somethings wrong but idk

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
somethings wrong with me mentally, but idk what it is. I’m scared to go to my GP because what if they don’t take me serious?

I feel like this issue comes and goes and it’s frustrating. Idk how to word my thoughts and i just feel heavy a lot. But then at the same time i keep thinking “maybe i’m faking it, maybe this is normal, maybe i’m making excuses for myself”

idk what to do. Like i don’t think it’s depression but maybe it is??? Idk man there’s like one week where i’m happy with life and then the rest of the weeks is just me being pessimistic and just negative and so many other negative things.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
hey i think u should speak to ur gp urgently
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hey i think u should speak to ur gp urgently
do you think it’s an urgent issue? i feel like since it goes and comes it’s not important. I know that’s wrong to think but i feel like my issue might be invalidated or something ugh idk man
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Want to say I completely relate to your situation of "well it's fine sometimes so i'm faking it." Thing is, even if you're not feeling this down/heavy feeling all the time, if you're feeling it frequently/significantly enough that it's affecting your life in these periods then go to the GP. I put it off for so long and everything just got a lot, lot worse.
Worst case the GP says go away, but that doesn't necessarily mean nothing is wrong, it can't hurt you to talk about it. And yeah, I'd say it's fairly urgent in the sense that you shouldn't muck around with your health.
If they do invalidate your issues you can always try a different GP, also recommend making a mood diary, that's what I kept getting told. It can help you see if there are any pattersn or anything and work out how long things are lasting for. Just because it's cyclical it does NOT mean it's not important.
lucyyy12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
make an appointment and keep a journal of how you’re feeling and why to see if there’s a pattern.
don’t wait until it’s breaking point <3
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
thank you all for the advice and comments in general🤍. I ended up making a GP appointment, and i told them how i matched a lot of the symptoms to bipolar. Long story short I was told that people with bipolar aren’t aware of their actions much and what i’m feeling is normal for teenagers i guess (the GP was pretty nice about it). I guess i’ll just have to find my own way since there’s no way i’m speaking to my school or my family about it. Guess it gets worse before it gets better (hopefully anyways)
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
thank you all for the advice and comments in general🤍. I ended up making a GP appointment, and i told them how i matched a lot of the symptoms to bipolar. Long story short I was told that people with bipolar aren’t aware of their actions much and what i’m feeling is normal for teenagers i guess (the GP was pretty nice about it). I guess i’ll just have to find my own way since there’s no way i’m speaking to my school or my family about it. Guess it gets worse before it gets better (hopefully anyways)
your doctor is insane. people with bipolar 'aren't aware of their actions much?' that's utter bull. i don't think your symptoms suggest your bipolar.
but your doctor sounds pretty dismissive. maybe try talking to your school counselor. or a different doctor
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
your doctor is insane. people with bipolar 'aren't aware of their actions much?' that's utter bull. i don't think your symptoms suggest your bipolar.
but your doctor sounds pretty dismissive. maybe try talking to your school counselor. or a different doctor
oh, i didn’t even realize that. Man idk, can’t lie i feel embarrassed and I don’t wanna go back to the GP, like this is my second time bringing it up and it was to a different doctor. Apparently the school counsellor is sh*t as well according to my friends who do go to them. Sad because i’m the biggest advocate for others getting mental health help and I can’t even do it myself lol. Oh well, ill just wait till i’m 18 so then i perhaps could go to a private therapist
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
oh, i didn’t even realize that. Man idk, can’t lie i feel embarrassed and I don’t wanna go back to the GP, like this is my second time bringing it up and it was to a different doctor. Apparently the school counsellor is sh*t as well accor
ding to my friends who do go to them. Sad because i’m the biggest advocate for others getting mental health help and I can’t even do it myself lol. Oh well, ill just wait till i’m 18 so then i perhaps could go to a private therapist
gp doctors can be pretty useless when it comes to mental health
once you're 18 you can refer yourself if you still feel like you could benefit from therapy https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/fi...apies-service/
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
gp doctors can be pretty useless when it comes to mental health
once you're 18 you can refer yourself if you still feel like you could benefit from therapy https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/fi...apies-service/
thank you, much appreciated! I’ve seen that link so many times i’ve basically got it saved in my head lmao
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When I first went to the GP about mental health problems, he told me I just had "teenage hormones". This put me off getting help for a long time. Don't let your doctor's dismissive attitude prevent you getting help. If there's something wrong and you need help then keep trying - I know it feels like he fobbed you off and nothing is wrong but you should keep pushing.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
somethings wrong with me mentally, but idk what it is. I’m scared to go to my GP because what if they don’t take me serious?
Be assertive about your concerns and doctors and everyone else will take you more seriously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads