abbi rooprah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've always been a mix of a creative and sciencey person. I've decided that I'd quite like to study civil engineering.
1. do you have any advice that I could use/ any helpful websites to help me learn more more about it.
2. what universities are best to study it?
I am currently in year 12, taking Maths, Chemistry,
and Geography. aive noticed that most standard
offers are around A*AA, are there any courses
where the teaching standards are similar but entry
are equirements lower?
And how ccompetitive are the courses?
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Join the Institute of Civil engineers - ICE (free) and watch their webinars, join virtual events where possible.

There are a couple of introduction to Civil Engineering books that are worth a read. Also some suggestions here Strathclyde University Civil Engineering reading list

There are a few TV series - Impossible Engineering, Engineering Disasters, Abandoned Engineering which are interesting (although can get repetitive).

Get onto twitter - and follow some of the Civil engineering sites.

Speak to your school about work experience, or start contacting local companies for work experience. I managed to get a couple of virtual work experience weeks last year.

Go onto uni sites where you can speak to Civil Engineering students and ask them questions.

Also look at general engineering skills sites, as a lot of skills are similar across all the engineering disciplines. Learn what incorporated engineers and chartered engineers do and what you are planning to aim for.

I changed direction and have decided to follow another area of engineering so never got into it much more than that, but once you get into it you will find more you can do to immerse yourself in the subject.
abbi rooprah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
thank you so much, this is really useful
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by abbi rooprah)
I've always been a mix of a creative and sciencey person. I've decided that I'd quite like to study civil engineering.
1. do you have any advice that I could use/ any helpful websites to help me learn more more about it.
2. what universities are best to study it?
I am currently in year 12, taking Maths, Chemistry,
and Geography. aive noticed that most standard
offers are around A*AA, are there any courses
where the teaching standards are similar but entry
are equirements lower?
And how ccompetitive are the courses?
The most useful website, at least initially, will likely be the Institution of Civil Engineers: https://www.ice.org.uk/

Practical Engineering is a good Youtube channel - mainly focused on civil engineering related topics, but with a few bits and pieces more related to other disciplines: https://www.youtube.com/c/PracticalE...Channel/videos

There are no doubt many more good Youtube channels out there that I am not aware of.

In terms of entry requirements, are you sure most universities are offering A*AA? I'd have thought that'd only be the high end.
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A couple of other things Ive remembered - look into different aspects of civil engineering not just structures - how about land drainage and motorways!!!! These are the things that we need. Go and look at bridges, roads, railways and big infrastructure projects that are close to home then try to find out more about them. I joined an ICE webinar about one of the temporary entrance tunnels for hs2, the temporary works and the drainage etc needed around it, and we got to ask one of the civil engineers about his job, the different levels of civil engineering jobs on site, jobs at the design office, how each level worked together, his career so far and his future plans for chartership which was all really interesting.

Another site is the Institute of Structural Engineering ISTRUCTE web site, they will have talks too.

There is also a New Civil Engineer magazine you could try to get your hand on.

Dont be shy about asking at civil engineering consultancies for work experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (290)
57.65%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (70)
13.92%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (55)
10.93%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (42)
8.35%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.98%

Watched Threads