my goals for this week are the same as the ones for last week, however, they really have to get done as:
Spoiler:
Show
  1. My HPQ essay is due this week (yes, this week) and I haven’t even started it, so I really need to knuckle down on that. unfortunately, due to practice, I’m very good at pulling things off last minute anyways, so I hope that will go okay! maybe afterwards, I can permanently discard my “talent” because i won’t/shouldn't need to pull something off last minute again lol. hopefully! :crossedf:
  2. I need to actually make a revision timetable because mocks are after half term and there’s no way I’ll even remotely succeed without good organisation and effective revision.
  3. it’d also be good if I caught up on any work I’m behind on because that missing content could very well turn up in my mocks, and I don’t want to end up using potential revision time catching up on notes that are from lockdowns.
  4. my drama portfolio (which consists of two parts) is due at the end of the half-term (in its complete form) and I haven’t even finished the first part:afraid: I think the importance of a portfolio worth 50% of my drama component 1 grade is undeniable, and hence, I should really get my portfolio done asap!

so yeah, completing my goals this week is pretty important.

as for tassomai, I’m finding I remember to do it some days, and completely forget others, which I won’t beat myself up about as I just need to get into a routine.

okay, that’s it! now for mocks :shot:

mocks
so, as I’ve mentioned a few times in previous posts, mocks are in November, a week or so after we return from half term, which starts this coming Monday (basically, this week is my last until half term). I’m feeling confident that I can do okay in these exams if I do everything right, but based on prior experiences of mine, I do fear my bad organisational skills, tendency to overthink, and other bad habits will prevent me from doing as such, with me instead getting everything wrong.:emo:

I’ve really got to overcome this negative mindset and just plough through though. I’m going to plan well so there are no late nights and breakdowns in the future.:yy:

We haven’t been told much about mocks, or what we’re doing for each subject, except for geography which we’ve been told is going to be on paper 3. that’s great because now I only have to revise paper 3 content.

With the other subjects (for now) I have to just revise everything and hope I’m not revising all the wrong stuff.:dontknow:

I guess that either way, it’d be me retaining knowledge that will 100% be included in my actual GCSEs, so I should try to look from a broader perspective.

I will let you know more about mocks and my preparation for them later

extracurriculars
I thought it’d be good for me to disclose some extracurricular activities I’ve undertaken this year, as they go hand in hand with my studies, in that they require time, commitment and concentration that could interfere with my education if I’m not careful.

comedy of errors (school play): I’ve been given a lead role for this production, meaning I will have more work to do, lines to learn and rehearsals to attend etc., but the production is completely finished by February, so I have a clear window free in the months prior to my exams. rehearsals are every Thursday after school, plus additional occasional rehearsals at lunchtime for specific scenes and characters. to me, this seems completely manageable.

new views: this is a national theatre competition for young playwrights! we’re required to write a 30-minute play with a story of our choice (though they encourage us to draw from personal experience). the winner gets their play staged, directed and performed by the national theatre company, which is an absolutely amazing opportunity! I did it last year but didn’t end up submitting my play as I didn’t consider it finished, so this year is my chance to perfect and refine it! it’s a body of work that means a lot to me and that I’d like to do justice, so the time is worth it! the club is every Tuesday at lunchtime, and outside of school, I have to spend additional time writing my play. I feel this is also manageable with good time management. also, my play is already half done, so I don’t have as hard a task as others.

LAMDA: basically an acting exam. I have practice sessions for it every Thursday and the exam is in May. now, I did consider not doing it because it’s so close to my exams, BUT the exam itself is less than an hour, and my preparation for the exam is an hour weekly, which is fairly okay. again, it all balls down to my organisational skills! it should be manageable.

I think any other activities would be pushing it, so I will refrain from making any other extracurricular activities as my GCSEs are a priority this year!

>>> My GCSEs :crown:

okay well, that’s it for my weekly update, I believe! see you later <3 :heart:

Spoiler:
Show

How’s half term been? With responsibilities, tips from Holly Gabrielle on YouTube include:

- to do list of tasks to reach towards your academic goals, remembering to break them into smaller, more precise instructions (e.g “revise trig values” instead of “revise maths”)
- within that to do list, you can arrange them into a priority list and you could mentally put a price on each to see which is worth spending more time on.
- when you’re spending a long time deciding what to do, jUST DO SMTH, because the sooner you start, the sooner you finish!!
- if you are making a revision timetable, base it around the exam timetable so you are working in order of the exams you are sitting. In theory it should work but I’ve never made one bc I know I wouldn’t stick to it 😂 just remember if you don’t manage to make one, any revision still matters.

Everyone is doing so many extra curriculars in 6th form and I’m just like 😩😩

Hope your HPQ went well btw 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (312)
57.99%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.13%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
10.97%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.36%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.83%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.72%

Watched Threads