pearllx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’m in year 13 and I don’t have long until I submit my personal statement and I haven’t really started it because I don’t know what to write, the thing I’m most worried about is writing about extra curricular and super curriculars because I haven’t done much. The only extra curricular I’ve done is work experience in spring pod but I wished I could add more like part time work (which I don’t do) or something else. Does anyone have any ideas or is it too late to engage in extra curriculars now?
ughexams123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The main thing to do when talking about these things is to expand on what they've taught you. Universities will more often appreciate a few super curriculars which have been expanded on, e.g this taught me resilience, determination, teamwork, rather than I've done *insert long list of activities*.

Have you ever done any sports or been a captain of something? DofE? EPQ? Even afterschool clubs would work (as long as they're relevant to the course).

I would honestly say don't worry too much about writing loads and loads of super curricular activities. Use the work experience and make sure you highlight the key skills that are necessary for uni/your course.
pearllx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ughexams123)
The main thing to do when talking about these things is to expand on what they've taught you. Universities will more often appreciate a few super curriculars which have been expanded on, e.g this taught me resilience, determination, teamwork, rather than I've done *insert long list of activities*.

Have you ever done any sports or been a captain of something? DofE? EPQ? Even afterschool clubs would work (as long as they're relevant to the course).

I would honestly say don't worry too much about writing loads and loads of super curricular activities. Use the work experience and make sure you highlight the key skills that are necessary for uni/your course.
Unfortunately no I haven’t done DofE. And I’m not doing epq because I decided to take another course, but thank you so much! Are there any other things I can get engaged with in the next few days/ weeks to add to my personal statement? (It’ll be about finance)
xoAimeeRosexo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pearllx)
So I’m in year 13 and I don’t have long until I submit my personal statement and I haven’t really started it because I don’t know what to write, the thing I’m most worried about is writing about extra curricular and super curriculars because I haven’t done much. The only extra curricular I’ve done is work experience in spring pod but I wished I could add more like part time work (which I don’t do) or something else. Does anyone have any ideas or is it too late to engage in extra curriculars now?
Quality over quantity. Work experience and volunteering are good if they are in an area you want to do or have given you skills related to what you want to study. If your work experience relates to your degree discuss the key skills (skills that are specific to the content e.g. reading graphs) and soft skills (general skills that are useful for most degrees with different content e.g. team working) you have received from it and relate it to your degree. If you really wanted to you could try to find online courses or contacting local places asking if they are looking for a volunteer for a few weeks. As much as having a lot of experiences can help you I would also say that just stating in your personal statement "I done duke of Edinburgh" when applying to something like law doesn't really make you stand out because law has nothing to do with camping unless you can find a way to link it into the course, and your statement is only around 500 words so doing that for multiple experiences can be quite difficult. My best advice would be to go onto university open days and ask what they look for in an applicant within their personal statement, I am applying to Paramedic Science and got some really good advice for personal statement from some open days that I went to.
Last edited by xoAimeeRosexo; 4 weeks ago
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unfortunately no I haven’t done DofE. And I’m not doing epq because I decided to take another course, but thank you so much! Are there any other things I can get engaged with in the next few days/ weeks to add to my personal statement? (It’ll be about finance)
Your PS should be focused on things related to your course that you have done, like extra reading, online courses, watching lectures or listening to podcasts and why they were interesting
ughexams123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unfortunately no I haven’t done DofE. And I’mR not doing epq because I decided to take another course, but thank you so much! Are there any other things I can get engaged with in the next few days/ weeks to add to my personal statement? (It’ll be about finance)
Reading is quite an easy good one. You can find some finance books, whether that be buy them from amazon, ebay etc. or just go to a library, then read them and talk about how they interested you and what you learnt that will be helpful at university. You could maybe try one of the 'A Very Short Introduction To...' books but I'm not really sure what to recommend for finance, not really my area.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (299)
57.28%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
14.18%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (44)
8.43%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.98%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.83%

Watched Threads