First day of uni was sh*t, no one spoke to me

Watch
dy03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
First day of uni and I got to the lecture early. I just sat down in a random seat inbetween the back and middle. Probably like 70 people came in after me and not one of them sat near me. Completely wrecked my confidence. I lost a lot of weight, got a new haircut, new clothes, was smiling etc. I was actually optimistic about uni and was hoping i'll be able to make friends unlike in school, because I heard all this sh*t like basically everyone is willing to talk on your first fews days but it couldn't be further from the truth so far.

We had to do an icebreaker activity with someone near us for a few minutes and I looked like an idiot because I had no one to do it with. I just watched as everyone else did it. We did a tour around campus and did stuff in some other rooms. The whole time not 1 person spoke to me. I tried initiating conversation with 2 people but they clearly weren't interested and it didn't go anywhere so it just made me give up trying for the whole day. Uni is looking like it's just gonna be a repeat of school isn't it? I'm never going to make friends. My social anxiety isn't even preventing it this time people just avoid me.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's how my whole university experience went.

Sorry bud. :console:
kolme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds like my experience at college. It didn't even get better. Not sure what to tell you but same bro, same.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dy03)
First day of uni and I got to the lecture early. I just sat down in a random seat inbetween the back and middle. Probably like 70 people came in after me and not one of them sat near me. Completely wrecked my confidence. I lost a lot of weight, got a new haircut, new clothes, was smiling etc. I was actually optimistic about uni and was hoping i'll be able to make friends unlike in school, because I heard all this sh*t like basically everyone is willing to talk on your first fews days but it couldn't be further from the truth so far.

We had to do an icebreaker activity with someone near us for a few minutes and I looked like an idiot because I had no one to do it with. I just watched as everyone else did it. We did a tour around campus and did stuff in some other rooms. The whole time not 1 person spoke to me. I tried initiating conversation with 2 people but they clearly weren't interested and it didn't go anywhere so it just made me give up trying for the whole day. Uni is looking like it's just gonna be a repeat of school isn't it? I'm never going to make friends. My social anxiety isn't even preventing it this time people just avoid me.
What are you reading?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Yikes. I hope things get better for you man. Have you looked Into any societies that garner your interest? There you may find like minded people you can interact with.
dy03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yikes. I hope things get better for you man. Have you looked Into any societies that garner your interest? There you may find like minded people you can interact with.
I have yeah but they don't start till next week. Kinda hard to still be optimistic after being avoided like the plague by my coursemates and flatmates
Moonlight Rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Literally my exact same experience
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly give it another go. Their are so many different avenues, you’ll find your crowd if you keep looking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (243)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (55)
13.03%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
10.9%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.53%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.27%

Watched Threads