Trouble meeting friends at university

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Started university again as a second year. Have found it really difficult to meet people so far. There are only four others in my flat who all seem to go off and do their own thing. They all seem nice but it doesn’t really feel like a flat or a group.
Have quite a bit of social anxiety so the thought of going off and doing my own thing and meeting new people is all a bit much for me. I missed out on staying in halls last year due to COVID so don’t know anyone on my course or in my own year. Had a really bad time last year and really don’t want this year to be the same.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Started university again as a second year. Have found it really difficult to meet people so far. There are only four others in my flat who all seem to go off and do their own thing. They all seem nice but it doesn’t really feel like a flat or a group.
Have quite a bit of social anxiety so the thought of going off and doing my own thing and meeting new people is all a bit much for me. I missed out on staying in halls last year due to COVID so don’t know anyone on my course or in my own year. Had a really bad time last year and really don’t want this year to be the same.
How are you going to cope in the real world when you can't even cope speaking to a few people in university?
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,

It is nice to hear you are having a fresh start and doing something for yourself!

Even though your flat mates are pretty independent, if they are friendly that is a great basis. You could make a group chat and see if anyone fancies a film night or an event in Freshers Week. If you suggest one evening, it may be that bridge that the group needs to come together and organise more.
Also, if you are socially anxious a film night is a great way of bonding without having to worry too much about conversation.

My flat in first year was really close but we didn't do everything together as a lot of flats seem to do. It was great that I could go out with them at least once a week and eat tea with them most nights but we all had our own friends and activities. If anything it has helped me to meet more people pretty easily as they were introduced to me!

I would recommend that you try to take the leap and go to a society. I went to one on my own and was terrified but it has definitely payed off. You will meet like minded people and everyone is in the same boat. If you head up to someone with a friendly face and ask them what course they are on or something to do with the society, you will probably surprise yourself.

I hope this helps!
Lydia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (238)
57.49%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.8%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.35%

Watched Threads