why are driving lesson so expensive in south east london or london?

Watch
devil.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I literally thought that a driving lesson would cost £20 - £28 per hour for a manual and automatic lesson in London, more especially south east London. However, when doing my research on google and yell for driving lessons they will charge £30 or more for manual lesson and £40 or more for automatic lesson per hour, compared to my old driving lesson back at the university campus as they will charge me £26 per hour for the manual lesson and £30 per hour for automatic lessons?

why is it so expensive to learn how to drive in London compared to other parts in the UK? and can anyone recommend me an affordable driving lesson south east London?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by devil.)
Hi, I literally thought that a driving lesson would cost £20 - £28 per hour for a manual and automatic lesson in London, more especially south east London. However, when doing my research on google and yell for driving lessons they will charge £30 or more for manual lesson and £40 or more for automatic lesson per hour, compared to my old driving lesson back at the university campus as they will charge me £26 per hour for the manual lesson and £30 per hour for automatic lessons?

why is it so expensive to learn how to drive in London compared to other parts in the UK? and can anyone recommend me an affordable driving lesson south east London?
Higher cost of living, insurance, supply and demand. If they couldn't get enough clients, they'd lower their prices.

It doesn't seem that expensive, given that it includes the car, petrol, and insurance, IMO. I paid over £50 an hour for a block of 6 for my daughter here (California).
Last edited by RogerOxon; 3 weeks ago
Bazookaboobs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I paid £20 for mine, but my instructor increased it to £25 after a while (though he and I were friendly, so he let me off). London is expensive, not surprised it's that much.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your price assumptions are a bit out of date imo (I was 25 an hour about 5 years ago, and that was decent) and as others said, you'll face a hike for London AND a Covid hike.
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am in Scotland and when I was looking for lessons earlier this year they were mostly between £27 - £33 an hour. I was very lucky and got one with spaces at £25/hour but that price wasn't common.

London generally is a more expensive for everything "The average salary in London is £41,017, compared to £27,856 in the North East or £28,125 in Wales.".

London based driving instructors will need to earn a higher salary to live in London.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd guess it can probably quite efficient to give driving lessons to uni students living on campus cos they'll have timetable gaps scattered throughout the day and probably a lot of them want picking up and dropping off in the same few postcodes.

Non student driving school students are mostly going to all want their lessons in an afternoon / evening surge after they've finished work or school for the day and they're going to be more geographically scattered so the instructor has times of day when they want to work but doesn't have demand for lessons... and then spend more of their time driving between pickups.

More efficiency means the instructor can charge less and still make a living
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads