Medical school advice, can I get into Oxford, Imperial, Queen Mary, Exeter?

Watch
TombolaJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have these GCSES
99 88888 7777 C

UCAT
2970 Band 1

BMAT is looking strong but not taken yet

Alevels predicted
A*AA

Edit: Also I’m doing an epq not sure what grade I’m working towards tho lol
Last edited by TombolaJ; 4 weeks ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TombolaJ)
I have these GCSES
99 88888 7777 C

UCAT
2970 Band 1

Alevels predicted
A*AA
GCSEs low for Oxford ...
AnnaBananana
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,

Your best bet is to post your stats in this thread, where your post will get picked up by some very knowledgable folk

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6679038

It tells you in the first post what stats you need to include to get the most tailored advice - it can also help to have a read through at what others have been advised - although there are many pages!
TombolaJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AnnaBananana)
Hi,

Your best bet is to post your stats in this thread, where your post will get picked up by some very knowledgable folk

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6679038

It tells you in the first post what stats you need to include to get the most tailored advice - it can also help to have a read through at what others have been advised - although there are many pages!
Thanks
lysave
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TombolaJ)
I have these GCSES
99 88888 7777 C

UCAT
2970 Band 1

Alevels predicted
A*AA

Edit: Also I’m doing an epq not sure what grade I’m working towards tho lol
I would be very careful with applying to BMAT unis especially since your UCAT is very good. You won't really be able to make strategic choices with BMAT as you don't know your score so I would say only apply to 1 BMAT uni. You can make it to queen mary I think, they use tariff + ucat which is unusual so to solidify your chances maybe try to get an A* in that EPQ and/or get a predicted grade raised. Don't go for GCSE centered unis like BHAM go for UCAT centered unis. Have a look at bristol etc. xx
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd suggest steering clear of very GCSE heavy unis like Oxford. You most likely wouldn't get shortlisted for interview at least at Oxford - while your GCSEs are excellent, successful applicants to Oxford have on average a higher number and proportion of A* (8/9) grades at GCSE than you do, and GCSEs are one of only two factors they consider in shortlisting for interview (the other being the BMAT which is a gamble especially since you would to do very well to balance against your GCSEs). Better to pick another medical school you have a stronger shot of getting interviewed at.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 weeks ago
AnnaBananana
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Grades would be perfectly good for imperial or Cambridge though - GCSEs are very similar to mine. I got a decent ucat and applied strategically to three ucat unis so I was fairly confident of interviews at those. I decided I could afford to apply ‘blind’ to imperial as if I tanked the BMAT then I was likely to have three other interviews - I’d loved the imperial open day. I’m a current third year at imperial.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (153)
54.64%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (41)
14.64%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.07%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.29%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.64%

Watched Threads