Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I just moved into the university of Sussex after a gap year. Unfortunately I’ve been put into an accommodation for 10 people but it seems like there’s only 3 of us and the other 2 are on top of me so I’m alone on my floor. I haven’t seen those 2 leave their rooms or even in the kitchen besides from the first day so I’m guessing they’re introverts or always outside. I wanna go out to clubs and bars and meet new people but everyone has their own groups and flat mates they go out with and I don’t want to join and make it awkward, what do I do?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you tell people that no one else has moved into your flat yet and ask if you can tag along with their group then they won’t mind.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just moved into the university of Sussex after a gap year. Unfortunately I’ve been put into an accommodation for 10 people but it seems like there’s only 3 of us and the other 2 are on top of me so I’m alone on my floor. I haven’t seen those 2 leave their rooms or even in the kitchen besides from the first day so I’m guessing they’re introverts or always outside. I wanna go out to clubs and bars and meet new people but everyone has their own groups and flat mates they go out with and I don’t want to join and make it awkward, what do I do?
Hey there,

Meeting new people can be tough, but at university most people are looking to do exactly that. I'm sure that if you ask anyone you know if you can tag along, or even invite them somewhere, things will naturally progress from there.

Wth university starting soon you'll be able to meet new people via your course as well as societies. Both of these are great ways to meet some like-minded people. At the end of the day, you'll have something in common with everyone you meet: you both are interested in the same course, or the same interest that the society is built around. That'll help break the ice, and I'm sure you'll have a group of people that you know and can hang out with soon!

I'd also keep an eye out for any social events that are running before term. Often, universities will run meet & greets, coffee chats and other fun activities so that you can get to know different people. Your halls of residence may also run events like these, and I'd definitely suggest that you go.

Hope this helps!
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (243)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (55)
13.03%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
10.9%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.53%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.27%

Watched Threads