clessiec
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm wanting to take physics & astronomy at a Russell Group university (such as Cardiff). I am currently taking physics, maths and chemistry A-levels. Will it impact me if I don't take further maths as an A-level as my school doesn't offer it?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If your school doesn’t offer it then that should be mentioned in your reference so that you aren’t disadvantaged.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It will make maths topics at the start a bit more difficult, because a lot of further maths topics will come up at the start of a physics degree. Complex numbers, polar co-ordinates, differential equations, vectors and matrices are the main ones (and OCR further maths has partial differentiation). However, after first year any gap between students who took further maths and those who didn't will have closed. It is what you do once you start that matters the most.

Getting offers will for the most part be easy if your predicted grades match/exceed the entry requirements
clessiec
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If your school doesn’t offer it then that should be mentioned in your reference so that you aren’t disadvantaged.
Thank you so much! ☺️
clessiec
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
It will make maths topics at the start a bit more difficult, because a lot of further maths topics will come up at the start of a physics degree. Complex numbers, polar co-ordinates, differential equations, vectors and matrices are the main ones (and OCR further maths has partial differentiation). However, after first year any gap between students who took further maths and those who didn't will have closed. It is what you do once you start that matters the most.

Getting offers will for the most part be easy if your predicted grades match/exceed the entry requirements
Thank you! I was getting so stressed thinking I couldn’t study physics without it ☺️☺️
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by clessiec)
Thank you! I was getting so stressed thinking I couldn’t study physics without it ☺️☺️
If that were the case, then there might be at least one university that required further maths for physics courses, but there isn't. I would still recommend you learn some relevant topics by yourself next summer, including Python coding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (125)
86.81%
No (19)
13.19%

Watched Threads