beryllium with water - no oxide? Watch

This discussion is closed.
ryan750
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I seem to have in my notes that beryllium does not make an oxide (or hydroxide) with water. Then i have amphoteric written beside it. Is this the reason why it doesn't form an oxide in water. I know that its oxide formed by heating beryllium in excess oxygen is amphoteric.

Sum1 please explain. Firstly does it react in water to form any beryllium compounds. Then i need to explain why it does what it does.
ShOcKzZ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ryan750)
I seem to have in my notes that beryllium does not make an oxide (or hydroxide) with water. Then i have amphoteric written beside it. Is this the reason why it doesn't form an oxide in water. I know that its oxide formed by heating beryllium in excess oxygen is amphoteric.

Sum1 please explain. Firstly does it react in water to form any beryllium compounds. Then i need to explain why it does what it does.
Hey, its been a while since i did A-level Chemistry so please check this over as i may have forgotten.

But from what i remember, Be can not react with water because it is a very stable element. Top of group 2 - Be2+ ions have a high charge density since they are very small. Beryllium's outer electron is very strongly attracted by the positive charge of the nucleus (as there is not much shielding, and the atomic radius is small) so it doesn't react much.

About the amphoteric charachter..i think it Be(OH)2 that dissolves in both HCL and NaOH:

Be(OH)2 + 2NaOH --> Na2Be(OH)4
Be(OH)2 + 2HCL --> BeCl2 + 2H2O
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?