elephant3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I was lucky enough to get offers from both Cambridge and Imperial this year to study Medicine. I went off prestige (although both are extremely prestigious) and picked Cambridge even though I knew in my gut that it wasn't for me. I'm starting university soon and I really regret giving up a social life just for Oxbridge as I feel like for Medicine especially, your university really doesn't matter. I love London and could have been living there for the next 6 years and find Cambridge slightly boring and a bit too tame. I've heard freshers' week at Cambridge is different to other universities and I'm upset that I might be missing out on the classic 'university experience'. Imperial has balls, events, etc just as Cambridge does and from what I've heard, the course is also slightly less challenging giving more time for students to have a social life. I've also heard that living in college is a bit like a boarding school and I really crave the independence that my friends at other unis get (I took a gap year so all my school friends are already at university). I'm worried I'll miss out on the small things like house parties and clubbing at Cambridge too. I am so upset over this even though I'm so lucky to be going to such a great uni I just feel like I've made a massive mistake that I'll regret forever. University is a special time that I will never get back and I'll be there for the next 6 years for Medicine. I would've happily transferred for clinical school if that were still an option, however Cambridge stopped sending their students to London for 4th/5th/6th year after 2017 so I'm stuck for the duration of the course now. Should I take another gap year and reapply to London unis or should I stick it out for 6 years and hope for the best? Does a Cambridge degree really give you any advantage over a degree from Imperial which is arguably equally as prestigious? Idk what to do...
Advertisement
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your goal from a medicine degree should really be to become a doctor. Risking your offer in order to go to slightly better parties hardly seems a sensible decision with that goal in mind.
elephant3
Rep:
?
bump
elephant3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Your goal from a medicine degree should really be to become a doctor. Risking your offer in order to go to slightly better parties hardly seems a sensible decision with that goal in mind.
Thanks, this was really sound advice. It doesn't make me feel much better about my situation, I still regret choosing Cambridge over Imperial but I think you're right and I won't drop out.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elephant3)
Thanks, this was really sound advice. It doesn't make me feel much better about my situation, I still regret choosing Cambridge over Imperial but I think you're right and I won't drop out.
You should also know that Cambridge don't require you to live in college accommodation (and a lot of college accommodation, depending on your college, is actually out of college) so you can still have the same independence in later years if you choose to.
Advertisement
MilkyWay_236
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally I don't think u should take another gap year, esp since ur doing medicine so ur just adding another year on to it. I say stick it out :P
Typhoons
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No definitely don’t take another Gap year. No guarantee that you will get an offer again. And no going to Cambridge or Imperial it doesn’t give you an advantage over anyone else, In fact for medicine where weighting for your first jobs are to a certain extent dependent on your performance against your cohort in your own medical school, going somewhere less competitive may be advantageous.
Advertisement
Tammie2345524
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I assume you've already begun freshers week so this is probably useless advice now, but you're definitely not going to miss out on clubbing at Cambridge. Some of the people living on my floor have gone out pretty much every night since we arrived. One night they started having a party in the hallway (that was an absolute nightmare). Sometimes they come back, hammered, at 3am.

The most intense courses are supposed to be natsci and medicine - I do bio natsci and, having spoken to my college parent, it seems that if you manage your time well you can treat it like a 9-5 job and have evenings off if you wish. So I'd expect it to be a similar story for medicine.
Even if you do live in halls for your entire degree (which you don't have to do), what freedoms do you lose? You can leave the building whenever, there's no one patrolling the halls at night, no curfew and you get your rooms cleaned once a week. "Boarding school" makes it sound like you expected there to be teachers walking around making sure we're all in bed by 10pm lol.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Tammie2345524)
I assume you've already begun freshers week so this is probably useless advice now, but you're definitely not going to miss out on clubbing at Cambridge. Some of the people living on my floor have gone out pretty much every night since we arrived. One night they started having a party in the hallway (that was an absolute nightmare). Sometimes they come back, hammered, at 3am.

The most intense courses are supposed to be natsci and medicine - I do bio natsci and, having spoken to my college parent, it seems that if you manage your time well you can treat it like a 9-5 job and have evenings off if you wish. So I'd expect it to be a similar story for medicine.
Even if you do live in halls for your entire degree (which you don't have to do), what freedoms do you lose? You can leave the building whenever, there's no one patrolling the halls at night, no curfew and you get your rooms cleaned once a week. "Boarding school" makes it sound like you expected there to be teachers walking around making sure we're all in bed by 10pm lol.
Yeah, having arrived about a week ago I don't think anyone needs to be concerned about the amount of clubbing here :lol:
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (92)
86.79%
No (14)
13.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed