sea_ox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, this is my first post. I would like to study music in some form, but I can't currently decide between doing a degree in music or a joint degree in maths and music. The issue is that not many universities offer joint degrees in these subjects, and if I choose to do music instead I could go to a higher ranking university (ie oxbridge).
I would love to be able to go to oxbridge, but I am still passionate about maths and would like to keep my options open.
Advice?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I was in the same position as you; I was deiciding between just music or music with politics/econ/maths. I choose to go for just music at the best uni I could get as I was far more passionate about it than the aforementioned subjects and then do a law or finance conversion after uni as I don’t think I want a career in music. This worked out pretty well for me as I got into Oxford. I think you have to deicide which subject you’re most passionate about because if you start a joint honours degree but you’re not that interested in maths you’re not going to have a good uni experience. Having said that if you are genuinely interested in the maths and you want to do music with a subject that has a little more real world application and cv appeal I believe Durham offers music and econ and universities like econ students that do maths a level. Hope this helps.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hiya! Just wondering what it is that draws you to wanting to study a music degree in particular? Oxford and Cambridge's music courses are very academic and you'd be writing a lot of essays all the time: is that something that appeals to you? Oxbridge isn't the be-all-and-end-all and it's more important to go for a course that suits you, rather than shoehorning yourself because of some childhood/teenage Oxbridge ambition. If you see what I mean?

Just wondering whether the academic side appeals because, if it's just that you want to keep music performance going at a high level, you could apply for maths degrees and do lots of extra-curricular music on the side?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
87.32%
No (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads