The Student Room Group

Gradebusters: The SEQUEL! (A Year 11 GyG: 2021-2022)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yemisi.ogun
omg COOL! people who took german are superior lol! :cool: most people in my year took french, so I often feel a bit odd for taking german, but I like it sooo....

AND I'M GLAD TODAY WENT GOOD FOR YOU! GREAT START TO MOCKS!

not so great though, is having BIOLOGY AND CHEM ON THE SAME DAY??? that is such a bad combo..... i mean, you mentioned this to me already, but it's still a shock! i am sending you so much strength ahah! absolute best of luck (though I'm sure you don't need it, as from what I can tell, you've worked really hard):heart: whatever happens, you're amazing and your grades don't define you <3

and don't worry about updating your gyg (unless you want to and have the time to) - I didn't have the time or effort or sleep capacity to update mine the entirety of mocks, so I understand :smile:

GOOD LUCK FOR THE REST OF YOUR MOCKS IN CASE YOU'RE BUSY AND I DON'T HEAR FROM U! YOU'LL DO GREAT!

YESS :five: German‘s much more superior to French in my opinion. We did French for 2 years but I don’t remember a word…

THANK YOU

THE STRESSY EXAM PREP BEFORE WAS HORRID but the actual exam was not too bad!! Aw thank you so much, you’re so nice!!

Lol thanks so much! I agree - it’s too chaotic!

THANK YOU - nearly done now! Only maths and German left! :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by Icosagon
YESS :five: German‘s much more superior to French in my opinion. We did French for 2 years but I don’t remember a word…

THANK YOU

THE STRESSY EXAM PREP BEFORE WAS HORRID but the actual exam was not too bad!! Aw thank you so much, you’re so nice!!

Lol thanks so much! I agree - it’s too chaotic!

THANK YOU - nearly done now! Only maths and German left! :smile:

LOL NEITHER! it's actually kind of appalling how 3 years of French just left my mind :iiam:

And no worries! <3 My experience was similar in that the prep was always worse than the actual exam... but, I'd rather that than the revision process is okay and I come out of the exam hall sobbing haha

YAY SO ARE U FINISHED WITH UR MOCKS NOW???

CONGRATS:blow:
Reply 82
mid-week update: wednesday 15th december 2021

hey guys! happy holiday season!!!! :holly2:

it's been a while since I've updated (no plausible reason for that apart from being soooo tired) which I apologise for, but I'm back!! :smile:

mocks, obviously, are now completely done (as I've already told you), so I'm back in normal lessons! it's quite odd actually because when I first went back to lessons, it was really hard adjusting to not walking into the exam hall every day, ready to write till my hand literally fell off:work:, or if I wasn't doing that, sitting in a silent classroom of stressed teenagers revising. in fact, there was something comforting about exams, especially after I got into the flow of it and didn't hyperventilate from stress before every one lol. now, I'm back in the school zone, and mocks, as big as they seemed at the time, are a thing of the past! apart from that, I am just super duper unbelievably tired :sleep:I need sleep. and I can't wait for us to break up for the holidays so I can fall asleep and just not wake up lol </3 :candycane: no alarms. no pressure.
anyways....

tomorrow is the day.
we get back every. single. one. of our grades from mocks.
AHHHHH!!!!??s@@q%^ghh:eek4:

for all subjects, I've already gotten my scores back, and they were okay/good, but that is totally different to what gsce grade I'm gonna get..... SCARY

I'll let you guys know what scores and grades I got for everything once I can gather the energy to compile it into a list!

anyways, I think that's basically it as I need sleep lol <3 goodnight and thanks for reading!!!!

If you'd like to be sent a notification every time I create another post, let me know, and I'll tag/quote you below!

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
mid-week update: wednesday 15th december 2021

hey guys! happy holiday season!!!! :holly2:

it's been a while since I've updated (no plausible reason for that apart from being soooo tired) which I apologise for, but I'm back!! :smile:

mocks, obviously, are now completely done (as I've already told you), so I'm back in normal lessons! it's quite odd actually because when I first went back to lessons, it was really hard adjusting to not walking into the exam hall every day, ready to write till my hand literally fell off:work:, or if I wasn't doing that, sitting in a silent classroom of stressed teenagers revising. in fact, there was something comforting about exams, especially after I got into the flow of it and didn't hyperventilate from stress before every one lol. now, I'm back in the school zone, and mocks, as big as they seemed at the time, are a thing of the past! apart from that, I am just super duper unbelievably tired :sleep:I need sleep. and I can't wait for us to break up for the holidays so I can fall asleep and just not wake up lol </3 :candycane: no alarms. no pressure.
anyways....

tomorrow is the day.

for all subjects, I've already gotten my scores back, and they were okay/good, but that is totally different to what gsce grade I'm gonna get..... SCARY

I'll let you guys know what scores and grades I got for everything once I can gather the energy to compile it into a list!

anyways, I think that's basically it as I need sleep lol <3 goodnight and thanks for reading!!!!

If you'd like to be sent a notification every time I create another post, let me know, and I'll tag/quote you below!

Spoiler

goodluckkkk, also ill hav a tag lol
LOL NEITHER! it's actually kind of appalling how 3 years of French just left my mind :iiam:

And no worries! <3 My experience was similar in that the prep was always worse than the actual exam... but, I'd rather that than the revision process is okay and I come out of the exam hall sobbing haha

YAY SO ARE U FINISHED WITH UR MOCKS NOW???

CONGRATS:blow:

LOL I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHY

OOH EXACTLY. I got very lucky on many occasions as nothing too major came up on the topics that I didn’t have time to revise.

YES!! I. AM. DONE.
I AM SO READY FOR THE HOLIDAYS (EVEN THOUGH I SHOULD PROBABLY REVISE)
HASN‘T QUITE SUNK IN YET - BUT WE DID IT!!!!! :five:
tomorrow is the day.

omgz that sounds quite scary - good luck!!
Good night too - you go catch those Zs (?!)
Hope you got those grades you wished for! Good timing for the end of the year, please relax super well over the holiday. I definitely will 🤠
Reply 87
Original post by nikkiblonsky
goodluckkkk, also ill hav a tag lol

thank you!!! <3 the results were actually okay (I'm writing a post about it now) and I'm not too mad about them! Also, I'd be more than glad to tag you!!!! thanks so much for asking!
Reply 88
LOL I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHY

OOH EXACTLY. I got very lucky on many occasions as nothing too major came up on the topics that I didn’t have time to revise.

YES!! I. AM. DONE.
I AM SO READY FOR THE HOLIDAYS (EVEN THOUGH I SHOULD PROBABLY REVISE)
HASN‘T QUITE SUNK IN YET - BUT WE DID IT!!!!! :five:

(Sorry for the ridiculously late reply, but)

HOW WERE UR HOLIDAYS!!!??? i hope you got every ounce of rest you deserved after your mocks!!

AND HOW HAS GOING BACK TO SCHOOL BEEN? I think the beginning of 2022 really shook me in that this is the year I do my actual GCSEs.... in around 5 months.................. unbelievable

BUT we're going to do absolutely amazing :biggrin:

mocks proved to us that we can get through hardcore exams and that we can survive!

hope you're well <3
Reply 89
omgz that sounds quite scary - good luck!!
Good night too - you go catch those Zs (?!)

it was really scary, but the results were actually okay and I didn't pass out when I received the envelope, so that's something lol:proud: I'm writing a long overdue post now :smile:
How are you all? :biggrin:
Reply 91
Original post by InkaBloom
How are you all? :biggrin:

Hello!! I'm good thank you!! <3 Still stressed, still tired, facing a lot of big upcoming changes which are really confusing, but happy most days and trying to work on creating the best version of myself. A version of myself that's consistent, hard-working, curious, organised - a version of myself that will do well in my GCSEs this year (God, I hate the thought of them being so close). I'll elaborate more on how I'm doing in an upcoming post (because it's been so long and I feel like I should address all of you on how life has been lol), but thanks for asking <3

How have you been? How are you? :smile:

Also, would you like to be tagged in my posts?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 92
another long-overdue life update because I'm #inconsistent

hello guys! so obviously, it’s been a whileeeeeeeeeeee since I last updated my blog and you probably wondered where I disappeared to (or not; I don’t reckon I’m that memorable or important to any of you lol. Either way, I hope you’re willing to forgive me for probably my 1000th hiatus during the time this GyG has been running:crossedf: )

There are mental health and general well-being reasons behind my disappearance (e.g. being so tired I’m fighting :kungfu: the urge to collapse and sleep anywhere and everywhere, lack of motivation :coma:, lack of time :bee2: (<< busy bee, get it? lol), overwhelming amounts of stress and anxiety :bawling:, big life changes ahead etc.), but they’re standard issues of mine and some that I’ve explained before on this blog, so I won’t write a huge essay about it. For real this time though, I’m so happy to be back!:daydreaming: Everything about this feels so natural, and every time something significant in my school life happens, I only wanted to tell you guys :blushing: So, grab a snack (or two.. or three… you might be here for a while) and prepare for an excruciatingly long life update from yours truly,

the most inconsistent “blogger” ever, who has the audacity to drop in once every two decades with another apology and awfully long autobiographical post catching you up on what happened whilst I was AWOL.

or just Yemisi. Whichever you prefer.

:xmasgrin: :claus: :candycane: :cracker: :candle: Also, I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas and new year’s period! :xmasgrin: :claus: :candycane: :cracker: :candle:

I was meant to tell you that, you know, a tad closer to the time and not a month late, but I truly didn’t have the mental capacity or morale at the time. The festive wasn’t so festive for me this year, so that sucked, and I can’t even say I did any revision or homework to compensate :s-smilie: But I did get some much-needed rest :sleep:, and as you may or may not know, sleep is one of the rarest, most beautiful, cherished things to me in my life at the moment. I guess what they say is true: Distance makes the heart grow fonder. And my distance from a good night’s sleep made my heart grow immensely fond :cube:

Obviously, that didn’t last long and my sleep schedule went back to being distorted as soon as that first Tuesday back at school came, but it was nice whilst it lasted…

ANYWAYS-

new year, new me?

It’s 2022 and that’s an absolutely terrifying thought:afraid:. 2022 - the year I do my GCSEs, the year I leave secondary school, the place I’ve spent 5 years growing into a completely new
w
and unrecognisable person
, the year I start 6th form (saying that feels illegal:hmmmm:), the year I let go (of a lot of things, but especially friends and good memories and familiarity), the year I push myself, the year I exceed my boundaries), the year I change a lot.

I think about this and sometimes stop breathing. I remember I’ll never be as young and fruitful as I am now, and I remember I’ll never stop changing - ever. I remember that the time will never stop ticking and the Earth will never stop orbiting the sun, and as much as I want to hold onto the things and people I love, I can’t. By the laws of life and the cycle of humanity, I physically am. not. allowed.

I’m stupendously scared.

But 2022 will be a great year for me. Change is good, albeit daunting, and I’m trying to embrace it.

Moving on from my existential crisis:
Here are some study-related New Years Resolutions of mine:

Spoiler

If I think of any others, I'll let you know, but for now, let’s just hope I can keep up with the ones I’ve got as of now!

mocks

So mocks. Mocks that happened in November. Mocks that happened how many months ago. Mocks that happened last year. Mocks I kept promising to update you on, but I just didn’t???? :confused:

Honestly, I won’t go too much into my mocks now because of how seemingly long ago they were and I’ve got far more relevant and imminent things to discuss with you guys, but I will tell you my general thoughts on them, how I did and what I learned.

so, on the first day of my mocks, I had English literature as my only exam. I was so so incredibly nervous and overwhelmed that literally a few minutes before we went into the exam hall, I started welling up and then proceeded to sob :cry:. I didn’t feel like I had had enough time to revise and I was really worried:ashamed2: about what would happen if I couldn’t remember 'an inspector calls' quotes (I was struggling to remember eric, Gerald and Mrs Birling quotes, and funny enough, neither of the question choices were on them hahaha so funny). I was also worried about the poetry quotes:dong:. I consider English my strongest subject, so I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure I did well because if I didn’t, I would go into a crippling depression of feeling useless and untalented and bad at everything I do lol:zomg:. for me, it’s very much ‘if I can’t do English, I can’t do anything' and I was terrified to do badly and disappoint not only myself but my English teacher who always believes in and encourages me. He was marking the paper, and I feared he’d read it and be like “lol what in the world is this?”. well, guess what? the poem we were given was an incredibly pleasant one to analyse and one that matches hand-in-hand with a poem I know like the back of my stupid hand????? what a waste of tears lol :curious:

after that, the rest of the exams, whilst still slightly nerve-wracking, weren’t half as bad. I didn’t stress out. I didn’t overwhelm myself. I didn’t hyperventilate and cry as a pre-exam ritual, which I’d say is pretty successful lol. by the second and final week of exams, I barely felt anything walking into the exam hall every day:dontknow:. In fact, I felt quite bored of exams and wanted them to be over ASAP. I was also excruciatingly tired and burnt out:headfire:, which definitely played a part in my sudden change of attitude towards my mocks.

Anyways, my scores weren’t that bad!!!

Here were the grades I got!

Spoiler

drama

Moving on, you may or may not remember me talking about my crazy drama teacher changing our GCSE DRAMA PIECE (LIKE 15% OF THE ENTIRE QUALIFICATION) literally days before it was meant to be performed and graded.:banghead:

On the 9th of November, we performed it and it went okay!:h: We had to run through it quite a few times, and at parts, I was really stressed because of all the sudden and last-minute feedback we were receiving from my drama teacher and others watching the performance before it got recorded - like, this was my actual GCSE performance, and minutes before the version that would be recorded and sent off for GRADING was to be filmed, our group was still messing up:catfight:. But we acted upon the feedback accordingly, and pulled it together, even though I didn’t and still don’t think the performance was impeccable. It was good enough to get me AT LEAST an okay grade, which I’ll accept given all the turmoil and unexpected challenge we faced in the development of this one piece of theatre. When we did our final recorded run through, most in the class were watching, and after, when it went silent and the lights went down, everyone clapped and started hugging each other (because they knew how many times we had been forced to drastically change our piece, even till days before the graded performance). It was a really proud and monumental moment for me - it made all the effort and tears seem worth it :u: I’m very glad to have had such a supportive class. I then stayed to watch the others practice and record their performances is. It was a successful day, and I’m incredibly proud of how everyone in the class pulled together (even under difficult circumstances):congrats:.

Honestly, I can’t remember much else about that situation because the whole debacle caused me so much stress, I wanted so. badly. for it to be over and done with. Like, when it was done, it completely left my mind because I literally never wanted it to think about it again. Ever. Again.

When we came back to school after Christmas, we did a timed 1h 30min evaluation of our performance, which is a very important part of the grade we receive for this component of the Drama GCSE. I think it went okay, especially since I consider writing one of my strong suits. It was done over two lessons in class, and is now being graded! I ended up writing about 5 pages, of which I’m really proud of, but I’m sure my grammar suffered because of the sheer amounts I wrote lol. Again, not thinking too much about that because it’s in the past and there’s not much to say about it till I receive my grade back, but yeah! I’ll let you know about any further progressions!

textiles

Further, I finished my Textiles Practical work!!!! :clap2:I still have the portfolio and other writing bits to finish, but I’m so happy the physical skirt is complete!!!! I think it turned out so well!!! I’ll attach a pic!!!!

Spoiler

german speaking

As part of my upcoming February mocks, last week we had Language Speaking Exams. Unlike the speaking exam practice we had done way back when last year, this time it included the general conversation (worth 30 marks!!!!!!:eek:), which I was terrified for. It was my first time doing this so I didn’t really know what to expect, and that anticipation made the whole experience so much more stressful than it had to be:ashamed:. I felt, like I do with most exams, that the revision I had done wasn’t adequate (even though most times it is). It turned out okay though!:ahee: I did the photo card, role-play and general conversation fairly easily, and (most of) the topics I was asked questions on were surprisingly pleasant!!!:colondollar: the last topic I was asked questions on was ‘Holidays’ though, which is unfortunate because that’s the topic we did most recently, I knew relatively little about and I revised the least, not thinking it’d come up. I was able to get through with general German knowledge, but it probably wasn’t as fluent or cohesive as it could have been. I was also asked to ask a question at the end and my mind totally froze:dots: and I got super overwhelmed :eek3: and panicked :doh:and hated my brain for not being able to think faster:facepalm:, and after a while, I just asked my teacher if I could leave it. This probably lost me a mark or two, but next time, I know not to let my nerves dominate me and to ask the question during the conversation (without a prompt by the examiner at the end) with a topic I’m more comfortable with (the question I asked had to be related to ‘holidays’ as that was the topic we were currently discussing, and I suck at the holiday topic).

I’ll use this as a learning experience, and will make sure to revise EVERYTHING in the future :smile:

We find out our scores this week, so I’ll let you know what i got out of 60!

A-Level and Sixth Form

Now, the question that has caused me so much stress… What am I taking for my A-Levels? :s:

I had always known what Sixth Form I was attending, so that was never a problem, but OH MY GOD, figuring out what subjects I wanted to do for A-Levels was the dictionary definition for ‘a problem’. I’m a really clingy and indecisive person, in that I have a hard time letting things go and not dwelling on ‘what could have been’.:nope:

What if in Year 13, you suddenly decide you want to become a vet but you didn’t take biology and chemistry?
What if you suddenly decide fashion isn’t your passion?
What if you actually want to become a geographer or climatologist or marine biologist?
What if you end up hating your A-Level choices?
What if you get it wrong?

The fact I’m not really sure what I want to do with my life apart from something ‘creative’ didn’t help much either.:frown:

Realistically, I know what I take at A-Level isn’t the be-all and end-all, but it feels that way, and I can’t seem to shake the subtle, but simultaneously overbearing, feeling that one mistake messes up my whole life. This is the first time (in my life probably) I’ve had to narrow down my options so much, and the thought of letting so much go is hard. Maybe this is something I should see a therapist about lmao.

Anyways, all the subjects I considered were:

Spoiler

And I had to half that….
Down to four….
Max.

Three, ideally.

It was immensely difficult and I felt so much pressure, like the world would implode and I would disappear.:shoot:

(Here’s some photographic evidence of me and my friends struggling to pick my subjects haha)

Spoiler

However, after weeks of harassing:stomp: my friends for their opinions, drawing excessive amounts of pros and cons lists, talking to teachers:blah:, and non-stop overthinking:woo:, today, I finally decided what subjects I want to take after a meeting with my school careers consultant, which was conveniently timed considering I have to submit which subjects I want to take tomorrow:vroam:.

I still feel unsure and don’t really know if the decision I’m making is right, but I’m trying to trust and reassure myself that there is no “right” decision and that whatever feels right to me, is right.

So: here are the A-Level subjects I’m taking:

Spoiler

Why:

Spoiler

Now, it was between German and Geography, but I think I’ve decided German for now. I can always change from German to Geography in the first few weeks of 6th Form anyway (though I’d prefer not to) so I’ll see how I feel in a few months time! :smile: I’ll tell you why I wanted to take Geography, so you can offer any opinions or advice you have, given the other subjects I’m taking, perhaps, experience and just general knowledge!

So: Why did I consider Geography at all?

Spoiler

Anyways that’s it I think?

Opinions much appreciated!! I like German and Geography basically the same, so this is a really difficult decision I’d appreciate input on!

Okay well this is getting really long, so I’ll cut it off there, but I hope you guys feel well updated! Thanks for reading, thanks for listening, thanks for sticking around with me, and see you in the next post (which I promise won’t be next year lol) <3 Let me know if you have any questions or if there’s anything I missed!!

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
another long-overdue life update because I'm #inconsistent

hello guys! so obviously, it’s been a whileeeeeeeeeeee since I last updated my blog and you probably wondered where I disappeared to (or not; I don’t reckon I’m that memorable or important to any of you lol. Either way, I hope you’re willing to forgive me for probably my 1000th hiatus during the time this GyG has been running:crossedf: )

There are mental health and general well-being reasons behind my disappearance (e.g. being so tired I’m fighting :kungfu: the urge to collapse and sleep anywhere and everywhere, lack of motivation :coma:, lack of time :bee2: (<< busy bee, get it? lol), overwhelming amounts of stress and anxiety :bawling:, big life changes ahead etc.), but they’re standard issues of mine and some that I’ve explained before on this blog, so I won’t write a huge essay about it. For real this time though, I’m so happy to be back!:daydreaming: Everything about this feels so natural, and every time something significant in my school life happens, I only wanted to tell you guys :blushing: So, grab a snack (or two.. or three… you might be here for a while) and prepare for an excruciatingly long life update from yours truly,

the most inconsistent “blogger” ever, who has the audacity to drop in once every two decades with another apology and awfully long autobiographical post catching you up on what happened whilst I was AWOL.

or just Yemisi. Whichever you prefer.

:xmasgrin: :claus: :candycane: :cracker: :candle: Also, I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas and new year’s period! :xmasgrin: :claus: :candycane: :cracker: :candle:

I was meant to tell you that, you know, a tad closer to the time and not a month late, but I truly didn’t have the mental capacity or morale at the time. The festive wasn’t so festive for me this year, so that sucked, and I can’t even say I did any revision or homework to compensate :s-smilie: But I did get some much-needed rest :sleep:, and as you may or may not know, sleep is one of the rarest, most beautiful, cherished things to me in my life at the moment. I guess what they say is true: Distance makes the heart grow fonder. And my distance from a good night’s sleep made my heart grow immensely fond :cube:

Obviously, that didn’t last long and my sleep schedule went back to being distorted as soon as that first Tuesday back at school came, but it was nice whilst it lasted…

ANYWAYS-

new year, new me?

It’s 2022 and that’s an absolutely terrifying thought:afraid:. 2022 - the year I do my GCSEs, the year I leave secondary school, the place I’ve spent 5 years growing into a completely new
w
and unrecognisable person
, the year I start 6th form (saying that feels illegal:hmmmm:), the year I let go (of a lot of things, but especially friends and good memories and familiarity), the year I push myself, the year I exceed my boundaries), the year I change a lot.

I think about this and sometimes stop breathing. I remember I’ll never be as young and fruitful as I am now, and I remember I’ll never stop changing - ever. I remember that the time will never stop ticking and the Earth will never stop orbiting the sun, and as much as I want to hold onto the things and people I love, I can’t. By the laws of life and the cycle of humanity, I physically am. not. allowed.

I’m stupendously scared.

But 2022 will be a great year for me. Change is good, albeit daunting, and I’m trying to embrace it.

Moving on from my existential crisis:
Here are some study-related New Years Resolutions of mine:

Spoiler

If I think of any others, I'll let you know, but for now, let’s just hope I can keep up with the ones I’ve got as of now!

mocks

So mocks. Mocks that happened in November. Mocks that happened how many months ago. Mocks that happened last year. Mocks I kept promising to update you on, but I just didn’t???? :confused:

Honestly, I won’t go too much into my mocks now because of how seemingly long ago they were and I’ve got far more relevant and imminent things to discuss with you guys, but I will tell you my general thoughts on them, how I did and what I learned.

so, on the first day of my mocks, I had English literature as my only exam. I was so so incredibly nervous and overwhelmed that literally a few minutes before we went into the exam hall, I started welling up and then proceeded to sob :cry:. I didn’t feel like I had had enough time to revise and I was really worried:ashamed2: about what would happen if I couldn’t remember 'an inspector calls' quotes (I was struggling to remember eric, Gerald and Mrs Birling quotes, and funny enough, neither of the question choices were on them hahaha so funny). I was also worried about the poetry quotes:dong:. I consider English my strongest subject, so I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure I did well because if I didn’t, I would go into a crippling depression of feeling useless and untalented and bad at everything I do lol:zomg:. for me, it’s very much ‘if I can’t do English, I can’t do anything' and I was terrified to do badly and disappoint not only myself but my English teacher who always believes in and encourages me. He was marking the paper, and I feared he’d read it and be like “lol what in the world is this?”. well, guess what? the poem we were given was an incredibly pleasant one to analyse and one that matches hand-in-hand with a poem I know like the back of my stupid hand????? what a waste of tears lol :curious:

after that, the rest of the exams, whilst still slightly nerve-wracking, weren’t half as bad. I didn’t stress out. I didn’t overwhelm myself. I didn’t hyperventilate and cry as a pre-exam ritual, which I’d say is pretty successful lol. by the second and final week of exams, I barely felt anything walking into the exam hall every day:dontknow:. In fact, I felt quite bored of exams and wanted them to be over ASAP. I was also excruciatingly tired and burnt out:headfire:, which definitely played a part in my sudden change of attitude towards my mocks.

Anyways, my scores weren’t that bad!!!

Here were the grades I got!

Spoiler

drama

Moving on, you may or may not remember me talking about my crazy drama teacher changing our GCSE DRAMA PIECE (LIKE 15% OF THE ENTIRE QUALIFICATION) literally days before it was meant to be performed and graded.:banghead:

On the 9th of November, we performed it and it went okay!:h: We had to run through it quite a few times, and at parts, I was really stressed because of all the sudden and last-minute feedback we were receiving from my drama teacher and others watching the performance before it got recorded - like, this was my actual GCSE performance, and minutes before the version that would be recorded and sent off for GRADING was to be filmed, our group was still messing up:catfight:. But we acted upon the feedback accordingly, and pulled it together, even though I didn’t and still don’t think the performance was impeccable. It was good enough to get me AT LEAST an okay grade, which I’ll accept given all the turmoil and unexpected challenge we faced in the development of this one piece of theatre. When we did our final recorded run through, most in the class were watching, and after, when it went silent and the lights went down, everyone clapped and started hugging each other (because they knew how many times we had been forced to drastically change our piece, even till days before the graded performance). It was a really proud and monumental moment for me - it made all the effort and tears seem worth it :u: I’m very glad to have had such a supportive class. I then stayed to watch the others practice and record their performances is. It was a successful day, and I’m incredibly proud of how everyone in the class pulled together (even under difficult circumstances):congrats:.

Honestly, I can’t remember much else about that situation because the whole debacle caused me so much stress, I wanted so. badly. for it to be over and done with. Like, when it was done, it completely left my mind because I literally never wanted it to think about it again. Ever. Again.

When we came back to school after Christmas, we did a timed 1h 30min evaluation of our performance, which is a very important part of the grade we receive for this component of the Drama GCSE. I think it went okay, especially since I consider writing one of my strong suits. It was done over two lessons in class, and is now being graded! I ended up writing about 5 pages, of which I’m really proud of, but I’m sure my grammar suffered because of the sheer amounts I wrote lol. Again, not thinking too much about that because it’s in the past and there’s not much to say about it till I receive my grade back, but yeah! I’ll let you know about any further progressions!

textiles

Further, I finished my Textiles Practical work!!!! :clap2:I still have the portfolio and other writing bits to finish, but I’m so happy the physical skirt is complete!!!! I think it turned out so well!!! I’ll attach a pic!!!!

Spoiler

german speaking

As part of my upcoming February mocks, last week we had Language Speaking Exams. Unlike the speaking exam practice we had done way back when last year, this time it included the general conversation (worth 30 marks!!!!!!:eek:), which I was terrified for. It was my first time doing this so I didn’t really know what to expect, and that anticipation made the whole experience so much more stressful than it had to be:ashamed:. I felt, like I do with most exams, that the revision I had done wasn’t adequate (even though most times it is). It turned out okay though!:ahee: I did the photo card, role-play and general conversation fairly easily, and (most of) the topics I was asked questions on were surprisingly pleasant!!!:colondollar: the last topic I was asked questions on was ‘Holidays’ though, which is unfortunate because that’s the topic we did most recently, I knew relatively little about and I revised the least, not thinking it’d come up. I was able to get through with general German knowledge, but it probably wasn’t as fluent or cohesive as it could have been. I was also asked to ask a question at the end and my mind totally froze:dots: and I got super overwhelmed :eek3: and panicked :doh:and hated my brain for not being able to think faster:facepalm:, and after a while, I just asked my teacher if I could leave it. This probably lost me a mark or two, but next time, I know not to let my nerves dominate me and to ask the question during the conversation (without a prompt by the examiner at the end) with a topic I’m more comfortable with (the question I asked had to be related to ‘holidays’ as that was the topic we were currently discussing, and I suck at the holiday topic).

I’ll use this as a learning experience, and will make sure to revise EVERYTHING in the future :smile:

We find out our scores this week, so I’ll let you know what i got out of 60!

A-Level and Sixth Form

Now, the question that has caused me so much stress… What am I taking for my A-Levels? :s:

I had always known what Sixth Form I was attending, so that was never a problem, but OH MY GOD, figuring out what subjects I wanted to do for A-Levels was the dictionary definition for ‘a problem’. I’m a really clingy and indecisive person, in that I have a hard time letting things go and not dwelling on ‘what could have been’.:nope:

What if in Year 13, you suddenly decide you want to become a vet but you didn’t take biology and chemistry?
What if you suddenly decide fashion isn’t your passion?
What if you actually want to become a geographer or climatologist or marine biologist?
What if you end up hating your A-Level choices?
What if you get it wrong?

The fact I’m not really sure what I want to do with my life apart from something ‘creative’ didn’t help much either.:frown:

Realistically, I know what I take at A-Level isn’t the be-all and end-all, but it feels that way, and I can’t seem to shake the subtle, but simultaneously overbearing, feeling that one mistake messes up my whole life. This is the first time (in my life probably) I’ve had to narrow down my options so much, and the thought of letting so much go is hard. Maybe this is something I should see a therapist about lmao.

Anyways, all the subjects I considered were:

Spoiler

And I had to half that….
Down to four….
Max.

Three, ideally.

It was immensely difficult and I felt so much pressure, like the world would implode and I would disappear.:shoot:

(Here’s some photographic evidence of me and my friends struggling to pick my subjects haha)

Spoiler

However, after weeks of harassing:stomp: my friends for their opinions, drawing excessive amounts of pros and cons lists, talking to teachers:blah:, and non-stop overthinking:woo:, today, I finally decided what subjects I want to take after a meeting with my school careers consultant, which was conveniently timed considering I have to submit which subjects I want to take tomorrow:vroam:.

I still feel unsure and don’t really know if the decision I’m making is right, but I’m trying to trust and reassure myself that there is no “right” decision and that whatever feels right to me, is right.

So: here are the A-Level subjects I’m taking:

Spoiler

Why:

Spoiler

Now, it was between German and Geography, but I think I’ve decided German for now. I can always change from German to Geography in the first few weeks of 6th Form anyway (though I’d prefer not to) so I’ll see how I feel in a few months time! :smile: I’ll tell you why I wanted to take Geography, so you can offer any opinions or advice you have, given the other subjects I’m taking, perhaps, experience and just general knowledge!

So: Why did I consider Geography at all?

Spoiler

Anyways that’s it I think?

Opinions much appreciated!! I like German and Geography basically the same, so this is a really difficult decision I’d appreciate input on!

Okay well this is getting really long, so I’ll cut it off there, but I hope you guys feel well updated! Thanks for reading, thanks for listening, thanks for sticking around with me, and see you in the next post (which I promise won’t be next year lol) <3 Let me know if you have any questions or if there’s anything I missed!!

Spoiler

Congrats on everything so far, I think keeping this blog has worked out well!

I remember my geography teacher saying geography is a facilitating subject, and it was just a load of ‘common sense’. but I agree with you on the questions. They can be unpredictable. I remember opening my mock paper and the first question was - Define an extreme weather hazard. Everyone was baffled by it 😂

But with German you can definitely get as many benefits - I think knowing a different language puts you at a better position in the career industry too. Also I can’t believe you can go on that exchange! Sounds so fun even though I could never deal with kids 😂

And obviously if you feel you’re missing out on Geography, get talking with a friend who might take it and you could help them revise whilst they teach you what they’ve learnt, or see if there is a Geography Club or Society in 6th form, or just learn about the world in your own time.
Reply 94
Original post by 3ggfriedrice
Congrats on everything so far, I think keeping this blog has worked out well!

I remember my geography teacher saying geography is a facilitating subject, and it was just a load of ‘common sense’. but I agree with you on the questions. They can be unpredictable. I remember opening my mock paper and the first question was - Define an extreme weather hazard. Everyone was baffled by it 😂

But with German you can definitely get as many benefits - I think knowing a different language puts you at a better position in the career industry too. Also I can’t believe you can go on that exchange! Sounds so fun even though I could never deal with kids 😂

And obviously if you feel you’re missing out on Geography, get talking with a friend who might take it and you could help them revise whilst they teach you what they’ve learnt, or see if there is a Geography Club or Society in 6th form, or just learn about the world in your own time.

hello!!! thank you so much!<3 while I haven't been incredibly consistent with this blog, it means a lot that you think I've done well! obviously, I've got a lot coming up in the next few months, but I'm really going to try and keep you guys in the loop! :crossedf:

and thanks so much for validating my subject choice between german and geography:smile: it was causing me so much stress and even after submitting my choices, I kept thinking I'd made the wrong choice. many have said that geography is a "facilitating" subject, and so I thought it'd be useful to have as an a-level, but as you said, I'm free to learn about the world at my own pace. Now, while I tried not to avoid this, I think I may drop German and change it to Geography (which isn't a problem as I'm returning to my school for sixth form and when I asked, they said it was okay!), but I still have ti think about it a bit more.
Reply 95
Attachment not found

Weekly Big Update (Every Sunday but not on Sunday because when have I ever committed to writing this on Sundays)

hey guys!!! it's been a few weeks since my last update and I feel a big update is overdue just catching you up on some bits, so here goes!

(p.s. obviously, Sunday (when these updates are actually supposed to happen) is in two days, so there's no need for me to do a big update then as well, so I'll just make sure I cover everything - right here, right now - and when I make goals, later on in the update, they'll be for next week! :smile:

A-Level Subjects
guess. what?
guess. what?
guess. what?
GUESS WHAT???? :argh:

Spoiler

I know, I can't believe it either lol.

ME??? I??? POSSIBLY THE WORLD'S MOST INDECISIVE PERSON TO EXIST. EVER. lol.
For the first few moments after I clicked 'submit', my heart dropped and I felt like my life was ending :afraid:, and then something clicked and instead, I just felt really relieved - relieved that I had taken this next step in my life I had feared so much (that sounds so deep and existential sorry lol), relieved it was easier than I thought it would be, relieved I didn't have to stress about this anymore :u:

I ended up choosing:

Spoiler

Now, I do have regrets about picking german over geography now, because:

Spoiler

It's okay though because I'm staying at my secondary school for sixth, and so they're allowing me to change it if I'd like :smile: I'll think about it a bit more though!

okat I'm a bit tired of writing now lol so ill be back to finish this later!! MWAH <3

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
Attachment not found

Weekly Big Update (Every Sunday but not on Sunday because when have I ever committed to writing this on Sundays)

hey guys!!! it's been a few weeks since my last update and I feel a big update is overdue just catching you up on some bits, so here goes!

(p.s. obviously, Sunday (when these updates are actually supposed to happen) is in two days, so there's no need for me to do a big update then as well, so I'll just make sure I cover everything - right here, right now - and when I make goals, later on in the update, they'll be for next week! :smile:

A-Level Subjects
guess. what?
guess. what?
guess. what?
GUESS WHAT???? :argh:

Spoiler

I know, I can't believe it either lol.

ME??? I??? POSSIBLY THE WORLD'S MOST INDECISIVE PERSON TO EXIST. EVER. lol.
For the first few moments after I clicked 'submit', my heart dropped and I felt like my life was ending :afraid:, and then something clicked and instead, I just felt really relieved - relieved that I had taken this next step in my life I had feared so much (that sounds so deep and existential sorry lol), relieved it was easier than I thought it would be, relieved I didn't have to stress about this anymore :u:

I ended up choosing:

Spoiler

Now, I do have regrets about picking german over geography now, because:

Spoiler

It's okay though because I'm staying at my secondary school for sixth, and so they're allowing me to change it if I'd like :smile: I'll think about it a bit more though!

okat I'm a bit tired of writing now lol so ill be back to finish this later!! MWAH <3

Spoiler

well done for picking your a-levels bestiiii
Reply 97
Original post by nikkiblonsky
well done for picking your a-levels bestiiii

thank you babe!!!! <3 :dancing:my indecisiveness made the whole process a lot longer than I needed to be, but I'm so glad it's done!!! are you in year 11, and if yes, have you decided what you're doing post-16? :smile: sixth form? college? and what subject/s? i'd love to know!
Reply 98
quick brain-fuzzy update because it's sooo late, I start school again tomorrow *vomits* and I'm meant to be sleeping rn

HELLO HI so this post is going to be in absolute shambleS and not clear at all because THE HALF TERM IS OVER???? SCHOOL STARTS TOMORROW???? WHICH I DON'T THINK I'VE PROCESSED????? AND THIS SUDDEN REALISATION HAS SPIRALLED ME INTO ALL 5 STAGES OF GRIEF???? AND I HAVE SO MUCH HOMEWORK???? AND I'M CURRENTLY TYPING FEROCIOUSLY AT MY KEYBOARD TRYING TO GET THIS DONE????? AND I'M SO OVERWHELMED????? AND I CURRENTLY HATE HATE HATE MYSELF FOR DOING WHAT I ALWAYS DO WHICH IS LEAVING STUFF TILL LAST MINUTE????? HAVE I NOT LEARNED????? OBVIOSULY FRICKING NOT???? I HAD A WHOLE WEEK TO BE PRODUCTIVE AND REVISE AND GET STUFF DONE????? AND I DID NISH????? OH MG GOD IM KINDA OF LOSING IT RN LOLZ????? MOCKS BEGIN IN A WEEK???? YEAH..... DID I MENTION MOCKS R IN A WEEK????? I'VE DONE ZERO REVISION...... YEMISI. YOUR GCSES ARE IN 3 MONTHS OH MY GOSJH PULLIT TOGETHR?????

idk I'm just really disappointed in myself right now. i want to be productive. i want to enjoy my studies. i want the next few months to be as stress-free as they can when you've got really really really important exams coming up. and despite that, I just can't do it. now I'm sitting on my bed staring at my smhw (show my homework) in absolute fear and disgust. how am I gonna pull this off this time?

honestly, I'm super bummed out right now and so so so ANNOYED AT MYSELF so I'm going to bullet point some important bits, and elaborate on them when I can:sadnod:

OKAY:

half term just finsihed

I didn't do any revision or homework like I had planned

mocks start next week.......

exam changes were announced before half term

I've got some.... thoughts on that

both good and bad

which I'll elaborate on in a later post

I'm making some changes to how I revise

I'll update you on those later too <3

I've found a really good revision timetable technique I want to share with you guys because before I expressed how "normal" revision timetables didn't work for me

will also elaborate on later

remember comedy of errors?

the school play i'm one of the main characters in?

that I've been doing rehearsals for since October....

and has caused me sooo much stress....

and learning lines for has taken up so much of my time?

it's on wednesday.

and thurdsay.

i have two performances.

i'm terrfied.

oh also i have to finish writing a play I've been working before tuesday....

because the first draft is getting feedback from a PROFESSIONAL PLAYWRIGHT???

as part of a national theatre programme for young playwriters called 'new views'

so alongside stressing about mocks.....

.... which I won't have time to revise for because of afterschool rehearsals like every day this week for the school play.....

i have to stress about this performance.

and writing a play.

and about general pieces of hoemwork.

life is great

*googles how to disappear*

anyways, I've got to go, but pleaseeeeee if you have any advice or kind words or motivational words (or even scolding/disappointed words because I deserve it to be honest lol) it'd be much appreciated <3333 I really really really need to get myself out of this cycle of self-destruction because my gcses are approaching and i'm losing time I'll never get back and i'm stressing out :/ okay goodnight MWAH MWAH MWAH

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
quick brain-fuzzy update because it's sooo late, i start school again tomorrow *vomits* and i'm meant to be sleeping rn

hello hi so this post is going to be in absolute shambles and not clear at all because the half term is over???? School starts tomorrow???? Which i don't think i've processed????? And this sudden realisation has spiralled me into all 5 stages of grief???? And i have so much homework???? And i'm currently typing ferociously at my keyboard trying to get this done????? And i'm so overwhelmed????? And i currently hate hate hate myself for doing what i always do which is leaving stuff till last minute????? Have i not learned????? Obviosuly fricking not???? I had a whole week to be productive and revise and get stuff done????? And i did nish????? Oh mg god im kinda of losing it rn lolz????? Mocks begin in a week???? Yeah..... Did i mention mocks r in a week????? I've done zero revision...... Yemisi. Your gcses are in 3 months oh my gosjh pullit togethr?????

Idk i'm just really disappointed in myself right now. I want to be productive. I want to enjoy my studies. I want the next few months to be as stress-free as they can when you've got really really really important exams coming up. And despite that, i just can't do it. Now i'm sitting on my bed staring at my smhw (show my homework) in absolute fear and disgust. How am i gonna pull this off this time?

Honestly, i'm super bummed out right now and so so so annoyed at myself so i'm going to bullet point some important bits, and elaborate on them when i can:sadnod:

okay:

half term just finsihed

i didn't do any revision or homework like i had planned

mocks start next week.......

exam changes were announced before half term

i've got some.... Thoughts on that

both good and bad

which i'll elaborate on in a later post

i'm making some changes to how i revise

i'll update you on those later too <3

i've found a really good revision timetable technique i want to share with you guys because before i expressed how "normal" revision timetables didn't work for me

will also elaborate on later

remember comedy of errors?

the school play i'm one of the main characters in?

that i've been doing rehearsals for since october....

and has caused me sooo much stress....

and learning lines for has taken so much of time for?

it's on wednesday.

and thurdsay.

i have two performances.

i'm terrfied.

oh also i have to finish writing a play i've been working before tuesday....

because the first draft is getting feedback from a professional playwright???

as part of a national theatre programme for young playwriters called 'new views'

so alongside stressing about mocks.....

.... Which i won't have time to revise for because of afterschool rehearsals like every day this week for the school play.....

i have to stress about this performance.

and writing a play.

and about general pieces of hoemwork.

life is great

*googles how to disappear*

anyways, i've got to go, but pleaseeeeee if you have any advice or kind words or motivational words (or even scolding/disappointed words because i deserve it to be honest lol) it'd be much appreciated <3333 i really really really need to get myself out of this cycle of self-destruction because my gcses are approaching and i'm losing time i'll never get back and i'm stressing out :/ okay goodnight mwah mwah mwah

if you'd like to be sent a notification every time i create another post, let me know, and i'll tag/quote you below!

Spoiler

gurll youve got this, also the point of a half term is technically to have a break so dw bestiii

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending