Manan729
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I just started the A level course choosing maths physics economics and geography. I aspire to become an aerospace engineer dreaming to study at imperial college london. Can I have any advice which will help me? Do I need work experience what grades will I need to achieve how I can achieve those grades any volunteering I should do do I drop a subject etc
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Manan729)
Hi I just started the A level course choosing maths physics economics and geography. I aspire to become an aerospace engineer dreaming to study at imperial college london. Can I have any advice which will help me? Do I need work experience what grades will I need to achieve how I can achieve those grades any volunteering I should do do I drop a subject etc
Just keep on top of revision, I slipped up on that and it really messed me up, most places don't really mind about work experience but you got to sell yourself in your personal statement. It's worth trying to get something you can talk about and which will make you stand out.
Manan729
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What do you think will make me stand out compared to any other people applying should I do something now in year 12 or can I wait? Because I don’t want to leave it last second but then again I don’t want to rush it. And if your grades are for instance A* A A bit you attend a grammar school will unis look that you go to a grammar school? Because the entry requirements right now are two A stars and an A bit if you only get one A star will it be impossible to get into imperial or any of the other top unis
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can find the grades you need on the website. It would be best if you swapped one of your A-levels for further maths, as you will be doing a lot of maths in the course and they do recommend that you take it. You don't need work experience.

What do you think will make me stand out compared to any other people applying should I do something now in year 12 or can I wait? Because I don’t want to leave it last second but then again I don’t want to rush it. And if your grades are for instance A* A A bit you attend a grammar school will unis look that you go to a grammar school? Because the entry requirements right now are two A stars and an A bit if you only get one A star will it be impossible to get into imperial or any of the other top unis
I wouldn't start writing the personal statement any earlier than next summer. The personal statement is where you write why you want to study that course, and how you show your interest in it. So think about how you can show your interest in it. Work experience is one way of doing that. So are taster sessions, books, public lectures, personal projects, school clubs, etc.

If the entry requirements are A*A*A, then you need A*A*A... does aeronautics still have the alternative 4 A-level offer? check the course page.

Unis may look at your grades in the context of the school you go to, as well as other factors such as if you come from an area where very few people go to uni.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
take further maths for starters as it will heavily increase your chances. . And yes your grades are contextualised within your school but that's more for GCSE's than A-levels so don't worry about it. If you don't meat the requirement which is A*A*A or A*AAA then you cannot get a place. Other top unis have lower requirement (i.e A*AA) so it's very much possible to get in their.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just keep on top of revision, I slipped up on that and it really messed me up, most places don't really mind about work experience but you got to sell yourself in your personal statement. It's worth trying to get something you can talk about and which will make you stand out.
(Original post by Anonymous)
take further maths for starters as it will heavily increase your chances. . And yes your grades are contextualised within your school but that's more for GCSE's than A-levels so don't worry about it. If you don't meat the requirement which is A*A*A or A*AAA then you cannot get a place. Other top unis have lower requirement (i.e A*AA) so it's very much possible to get in their.
Please only use the anonymous function when it's actually necessary - this isn't one of those times.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
86.71%
No (19)
13.29%

Watched Threads