Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
At my university, there is a guy I ve seen around quite a few times. Normally we just saw each other and passed. I'm not sure if he's a student or admin staff/GTA because he doesn't seem like he uses the library much. Nevertheless, he is definitely a member of the university.

Anyway, he has never bothered me until today. At first I felt like he was my long lost love who returned as he looked similar to him clean shaved but when I came closer, I saw that it was him. He was printing something and made eye contact with me then looked away. When I looked at him again, I saw him looking at me again.

I dont know but I felt a bit uneasy because the guy gives off strange vibes. I never noticed him with anyone else. I just saw him help out a Jewish man who was spat on by a racist a few months ago.
His demeanor today was similar, unapproachable, cold and kind of the smoldering attitude Ian Somerhalder used to give in Vampire Diaries lol. I had to write this as a reference as this is what he reminded me of.

Should I ignore this guy like I always do? Or there's something to it?
Anonymous #1
Any ideas
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
do you fancy him or not
Anonymous #1
(Original post by karl pilkington)
do you fancy him or not
Maybe a little bit but he's incredibly closed off and cold in demeanor. And his vibe is a bit intimidating for me
KA_P
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Definitely go speak to him if you're curious. You won't know him if you don't talk to him. He may seem intimidating but that doesn't mean he actually is. I wouldn't have found some of my best friends if I hadn't straight up went and talked to them and I'm telling you they were really intimidating.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KA_P)
Definitely go speak to him if you're curious. You won't know him if you don't talk to him. He may seem intimidating but that doesn't mean he actually is. I wouldn't have found some of my best friends if I hadn't straight up went and talked to them and I'm telling you they were really intimidating.
But I don't know if he's interested. I just noticed him today looking and his whole attitude was so cold. It scared me a bit.
KA_P
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
But I don't know if he's interested. I just noticed him today looking and his whole attitude was so cold. It scared me a bit.
Does he have to be interested for you to talk to him? There may be reasons behind his cold demeanor. He was probs staring into space thinking about something and ended up making eye contact with you. It's not like you've done anything to make him not like you, so approaching him is worth a shot and does no harm. We really shouldn't assume someone's personality or friendliness from the way they appear. But I am in no way forcing you to do something. If you're not comfortable don't do it. If you still want to talk to him, bring a friend for moral support. Also its not like you need to talk about something serious just be casual. You can do this! Positive thoughts!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KA_P)
Does he have to be interested for you to talk to him? There may be reasons behind his cold demeanor. He was probs staring into space thinking about something and ended up making eye contact with you. It's not like you've done anything to make him not like you, so approaching him is worth a shot and does no harm. We really shouldn't assume someone's personality or friendliness from the way they appear. But I am in no way forcing you to do something. If you're not comfortable don't do it. If you still want to talk to him, bring a friend for moral support. Also its not like you need to talk about something serious just be casual. You can do this! Positive thoughts!!
Yeah he was printing and standing, waiting when I saw him thinking he was my past love. He ended up making eye contact and I looked away, so did he. Then I looked back and caught him looking. But the way he was, it was like icy. He doesn't speak much or seems like a loner tbh.
KA_P
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah he was printing and standing, waiting when I saw him thinking he was my past love. He ended up making eye contact and I looked away, so did he. Then I looked back and caught him looking. But the way he was, it was like icy. He doesn't speak much or seems like a loner tbh.
Um okay I guess you want to avoid him then?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KA_P)
Um okay I guess you want to avoid him then?
Not really. Just wanted to know if he is curious or interested in me but the way the guy is, it's hard to talk
KA_P
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not really. Just wanted to know if he is curious or interested in me but the way the guy is, it's hard to talk
Maybe he needs a push from your end? Honestly it's the most difficult thing to know someone's thoughts without speaking to them. It's worth a shot is all I can say. Maybe do a bit more observing?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KA_P)
Maybe he needs a push from your end? Honestly it's the most difficult thing to know someone's thoughts without speaking to them. It's worth a shot is all I can say. Maybe do a bit more observing?
I dont see him much. But today I just noticed him watching me.
AnonFromEu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yo, So I knew a few dudes that had that vibe growing up.

I concluded that these type of people are either:

- Very shy individuals due to maybe a lack of self-esteem/confidence, may come from trauma or just a simple lack of experience.

- Have the image of being extremely shy, but are actually anxiety ridden. (Its not shyness at this point, its just pure social anxiety)

-They suffer from a mental illness such as crippling depression/anxiety as mentioned above and or more mental illnesses.

- They could be Autistic, specificially Aspergers Syndrome, however not all Aspies act that way, some are pretty social and some are not affected by social ability in general.
If you think he could be autistic, he may very well be extremely shy and I can give you a good tip by advicing you to try and make eye contact and hold it for 2 secs straight into his soul (Eyes). If he cant hold it on his part for more then 2 seconds he could very well be shy/autistic/the points above.

-If this guy just gives off bad vibes such as being creepy, best to trust your gut instincts and be careful of your surroundings in public.
THAT Being said, if thats the case and he DOES come up to you randomly, be on your guard obviously, but see what he has to say first.
Simply trust your gut.

You also mentioned and I quote:
''I just saw him help out a Jewish man who was spat on by a racist a few months ago.''

Maybe he saw you at the event where the confrontation un-folded and since he sees you at Uni he is curious on his side of things of what your oponion is on that as a witness? If that makes kinda sense.

Yeah look its hard to tell without being with you.
have you tried talking to others about him?

Also is your general vibe you worrying of what he can do as oppose to, who is this guy? Aka getting to know him or are you on the fence?
Last edited by AnonFromEu; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AnonFromEu)
Yo, So I knew a few dudes that had that vibe growing up.

I concluded that these type of people are either:

- Very shy individuals due to maybe a lack of self-esteem/confidence, may come from trauma or just a simple lack of experience.

- Have the image of being extremely shy, but are actually anxiety ridden. (Its not shyness at this point, its just pure social anxiety)

-They suffer from a mental illness such as crippling depression/anxiety as mentioned above and or more mental illnesses.

- They could be Autistic, specificially Aspergers Syndrome, however not all Aspies act that way, some are pretty social and some are not affected by social ability in general.
If you think he could be autistic, he may very well be extremely shy and I can give you a good tip by advicing you to try and make eye contact and hold it for 2 secs straight into his soul (Eyes). If he cant hold it on his part for more then 2 seconds he could very well be shy/autistic/the points above.

-If this guy just gives off bad vibes such as being creepy, best to trust your gut instincts and be careful of your surroundings in public.
THAT Being said, if thats the case and he DOES come up to you randomly, be on your guard obviously, but see what he has to say first.
Simply trust your gut.

You also mentioned and I quote:
''I just saw him help out a Jewish man who was spat on by a racist a few months ago.''

Maybe he saw you at the event where the confrontation un-folded and since he sees you at Uni he is curious on his side of things of what your oponion is on that as a witness? If that makes kinda sense.

Yeah look its hard to tell without being with you.
have you tried talking to others about him?

Also is your general vibe you worrying of what he can do as oppose to, who is this guy? Aka getting to know him or are you on the fence?
More so like who is this guy because he seems so odd. Loner type and he looked a bit scary yesterday. J thought it was my love but then I saw clearly and he had cut his hair/clean-shaven which resembled how my love looked like when he would shave. He looked I don't know how to explain. So cold and intimidating tbh
Anonymous #1
ROTL94 InfiniteWill londonmyst

Tagging some active user for replies
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Always trust your gut instinct.
If you want to walk over and say hi, that's fine.
If you prefer to ignore him unless he speaks to you, also fine.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Always trust your gut instinct.
If you want to walk over and say hi, that's fine.
If you prefer to ignore him unless he speaks to you, also fine.
I feel so odd. I ge seen him a few times and never felt this weirded out like yesterday. The type he is, he will probably never talk to me.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ROTL94 InfiniteWill londonmyst

Tagging some active user for replies
Good evening.
So, yeah, your gut instinct exists for a reason and while it can be wrong it rarely ever is, at least that's how mine works. Having said that if you esny to attempt to strike up cconversation with him, you can, but you may just find that your initial perception of him to be confirmed or you may find it to be incorrect. I am 100% very similar to your inital perception of him until you start talking to me so maybe it's the case with him as well?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ROTL94)
Good evening.
So, yeah, your gut instinct exists for a reason and while it can be wrong it rarely ever is, at least that's how mine works. Having said that if you esny to attempt to strike up cconversation with him, you can, but you may just find that your initial perception of him to be confirmed or you may find it to be incorrect. I am 100% very similar to your inital perception of him until you start talking to me so maybe it's the case with him as well?
I am 100% very similar to your inital perception. What does this mean? Sorry English isn't my first language.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am 100% very similar to your inital perception. What does this mean? Sorry English isn't my first language.
That means I can also appear to be cold and intimidating, but that's just a defence mechanism I have to keep weirdos from trying to talk to me. I'm suggesting that maybe it's the same with him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.69%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.26%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.27%
I'm finding things difficult (132)
34.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed