The Student Room Group

Gradebusters: The SEQUEL! (A Year 11 GyG: 2021-2022)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
mid-week update: saturday 13th november 2021

hey guys! v/ quick update because i’m off to revise, but i’ll be in the library as long as it’s open today revising for mocks (which literally begin in a days time- i can’t believe it >.<). i’ve organised my activities vaguely on google calendar (i’ll attach a picture below), but that’s it! will update you later!

Spoiler

If you'd like to be sent a notification every time I create another post, let me know, and I'll tag/quote you below!

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
What year was the past paper that was used for english lit please help🤣🤣
Original post by yemisi.ogun
humungous life update! (because I had a system meltdown and went AWOL for three weeks to try to reform my brain from its mush)

hey guys….. so this is kinda awkward, but I’m back lol!
:creep: << me trying to come back without you guys noticing lmao

As you may or may not have noticed, I was gone for 3/4 weeks…
0 posts, 0 updates, 0 replies to anyone, 0 interaction.
zero.

To be honest, this took even me by surprise, as I had been so consistent with blogging (for the most part) and was really starting to get into the flow of things. I love pouring my thoughts into this blog and speaking with you guys:heart:. I love editing the text, making it bigger, smaller, bolder, and then scrolling through the emoticons before using outrageous amounts of them haha :awesome:

I love it all. :lovedup:

Starting this blog has been nothing but a positive experience for me thus far (I mean, obviously it takes up time, but that hasn’t been something that’s an issue, because I’ve managed to cope with good time management.) so how could I just shut down and stop posting?:coma:

I don’t have a concrete answer for that, but I think it was just a severe case of burnout:headfire:. Towards the end of the half term, I was feeling SO drained:boring:. So drained and tired and emotionally fragile. All the tests, the homework, the new content that’s fumbling my brain….

It made me freak out and abandon ship last minute. That’s why I didn’t give any mid-week updates during the week before the half-term. I was so tired and ready for it to be over. And that’s why I further didn’t give any updates during the half-term. I wanted to rest. I couldn’t find the energy to get up, grab my laptop and type. :dontknow:

now I’m typing away, so I guess I’ve exited my slump (probably because I’m back in school mode and mocks are in less than a week, so I have to be on top of my game), but that’s the explanation for my disappearance. I’m really sorry it happened, especially during half term when I would have had so many opportunities to talk to and engage with you guys, and post pictures of revision, and give updates on my confidence in certain topics and towards mocks in general, but I can assure you, another hiatus is not something that will happen again. thank you for sticking around <3

now, I’m going to tell you about what you missed the week prior to the half-term, and about what I actually did in the half term.

the week prior to half-term

I can't really recall what happened that week, so I’ll only tell you the important bits.

I got two test results back!!!! physics and my maths proof test :biggrin:

maths:

Spoiler

I was (and still am) so so happy with this score:h:, because maths is usually a subject I struggle immensely with:confused:, so I usually come out of most tests (even if they’re only unit tests) expecting low confidence and 50% if it was a good day. granted, this is only a topic test, and so it doesn’t completely reflect my maths skills in general, BUT….. baby steps.:daydreaming: it’s something. I can do something. and I’m going to use that something to motivate me to try harder in maths because maybe I don’t completely suck, and maybe I’d find things easier if I didn’t give up before I started.

physics

Spoiler

also really proud of this! physics is deffo my least favourite of the sciences (it’s not bad, just a bit more maths-y than I’d like, and we’ve already established I hate maths lmao), so this score kind of took me aback but in the best way possible :smile: Not much else to say about that haha.

half term

I did nothing. literally nothing. no homework, no revision. nothing. :dong:
(for the reasons I mentioned earlier)

I tried not to beat myself up about it because doing nothing got me some much-needed rest in time for the fortnight before mocks, where I could really focus my concentration and energy, but it was still disappointing. :frown:

I was able to make progress with my drama portfolio though (God, I have so much to update you on regarding drama) and also (almost) finish my HPQ essay on how the sociology of race and science intersect if they do at all.

but that’s it in terms of the half term!

mocks

so now, how do I feel about mocks? that’s a great question!

well frankly, not as worried as I feel I should be.

obviously, I shouldn’t be stressed or worried over mocks, but for some reason, I’ve got total apathy to the fact that they begin in a few days. on Monday. it’s surreal.

maybe my brain hasn’t processed the fact that these are actually my mocks and not just another classroom assessment.

I don’t feel like I don’t have enough revision time, which is funny (not funny at all, actually) because I’ve barely revised and more time to do so would be ideal to compensate, and I'm also not worried about content for any subjects (except maths, obviously, which I’m feeling better about than I expected I would considering my utter hatred and confusion towards the subject).

I reckon this attitude of mine is because I’m so used to barely revising before a test, most times literally just flicking through notes beforehand, and getting good enough/high grades. this is a really bad habit though. definitely something I need to break out of before my GCSEs:indiff:

we’ve been given topic lists for most subjects and they seem completely attainable??? most are topics I’m generally fine with, and the others just need to be refreshed in my mind. I'll be working on consolidating any rough patches over the weekend.

anyways, moving on...
the revision timetable didn't end up working lol :broken:
it just wasn't practical for me </3

I'm sure if I had made it, I would have followed it, as having a structured say really helps me be productive, but the time that would be taken to make one just isn't something that seemed worth it to me. :sigh: I'm just revising day-by-day based on the subjects I struggle most with, and the order of my exams. I do make daily timetable-ish, to-do list thingy that structures my day and motivates me, as a rough gameplan is always useful for somebody who can't be left to her own devices without ending up in bed with snacks :cookie: and binging a Netflix series (I have no self-control if you didn't notice lol).

I've been getting on well with Tassomai! I haven't been able to do it everyday, but it's been a great source of constant daily revision for me, even if it's only for 15/20 minutes :clap2:

lastly, here's my mocks timetable:

Spoiler

IT'S SO ANNOYING????? ENGLISH LIT FIRST????? I KNOW I REGARD ENGLISH AS ONE OF MY STRONGER SUBJECTS, BUT STILL????? 3 HARD TESTS ON THE SECOND DAY????? AND BIOLOGY FIRST PERIOD ON WEDNESDAY????? WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE PUT IT LATER????? THERE AREN'T ANY OTHER EXAMS THAT DAY?????

yeah idk what I'm going to do, to be honest. I know I said I wasn't as worried I think I should be for mocks, which is still kind of true, but this configuration of exams is really making me freak out.:eek3:

there's nothing to be done about it though, so I can only go into those exams and try my best.:crossedf:
....safe to say I won't be getting any sleep this weekend:sleep:

okay well, that's it for now, so thanks for sticking around, thanks for supporting me, thanks for reading this insanely long post, thanks for everything <333

If you'd like to be sent a notification every time I create another post, let me know, and I'll tag/quote you below!

Spoiler

DUDE YOURMATHS! THAT’S IMPRESSIVE
also how do you make the text big 😂

I remember I had English lit as my first exam but I was so glad when it is out the way 😩🤞

All the best for second week of mocks :biggrin: can’t imagine having 3 in a day!
Reply 63
Original post by 3ggfriedrice
DUDE YOURMATHS! THAT’S IMPRESSIVE
also how do you make the text big 😂

I remember I had English lit as my first exam but I was so glad when it is out the way 😩🤞

All the best for second week of mocks :biggrin: can’t imagine having 3 in a day!

thank you!!! i was v/ proud of myself :biggrin:

I'm not sure how it'd work on a phone (if that's what you're using), but on my laptop, I just click on advanced at the top-right of the text bar, highlight my text, click the letter 'T' with the up and down arrow, and click on the size I'd like! If you don't get what I mean, I will happily attach some photos lol.

and yes! after english lit, I found that I was very glad to get it out of the way! from then on, mocks weren't remotely as stressful.

and thanks for the good luck wishes! i think they actually came true :smile: I've basically finished my mocks now, and they went okay! I'm doing a longer update on mocks a bit later (I haven't had the time these past two weeks, as you can probably imagine), so you'll get a better perspective of how I've felt throughout these two weeks.

speak soon! <3
Reply 64
mocks update - thursday 25th november 2021

hey guys! sorry I haven’t updated you on how mocks have been going (I'm sure you can gather it’s because of revision and stress and blah blah blah lol), but I’m (kinda, not completely - sorry) gonna do that now! :smile:

so, my mocks are almost finished! basically finished. literally completely done in less than a week.
:blow: *celebratory trumpet noises*

I can’t believe I survived. I can’t believe I’m alive and breathing right now. I can’t believe I actually did my mocks????
my mocks????

even after almost two consistent weeks of just exams, I can’t believe I actually got through my mocks - something that once seemed so daunting and frightening and large to me:eek4: it definitely hasn’t been as bad as I would have expected. in some weird kind of way, it’s been kind of fulfilling and exhilarating!:dancing:

today I did drama, and I’ve got my german writing paper on Tuesday, but that’s it!

regardless of the outcome, I’m so happy with and proud of myself! :deal:

okay anyway, I'm knackered, my eyes are burning :afraid::headfire:, and I haven't had proper rest for two weeks straight so I'm off to bed asap, but I will give you a full rundown of my mocks tomorrow likely, or if not, on the weekend! i just wanted to let you know that these exams weren't to my demise and that I'm done haha!
thanks for reading <3 :heart:

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
I’m so so proud of you!!! Go to bed AND RELAX! YOU DID THIS AND YOU DID IT SO SO WELL
Hey for mocks what year was your paper
Reply 67
Original post by Icosagon
I’m so so proud of you!!! Go to bed AND RELAX! YOU DID THIS AND YOU DID IT SO SO WELL

thank you thank you!!!! :heart: i really appreciate it! i'm proud of myself to be honest - idk how I pulled it off! and yes, I literally passed out this weekend lol. I lay in bed and caught of up 2 weeks worth of missing sleep:sleep: now we've only got your mocks to go! I'll be cheering you along the whole way! <3 :dance:
Reply 68
Original post by Lolzzzz2222
Hey for mocks what year was your paper

Original post by helpppppgiirlll
What year was the past paper that was used for english lit please help🤣🤣

To answer both your questions: i'm not sure, sorry! i was so frazzled by the exam that I didn't check lol. good luck with your exams/revision/mocks though!:h:
Does anyone have any tips to help with making revision more managable and less boring?
Reply 70
mid-week update: monday 29th november 2021

tomorrow.
tomorrow I have my very. last. mock!!!!! exam!!!!!
I cannot emphasise this enough:

I'm so ready for these exams to be over!:dance:

It's not because I've hated mocks or because I had a horrendous experience that I want to expel from my memory, but all of this has been so draining and all-consuming. I have barely had time for anything else. now I can focus on other stuff! finally!

the exam is German writing (+ translation). I am slightly nervous, as the writing is usually harder than the reading (especially considering I'm doing the higher tier GCSE) but I've learnt my vocab, done practice questions and translations, and overall tried my best! I'll cut myself some slack considering it's the last of two and a bit consecutive weeks of pure exams.

also........ I GOT MY MATHS MOCKS SCORES BACK TODAY?????
HERE ARE THE RESULTS:

Spoiler

LITERALLT WHAT???? THESE ARE SO GOOD???? (for me lol) AND FAR BETTER THAN I EXPECTED??? :groovy:I'M SO HAPPY UH-

i compared them with the grade boundaries from previous years, and my percentage was worth a grade 8..... a grade 8......

WHATHBCH BGHBHV- no I almost cried when my teacher gave me the scores back because I actually expected to fail maths completely.... my confidence in the subject is so cripplingly low, I genuinely convinced myself a grade 3 was my only capability. now I feel like I could actually do okay... more than 'okay' even... i could do good??? in maths gcse??! maybe????? :iiam:

this has deffo motivated me to work harder and stop underestimating myself!

anyways, more on this later + a rundown of how the entirety of mocks went (in day-by-day detail) soon, because it's getting late and i haven't had the time to consistently update the blog lately <3 thanks for reading! MWAH! :lips: gute nacht! ('good night' auf deutsch! #revision #thegrindneverstopslol:dumbells: #okaygoodnightforrealnow)

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)

tomorrow.

It's not because I've hated mocks or because I had a horrendous experience that I want to expel from my memory, but all of this has been so draining and all-consuming. I have barely had time for anything else. now I can focus on other stuff! finally!

the exam is German writing (+ translation). I am slightly nervous, as the writing is usually harder than the reading (especially considering I'm doing the higher tier GCSE) but I've learnt my vocab, done practice questions and translations, and overall tried my best! I'll cut myself some slack considering it's the last of two and a bit consecutive weeks of pure exams.

HERE ARE THE RESULTS:

Spoiler

LITERALLT WHAT???? THESE ARE SO GOOD???? (for me lol) AND FAR BETTER THAN I EXPECTED??? :groovy:I'M SO HAPPY UH-

i compared them with the grade boundaries from previous years, and my percentage was worth a grade 8..... a grade 8......

WHATHBCH BGHBHV- no I almost cried when my teacher gave me the scores back because I actually expected to fail maths completely.... my confidence in the subject is so cripplingly low, I genuinely convinced myself a grade 3 was my only capability. now I feel like I could actually do okay... more than 'okay' even... i could do good??? in maths gcse??! maybe????? :iiam:

anyways, more on this later + a rundown of how the entirety of mocks went (in day-by-day detail) soon, because it's getting late and i haven't had the time to consistently update the blog lately <3 thanks for reading! MWAH! :lips: gute nacht! ('good night' auf deutsch! #revision #thegrindneverstopslol:dumbells: #okaygoodnightforrealnow)

Spoiler

JAJAMAKAKJAKAKA YES I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU
You can and will do AMAZING in maths GCSE!!!
If you see this before your German exam, good luck (or ‘viel Glück’ seems more appropriate haha) !! You’re going to smash this!
Is anyone doing English presentations?
mid-week update: Monday 29th november 2021

tomorrow.
tomorrow i have my very. last. mock!!!!! exam!!!!!
i cannot emphasise this enough:

it's not because i've hated mocks or because i had a horrendous experience that i want to expel from my memory, but all of this has been so draining and all-consuming. I have barely had time for anything else. Now i can focus on other stuff! finally!

the exam is german writing (+ translation). I am slightly nervous, as the writing is usually harder than the reading (especially considering i'm doing the higher tier gcse) but i've learnt my vocab, done practice questions and translations, and overall tried my best! I'll cut myself some slack considering it's the last of two and a bit consecutive weeks of pure exams.

Also........ i got my maths mocks scores back today?????
here are the results:

Spoiler

literallt what???? These are so good???? (for me lol) and far better than i expected??? :groovy:i'm so happy uh-

whathbch bghbhv- no i almost cried when my teacher gave me the scores back because i actually expected to fail maths completely.... My confidence in the subject is so cripplingly low, i genuinely convinced myself a grade 3 was my only capability. Now i feel like i could actually do okay... more than 'okay' even... I could do good??? in maths gcse??! maybe????? :iiam:

Anyways, more on this later + a rundown of how the entirety of mocks went (in day-by-day detail) soon, because it's getting late and i haven't had the time to consistently update the blog lately <3 thanks for reading! Mwah! :lips: gute nacht! ('good night' auf deutsch! #revision #thegrindneverstopslol:dumbells: #okaygoodnightforrealnow)

if you'd like to be sent a notification every time i create another post, let me know, and i'll tag/quote you below!

Spoiler

yeeeeeehaw 🤠🤠🤠🤠
Original post by InkaBloom

you mean english language speaking endorsement??? If so then YASS
Reply 75
Original post by InkaBloom

if you mean the speaking nea, then yeah :smile: i did mine a while ago lol! i got a distinction!
Reply 76
JAJAMAKAKJAKAKA YES I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU
You can and will do AMAZING in maths GCSE!!!
If you see this before your German exam, good luck (or ‘viel Glück’ seems more appropriate haha) !! You’re going to smash this!

TJANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YIU <3 i think your ‘viel Glück’ payed off because german went really well!!!! there was one word i didn’t know, which was the word for ‘share’ in german, so i guessed it, and when i googled it after the exam, i got it CORRECT????? so that’s a glimmer of hope that i actually did okay lol☺️ do you take german? ALSO, I JUST REALISED UR MOCKS START TODAY (????) BEST OF LUCK MWAH! you will absolutely absolutely smash it!
TJANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YIU <3 i think your ‘viel Glück’ payed off because german went really well!!!! there was one word i didn’t know, which was the word for ‘share’ in german, so i guessed it, and when i googled it after the exam, i got it CORRECT????? so that’s a glimmer of hope that i actually did okay lol☺️ do you take german? ALSO, I JUST REALISED UR MOCKS START TODAY (????) BEST OF LUCK MWAH! you will absolutely absolutely smash it!

YESS GET INNN
What a feeling when you guess a word and get it right!!! Yes I do take German :biggrin: Got my writing on Thursday :ahee:
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Today was quite good - maybe I’ll update on my GYG! But now, bio and chem revision awaits… :sadnod:

tomorrow.

HERE ARE THE RESULTS:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Wow you did amazingly well. Good job!!! I recently moved onto higher paper and have my first maths exam tomorrow. Do you know which paper came up in the non calculator exam or do you remember any topics?
Reply 79
YESS GET INNN
What a feeling when you guess a word and get it right!!! Yes I do take German :biggrin: Got my writing on Thursday :ahee:
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Today was quite good - maybe I’ll update on my GYG! But now, bio and chem revision awaits… :sadnod:

omg COOL! people who took german are superior lol! :cool: most people in my year took french, so I often feel a bit odd for taking german, but I like it sooo....

AND I'M GLAD TODAY WENT GOOD FOR YOU! GREAT START TO MOCKS!

not so great though, is having BIOLOGY AND CHEM ON THE SAME DAY??? that is such a bad combo..... i mean, you mentioned this to me already, but it's still a shock! i am sending you so much strength ahah! absolute best of luck (though I'm sure you don't need it, as from what I can tell, you've worked really hard):heart: whatever happens, you're amazing and your grades don't define you <3

and don't worry about updating your gyg (unless you want to and have the time to) - I didn't have the time or effort or sleep capacity to update mine the entirety of mocks, so I understand :smile:

GOOD LUCK FOR THE REST OF YOUR MOCKS IN CASE YOU'RE BUSY AND I DON'T HEAR FROM U! YOU'LL DO GREAT!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending