Loniness in uni during covid

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm at the end of my second day staying in a shared flat in swnasea. I haven't said anything more than hi to anyone since I got here, my other flat mates have all already gone out together and I have just sat in my room crying. Because of my anxiety I feel too awkward to start a conversation, and none of them have tried to talk to me. I haven't eaten because I feel like I can't go in the kitchen, I have never felt this lonely. It doesn't help that most of my classes are online, so I haven't met anyone on my course. Why won't anyone talk to me?
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I'm at the end of my second day staying in a shared flat in swnasea. I haven't said anything more than hi to anyone since I got here, my other flat mates have all already gone out together and I have just sat in my room crying. Because of my anxiety I feel too awkward to start a conversation, and none of them have tried to talk to me. I haven't eaten because I feel like I can't go in the kitchen, I have never felt this lonely. It doesn't help that most of my classes are online, so I haven't met anyone on my course. Why won't anyone talk to me?
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling. Remember that you are not alone and there are lots of people that you can reach out to.

It is only your second day! You still have so much time ahead of you to make lots of friends. Just take it one step at a time for now, make sure you have something to eat, even if it is something small and put yourself first. You have only missed one night and I am sure they will be welcoming.

If you are feeling anxious then start with small steps. You can pop the kettle on and ask if anyone wants a drink. Then ask them about their night out, they will have stories to tell you and you can just ask some questions. How was the club? Would they recommend it?

If they go out again, you could go with them or even just have pre drinks with them. This means you can get involved and spend time with them but go to bed and have some recharging time if you need it. If you are having fun then by all means go out!

The best ways to meet other people are go to Freshers Fair, society taster sessions and get involved with any group chats for Freshers. I know it is really hard but once you have made that first step, it comes easier each time. There is a society for pretty much everything so you will be able to find some like minded people.

Reach out to your university wellbeing team and make sure you put yourself first. You are not alone!
Lydia
ShubhamAgarwal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how get rid of loneliness
1: remember to look after yourself
2: continue in class
3: join society
4: don't feel as if you're stuck with one set of friends
5: regular exercise
6: don't allow exhaustion to impact your friendships:
7: Come out of the chamber
8: Part-time job
9: Change the lecture seat
10: Hang out in the municipality
tptp123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know its hard but please just force urself into that kitchen and u’ll realise its not that bad. Its only ur second day so try not to worry too much. U will find ur people eventually
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (113)
86.26%
No (18)
13.74%

Watched Threads