rxrx2004
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
why does pv= constant WHEN TEMPERATURE IS CONSTANT?
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If I’m not mistaken, wouldn’t it be volume is inversely proportional to pressure. Because as you increase volume in a container, the gas pressure would consequently decrease.

Gas pressure is like the colliding particles which causes a force which act at right angles to the walls of the gas container.

Is this GCSE? I recall it from GCSE Physics content.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 3 weeks ago
rxrx2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
If I’m not mistaken, wouldn’t it be volume is inversely proportional to pressure. Because as you increase volume in a container, the gas pressure would consequently decrease.

Gas pressure is like the colliding particles which causes a force which act at right angles to the walls of the gas container.

Is this GCSE? I recall it from GCSE Physics content.
it's a level, and it's the same thing. pV=K is the same as p=K/V so yes they are inversely proptional.

but why does temperature have to be constant?
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rxrx2004)
it's a level, and it's the same thing. pV=K is the same as p=K/V so yes they are inversely proptional.

but why does temperature have to be constant?

Well, using my gcse knowledge right...

I recall temperature having an effect on the collision of the particles, so it’s more frequent. I feel likes it because if you increase the temperature, the particles collide more frequently with the walls of the container as they have more kinetic energy. Therefore, the volume would no longer be directly inversely proportional to pressure. So it must be kept constant.

Check your text book?
rxrx2004
Rep:
?
Well, using my gcse knowledge right...

I recall temperature having an effect on the collision of the particles, so it’s more frequent. I feel likes it because if you increase the temperature, the particles collide more frequently with the walls of the container as they have more kinetic energy. Therefore, the volume would no longer be directly inversely proportional to pressure. So it must be kept constant.

Check your text book?
thanks
it wasn't in my textbook but i remember it now
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rxrx2004)
why does pv= constant WHEN TEMPERATURE IS CONSTANT?
If the volume is constant to the temperature, so the pressure is it too:

p ~ T and V ~ T

becasue it means in turn that the volume depends on the pressure and vice versa, they are indirect proportional to each other: p ~ 1/V. The volume gets reduced the higher the pressure is.

In reference to the particle theory it means that an increasing temperature makes the particles faster to collide with the walls of the container and each other more frequently. An increased pressure would reduced the volume of the container, the frequency of collisions for particles gets higher by increased temperature then.

In a constant volume work (p*V) for a container and a constant temperature, the numbers of collision did not change and that is the meaning in this equation:

p*V = constant, if T = constant.
Last edited by Kallisto; 3 weeks ago
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
If the volume is constant to the temperature, so the pressure is it too:

p ~ T and V ~ T

becasue it means in turn that the volume depends on the pressure and vice versa, they are indirect proportional to each other: p ~ 1/V. The volume gets reduced the higher the pressure is.

In reference to the particle theory it means that an increasing temperature makes the particles faster to collide with the walls of the container and each other more frequently. An increased pressure would reduced the volume of the container, the frequency of collisions for particles gets higher by increased temperature then.

In a constant volume work (p*V) for a container and a constant temperature, the numbers of collision did not change and that is the meaning in this equation:

p*V = constant, if T = constant.

Out of curiosity, I didn’t do A level physics, can you explain what that means?

As in you increase the number of particles meaning smaller volume? I think you’ve phrased it wrong.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The equation applies when you have a fixed number of gas molecules.

e.g. if you seal a fixed mass of gas and therefore a fixed number of gas molecules in a cylinder and change the volume of the gas by pushing a piston into the cylinder that seals against the cylinder sides. if you keep the temperature of the gas constant and you measure the pressure at different volumes what you find is that PV is constant.

what's happening is gas pressure comes from gas molecules having elastic collisions with the sides of the cylinder - higher number of collisions per second means higher pressure

that as the volume of the constant mass of gas is reduced the molecules are packed into less volume and collide with the cylinder walls more frequently.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Out of curiosity, I didn’t do A level physics, can you explain what that means?

As in you increase the number of particles meaning smaller volume? I think you’ve phrased it wrong.
It is about a container with a piston: in the container there is a certain (and say constant) number of particles. When I depress the piston, the volume is smaller, the particles have lesser space to move around. IF the temperature is constant, the speed of particles doesn't change, but IF the temperature is increased (not constant!), the speed of particles is faster. In contrast to that, the collision with the walls of the container and the particles themselves is more frequent: there are more particles per unit now (lesser space for the same numbers of gas particles).

In other words: The collision and pressure increases, the volume decreases, the speed of particles is constant (at constant temperature).
Last edited by Kallisto; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads