The Student Room Group

I want to find a partner

I'm sure you can see from the title that I think I'm ready for a relationship. I just don't know how to meet people these days. I've tried online dating and it's full of weirdo's, either that or they're just not my type at all. In the past I've settled for less and its always ended with me getting my feelings hurt so I really think I should focus on the qualities I really like in a man. What's the best way to meet someone? Does anyone have stories about how they met their S/O? I'd love to hear them!
While I am still looking for a partner as well, Are their certain traits or something you want in a person?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Yes definitely, I want someone who is open and honest, has family values, is respectful (not just to me but to everyone) and loyal... loyalty is huge to me because I've not been so lucky in thay area in the past. I really need someone to be sure about me and willing to commit
First organise your dealbreakers and relationship preferences into a list.
Establish at least 10 dealbreakers that you know you want in any partner and 5 things that you absolutely don't want.
Include looks, body shape, height, weight, job, diet, income, nationality, religion, sexual orientation and anything else that plays a major part in your attraction & relationship preferences.
Even your list includes something that you wouldn't feel comfortable discussing with your closest friend or ever admitting to.

Then focus on was to meet the guys that are most compatible with your dealbreakers and maximise your chances of complying with their dealbreakers.
Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Yes definitely, I want someone who is open and honest, has family values, is respectful (not just to me but to everyone) and loyal... loyalty is huge to me because I've not been so lucky in thay area in the past. I really need someone to be sure about me and willing to commit

Those are all great traits! :smile:
Reply 5
Go to places and do activities where you might meet like-minded people, or get together with friends and ask them to bring along others to widen your social circle.

Stop worrying about when you might get into a relationship and just let life happen; you may meet someone, but don't focus on that to the exclusion of your own contentment.

I met my boyfriend at work; had just started a new job, wasn't looking to be in a relationship, literally bumped into each other when we got in a mess with a swing door, got talking, had out first date 4 days later. We're a bit chalk and cheese when it comes to dating history and our hobbies; take from that don't compromise on personal qualities, but don't be too hung up on other aspects where you think you may not be compatible. I've said if my boyfriend and I had written dating profiles and read each others we'd not have got together!
Reply 6
I'm definitely not thinking about it too much, but I do want it to happen for me in the next few years or so, there's things I want in life, one of them being marriage ... another being a family. So I need to get cracking haha. As for friends I don't really have any if I honest. My closest circle of friends ditched me a few years ago for their boyfriends and it's been difficult to get back to where we once were, I'm just not that important to them anymore... which is a shame but that's life. & awweee! that's so sweet! I love hearing about relationships that happen authentically. There's honestly no better way! I'll defo try and get out more (perhaps when his pandemic decides to vanish haha)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm definitely not thinking about it too much, but I do want it to happen for me in the next few years or so, there's things I want in life, one of them being marriage ... another being a family. So I need to get cracking haha. As for friends I don't really have any if I honest. My closest circle of friends ditched me a few years ago for their boyfriends and it's been difficult to get back to where we once were, I'm just not that important to them anymore... which is a shame but that's life. & awweee! that's so sweet! I love hearing about relationships that happen authentically. There's honestly no better way! I'll defo try and get out more (perhaps when his pandemic decides to vanish haha)

Whatever works for you, Do not worry about it :h::yep:
If you're in your early 20s, you don't have to give up, because you'll be more likely to find someone who fits the bill for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending