radnor38
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
Im unsure how to start my personal statement for psychology , im not sure of any eye-catching starter, to bring the reader into it?
Any help is appreciated!!
ughexams123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have personally used this general structure

-General introduction - opening line, what course you want to do, what you have studied at A-level, expand on why you liked psychology in particular. DO NOT USE 'I have wanted to be a psychologist etc. since I was...'. This is the most cliché opening line and you didn't want to be a psychologist/psychiatrist etc. at two years old. Try and make it catchy, perhaps use something like a case study that initially piqued your interest in the subject. There is lots of examples on the internet (but obviously don't copy).

-Specific interests - expand on your interests in psychology. I don't personally study it but I'm sure you can pick out certain things you've liked and expand on what this has taught you

-Experience - this is very important! Try and include some super curriculars/part time work/DofE/clubs/summer schools and so on. Make sure you develop why these make you a good candidate for university.

-Hobbies and future plans - This should make up a very small part of your personal statement. Make sure your hobbies are appropriate and not something like 'I like watching TV'. Sports is always a good one, and you can expand on being captain etc. and litter more of your skills into this section. Future plans often show you have thought about your pathway from Uni and beyond, showing that you are a passionate student.

-Closing statement - this is just the final part of your personal statement. Very brief, only a couple of sentences. Just finish off by saying you're excited by the amount of opportunities at uni, a bit more formal than that though.
Last edited by ughexams123; 4 weeks ago
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Check out this guide: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6213912
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (114)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.08%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads