This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was so excited to start my uni because I was finally away from home and I could do the things that I weren’t allowed to do back at home but now that I have moved into my dorm and met my roommates something felt off. In a week after I moved in I realised that they were treating me differently to the other roommates. Anytime they spoke to me it would be small talk, there is literally one roomate that has never spoken a word to me, I would say “good morning” and he wouldn’t say anything, they would leave me out in things and they are not even social😭. Someone pls help me with this I can’t even cook in the kitchen without feeling uncomfortable around them (btw most of them are white men. Idk why I’m in the same room with males lol)
jaygatsby82
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If it’s not too late, request a transfer to a new corridor. That sounds like a horrific environment, and one you should get out of ASAP
out 0f Time
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe it's your personality or looks? Not all white people are like this and even black or minority people can act this way
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was so excited to start my uni because I was finally away from home and I could do the things that I weren’t allowed to do back at home but now that I have moved into my dorm and met my roommates something felt off. In a week after I moved in I realised that they were treating me differently to the other roommates. Anytime they spoke to me it would be small talk, there is literally one roomate that has never spoken a word to me, I would say “good morning” and he wouldn’t say anything, they would leave me out in things and they are not even social😭. Someone pls help me with this I can’t even cook in the kitchen without feeling uncomfortable around them (btw most of them are white men. Idk why I’m in the same room with males lol)
Request a transfer, if you can. You don't want to spend your year with potentially weird people. All the best.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I just adore the idea of starting an anonymous thread with no objective in mind except to sow racial and gender division.

"I'm not having a good time and - I'm going straight there - it's all because of white men."

And I'm sorry - "roommates?" "Dorms?" What country is this?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
if u dont mind me asking, what is ur ethnicity/race?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
I just adore the idea of starting an anonymous thread with no objective in mind except to sow racial and gender division.

"I'm not having a good time and - I'm going straight there - it's all because of white men."

And I'm sorry - "roommates?" "Dorms?" What country is this?
Lol this is a real thing people experienced. I know because it's happened to me, so don't be too surprised. maybe op just wants advice on what to do
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lol this is a real thing people experienced. I know because it's happened to me, so don't be too surprised. maybe op just wants advice on what to do
Did you blame white men too?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Did you blame white men too?
no and i dont think OP does either
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
no and i dont think OP does either
So if you don't blame white men, but the issue for the OP is that they are in a flat with new "roommates" and that they are avoiding and excluding them and that they make them feel uncomfortable (and the only information we have is that they are "white men".) and the title of this thread is "My white roommates avoid me".

Yeah, I don't know where the ambiguity is here.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by out 0f Time)
Maybe it's your personality or looks? Not all white people are like this and even black or minority people can act this way
She didn’t say all white people are like this, stop bringing minorities into this, there’s a difference between racism from whites and rudeness from other blacks. U need to stop deflection, it portrays fragility and defensiveness to the issue. Denying it doesn’t help her. If she feels uncomfortable by most white men in her dorm, it’s obviously a race issue. She said good morning and they said nothing, of course it’s not a personality issue don’t be daft. Op I suggest you request to change immediately or report the hostility to the university. I had the same issue, but it was neighbours and they ended up graffitiing the N word outside my window. They got away with it since it was too late. Don’t listen to people gaslighting you, u know what you feel.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
So if you don't blame white men, but the issue for the OP is that they are in a flat with new "roommates" and that they are avoiding and excluding them and that they make them feel uncomfortable (and the only information we have is that they are "white men".) and the title of this thread is "My white roommates avoid me".

Yeah, I don't know where the ambiguity is here.
Wow another white man gaslighting the issue. Not surprised. Stop telling black ppl not everything is about race because since when has it not been in society? Why r u suggesting she’s lying? I love how u ppl deny our feelings and racial issues when u have a totally different perspective. U can’t tell a poc there isn’t racism involved when u can’t feel it. Maybe she’s international hence her vocabulary. I had the same experience, ignored it as paranoia until they ended up graffiting the N-word by my window.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wow another white man gaslighting the issue. Not surprised. Stop telling black ppl not everything is about race because since when has it not been in society? Why r u suggesting she’s lying? I love how u ppl deny our feelings and racial issues when u have a totally different perspective. U can’t tell a poc there isn’t racism involved when u can’t feel it. Maybe she’s international hence her vocabulary. I had the same experience, ignored it as paranoia until they ended up graffiting the N-word by my window.
You're so small minded and racist that you've basically assumed I'm white.

You don't even know that the OP is black, so you've assumed their race as well.

This thread has been racially charged from the get-go by the OP calling it "My white roommates avoid me". So who is making it about race?
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
You're so small minded and racist that you've basically assumed I'm white.

You don't even know that the OP is black, so you've assumed their race as well.

This thread has been racially charged from the get-go by the OP calling it "My white roommates avoid me". So who is making it about race?
Because it is about race. Assuming ur white is not racist do you not understand the definition? Racism has two syllables, “ism” standing for system. In no system have whites been generationally oppressed for race so it’s impossible for them to experience it. They only experience discrimination. Your attitude resonated with a lot of white men, hence I assumed ur white. Don’t undermine the severity of racism but claiming that as racist. I was wrong to assume she was black, but most white ppl statically and historically have targeted black people. She may be Asian u are right. OP what are you?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by out 0f Time)
I’m literally so nice lol I don’t know what I’ve done to them
Anonymous #1
if u dont mind me asking, what is ur ethnicity/race?
I’m Black Nigerian
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In no system have whites been generationally oppressed for race so it’s impossible for them to experience it.
The Arabs traded white Europeans as slaves for centuries.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
tbh it's probably because you're a girl, not because you're black
first years can sometimes be awkward af around women
Last edited by Ciel.; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Exactly what I need. I want advice on what I should do bcs I don’t even like stay in the accommodation. I feel left out 😩
Anonymous #1
Because it is about race. Assuming ur white is not racist do you not understand the definition? Racism has two syllables, “ism” standing for system. In no system have whites been generationally oppressed for race so it’s impossible for them to experience it. They only experience discrimination. Your attitude resonated with a lot of white men, hence I assumed ur white. Don’t undermine the severity of racism but claiming that as racist. I was wrong to assume she was black, but most white ppl statically and historically have targeted black people. She may be Asian u are right. OP what are you?
Hey, I’m A black woman
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (181)
55.52%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (45)
13.8%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (36)
11.04%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (31)
9.51%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
5.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.6%

Watched Threads