I did bad on my UCAT and don't know if i should apply to dentistry

Watch
Marryam__x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So i got a low score of 2340 and band 2 in my UCAT. I spent the whole day panicking and now I need to know if i should go forward. I'm aware that my score is blow average and that Dentistry is already so competitive. My hopes were to apply for Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds (which I know is a BMAT) but the top choice was Manchester. Is my UCAT too low to even get an offer from there? I was planning on applying for both foundation year and undergraduate course at Manchester for dentistry.
spectrum84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Marryam__x)
So i got a low score of 2340 and band 2 in my UCAT. I spent the whole day panicking and now I need to know if i should go forward. I'm aware that my score is blow average and that Dentistry is already so competitive. My hopes were to apply for Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds (which I know is a BMAT) but the top choice was Manchester. Is my UCAT too low to even get an offer from there? I was planning on applying for both foundation year and undergraduate course at Manchester for dentistry.
U CAN still get in to dentistry. If u apply strategically, some unis don't have much emphasis in the UCAT. Plus there's also BMAT if u think u could do that
Marryam__x
Rep:
?
(Original post by spectrum84)
U CAN still get in to dentistry. If u apply strategically, some unis don't have much emphasis in the UCAT. Plus there's also BMAT if u think u could do that
I am planning on BMAT but only one university i'm applying to consider BMAT which is Leeds. Although my chances aren't very high I think I might just go and apply for manchester regardless. Test my luck
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am planning on BMAT but only one university i'm applying to consider BMAT which is Leeds. Although my chances aren't very high I think I might just go and apply for manchester regardless. Test my luck
I wouldn't recommend that, if u don't think u can get in, u might be wasting a choice for a uni that u do have a chance for.
But if u feel u have no other choice then go for it, good luck
Marryam__x
Rep:
?
I wouldn't recommend that, if u don't think u can get in, u might be wasting a choice for a uni that u do have a chance for.
But if u feel u have no other choice then go for it, good luck
I get your point. Its just that theres not many unis in the uk that offer undergraduate dentistry and like I mentioned before, moving out is off the table no matter how much i've tried to convince my parents. I'm not sure what other options are left for me I just feel so disheartened by the whole thin because I was doing so well in my mocks.
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I get your point. Its just that theres not many unis in the uk that offer undergraduate dentistry and like I mentioned before, moving out is off the table no matter how much i've tried to convince my parents. I'm not sure what other options are left for me I just feel so disheartened by the whole thin because I was doing so well in my mocks.
Focus on ur A Levels for the time being, if u get the grades u need u can take a gap year and reapply next year, u don't have to move out if ur parents won't let u, just try again next year
Marryam__x
Rep:
?
Focus on ur A Levels for the time being, if u get the grades u need u can take a gap year and reapply next year, u don't have to move out if ur parents won't let u, just try again next year
Thank you. How about you are you applying this year?
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you. How about you are you applying this year?
Yeah but i finished college so I'm applying for 2022 entry
Marryam__x
Rep:
?
Yeah but i finished college so I'm applying for 2022 entry
Did you take a gap year? what are you applying to?
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Did you take a gap year? what are you applying to?
In a way, yeah I am
I'm applying for med, didn't get in last year
Marryam__x
Rep:
?
In a way, yeah I am
I'm applying for med, didn't get in last year
Goodluck with this year i'm sure you'll get in! how was ur UCAT?
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Goodluck with this year i'm sure you'll get in! how was ur UCAT?
I hope so, good luck u too
My UCAT was better than last year, I got 2620, I'm hoping it's good enough.
BTW there's a specific UCAT thread where u can enter ur results and compare with other TSR users, here's the link:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7069177
Medic Mind
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,
Unfortunately your UCAT is quite low but you do have BMAT and just like someone else said in this thread, you can focus on your A levels and take a gap year to retake your UCAT which I know may not sound great now but it's a common thing that so many people do so if Dentistry is your dream, you can get there!

If you have any questions when reapplying, I'd be more than happy to help

Numra
Year 4 Bristol Dental Student
Medic Mind
Marryam__x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Medic Mind)
Hi,
Unfortunately your UCAT is quite low but you do have BMAT and just like someone else said in this thread, you can focus on your A levels and take a gap year to retake your UCAT which I know may not sound great now but it's a common thing that so many people do so if Dentistry is your dream, you can get there!

Numra
Medic Mind
So taking into account everything you don't think I really have a chance of getting in? Even with good predicted grades and personal statement? Should I even make the effort of applying this year or is there really no chance
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So taking into account everything you don't think I really have a chance of getting in? Even with good predicted grades and personal statement? Should I even make the effort of applying this year or is there really no chance
U do have a chance but it may be risky to applying to places like Sheffield. Manchester, however, have no cutoff but they do have a ranking system. There's more about that here https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/stu...ry/apply/ucat/
If u do the BMAT and get a high score u could get in to Leeds, but that's if u want to take that risk.
The Manchester foundation year is only for applicants who take subjects unsuitable for the 5 year entry, i.e. not bio or chem so u wouldn't be able to apply for both.
dent0202
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hi. Which unis don’t place much emphasis on ucat?
dent0202
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Medic Mind)
Hi,

Numra
Medic Mind
hi Numra is 2520 band 1 too low a UCAT score for Bristol?
My a levels are A*AA and A in EPQ and B in LiBF exam. GCSEs are 778888888899
I have lots of work experience and have done lots of care work also
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by dent0202)
U weren't supposed to ask me that 😅
If u post in the which dental school thread ,u should get some responses, I'll paste the link somewhere
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by dent0202)
Post ur stats here
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6696400
dent0202
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.97%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.75%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.26%
I'm finding things difficult (126)
34.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.49%

Watched Threads