The Student Room Group

Law interviews at UCL

From what I understand UCL usually interviews all law applicants. However, it says on their website that overseas students and those who would have difficulty travelling to UCL may be exempted from interviews.

I can't find an email adress so I can't ask them directly, but do you guys think that my application would be severely disadvantaged if I say that I am unable to attend an interview? What would be a valid excuse for not being able to attend?
Reply 1
ElleMarja
From what I understand UCL usually interviews all law applicants. However, it says on their website that overseas students and those who would have difficulty travelling to UCL may be exempted from interviews.

I can't find an email adress so I can't ask them directly, but do you guys think that my application would be severely disadvantaged if I say that I am unable to attend an interview? What would be a valid excuse for not being able to attend?

They don't interview all applicants, they interview a minority of them from what I understand after talking to many people on my course about the applications process

They didn't interview me
a_t
They don't interview all applicants, they interview a minority of them from what I understand after talking to many people on my course about the applications process

They didn't interview me

Why do they only interview a minority of them?
Reply 3
SofinaaBabess
Why do they only interview a minority of them?

From the Law website

UCL

What about interviews?
We interview all UK mature applicants, most law with European Legal System candidates and all candidates identified as requiring particular consideration, to whom we are contemplating making an offer. Interview is by invitation only and we will contact you if the Faculty Tutor wishes to invite you for interview. Wherever possible we will give at least two weeks’ notice of an interview date, and of course if a date you are offered clashes with mock-exams or something equally important at school we will try to reschedule. All interviews take place here at Bentham House and usually last about 30 minutes.

If we are interviewing an applicant for one of the Law with another European Legal System programmes, part of the interview will be conducted in the relevant language.
a_t
From the Law website

Ohh, coool man.

x
Reply 5
a_t

They didn't interview me

Ok, thanks. Lets just hope they don't ask me then.
Reply 6
Hey, check out the word 'mature'. So no they wont interview you unless they're being picky over some candidates.
Reply 7
Today i got an interview from UCL for law.
The only "particular consideration" that could apply to me, is if I had a poor LNAT result..but I thought it went reasonably well :confused:
Zara_R
Today i got an interview from UCL for law.
The only "particular consideration" that could apply to me, is if I had a poor LNAT result..but I thought it went reasonably well :confused:

how much notice did they give you?
Reply 9
I received a letter yesterday, and the interview is on the 10th dec.
so if you've applied for Law with another legal system,
are you more likely to get interviewed?
Reply 11
a_t
From the Law website

I have applied to UCL and am a mature student, so as far as I understand I should be interviewed...???

Anyway, I was wandering if anyone on here has any experience of law interviews at UCL? Is it similar to those of Oxbridge, i.e. read a legal extract and answer questions on it after? Or does it take a simpler format then this?
Reply 12
eve_22
I have applied to UCL and am a mature student, so as far as I understand I should be interviewed...???

I assume so...
Reply 13
a_t
I assume so...

Would you happen to know anything more about the interviews? What format it usually takes?
Reply 14
eve_22
Would you happen to know anything more about the interviews? What format it usually takes?

Sorry no, I didn't have one
Original post by eve_22

Hi! I had an interview at UCL last year.... I had really good grades... but an averageish LNAT score... but from talking to some people on my course at the moment, they do interview some people, not the majority of people but you won't be the only ones interviewed!

Basically it's nothing to be too worried about at all! You can't prepare for it because, judging from what I was asked, it's rather random...

HOWEVER... saying that definitely read a good quality newspaper because chances are they will talk to you about current affairs and any legal issues, I was asked about organ donation, whether it should be made compulsory or not etc etc... and I was also set a scenario in a fictional world where different laws applied.

Good luck!!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
candle_holder
so if you've applied for Law with another legal system,
are you more likely to get interviewed?

From what I heard at open days, speaking to Adm tutors etc., they only interview borderline candidates (or as they put it, where the UCAS application doesn't give them enough info to decide whether you fit the requirements).

Also, I was told that for Law with European Studies, they interview you to assess your language skills, but it's not a law interview.

I applied for Law with Law Studies in Europe, and am still waiting for a reply :stupid:

Latest

Trending

Trending