a level chem vs a level maths

Watch this thread
simplyikrah
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
help please
advise me on the subjects
Ahm_201
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
In my opinion, chemistry and biology (the sciences) are way more fun than most others because you do practicals and you apply your own researching skills. I am doing a level maths and chem now and I personally hate maths. It is not the same as gcse and it is a huge jump and very different to gcse maths (At least in my college). Bare in mind, a lot of colleges have different methods of teaching. If you are interested in maths and you actually did some revision in gcse, then go for math. If you like the practical aspect and like doing some sort of work/research and not just sitting all day doing maths, then go for chem.

The reason I hate/doing bad in maths is because in gcse i did no revision, when i come to the classroom, after the teacher explained something, i would immediately understand the whole topic and do really well. For a level maths, it isn't really the same. You need to actually do revision and learn the different methods ( in my college they dont only teach you one method because other students liked other methods) and just a hand full of equations (the hard equations are on the equation sheet, some easy ones you'll have to remember as they wont give it to you in an exam).

Another thing: if you end up choosing maths, do some revision during the summer holiday. Not only for maths but for all your other alevels. I was behind at the beginning of the year cos i didn't do revision/pre-work.

Hope that helped, and remember each college has different methods of teaching. You can always change/drop a subject if you dislike it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads