The Student Room Group

RESITS at uni

If I get less marks in my resits than I got the first time round, does the uni take the new lower mark or the marks from before?
Original post by Joe021
If I get less marks in my resits than I got the first time round, does the uni take the new lower mark or the marks from before?

You only resit modules that you have failed. When you do resit a failed module that is usually capped. For example if you fail a module which required you to get more than 40% then you would have to resit it. Once you resit this module, it'll be capped at 40% which means you can get a maximum percentage of 40% even if you were to get 100% in the resit.

If you have tolerated failures in your course then you won't have to resit the module if you failed it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BigPenguin3
You only resit modules that you have failed. When you do resit a failed module that is usually capped. For example if you fail a module which required you to get more than 40% then you would have to resit it. Once you resit this module, it'll be capped at 40% which means you can get a maximum percentage of 40% even if you were to get 100% in the resit.

what if I resit a module and within that module I could resit my practical assessments. so even though I had passed them the first time round, I was given the choice to redo them and achieve higher to bring my overall module grade up.
If I achieve lower, would the first marks be taken or the second?
Original post by Joe021
what if I resit a module and within that module I could resit my practical assessments. so even though I had passed them the first time round, I was given the choice to redo them and achieve higher to bring my overall module grade up.
If I achieve lower, would the first marks be taken or the second?

It would be extremely unusual for the university to let you do something that you already passed, especially since they'd have to get staff during the resit period for you to do a practical you passed. If you failed the exam which was part of that module you could pass the module if you achieve a total acceptable percentage for the module. If you didn't meet the required percentage then you'd have to redo the test and the university might even not count your practical into your new resit percentage. This means your exam would account for 100% of the total module grade but that will most likely be capped.

Almost always the resit grade would only count since if that was not the case then all students would want to resit and know they can't get below their first attempt grade.
Reply 4
Original post by BigPenguin3
It would be extremely unusual for the university to let you do something that you already passed, especially since they'd have to get staff during the resit period for you to do a practical you passed. If you failed the exam which was part of that module you could pass the module if you achieve a total acceptable percentage for the module. If you didn't meet the required percentage then you'd have to redo the test and the university might even not count your practical into your new resit percentage. This means your exam would account for 100% of the total module grade but that will most likely be capped.

Almost always the resit grade would only count since if that was not the case then all students would want to resit and know they can't get below their first attempt grade.

alright thankss

Quick Reply

Latest